What's new

First taste of Hawaii'an Awa, at home

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Tasting the Kava. Remarkably smooth, flavor of clean wood. The only English word I know for how it feels having good Kava touch your tongue is numbing, this sensational mouth experience is extended to gums and cheeks, roof of mouth, under tongue, indicating it is not limited to taste buds on tongue.

Recipe: 1/2 cup (8tbsp) Hiwa from Hawaii [1/8 of the 1lb], few shells of hot water, reasonable time of kneading and squeezing Kava roots in clean strainer bag and bowl of water.

Appearance: Seemed to turn dark halfway through brewing, the result is fresh Kava light brown, like all Kava's, will photograph when available. I enjoyed it all within 45 minutes after preparing it.

Enjoying at home, coldest night of the season so far. It feels more like winter is beginning than summer ending.
This tea has left an earthy smell on my hands and the insides of my fingers.
Amazing Kava, Bula to you who reads this.

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
Ive discovered this year that Hawaiian is my favorite kava so far. It taste alot better and doesn't bother my stomach so much as Vanuatu or tongan. And the fresh frozen from ROH is absolutely amazing. Best Hawaiian so far is Papa kea really looking forward to trying fresh frozen Nene next!

Palmetto

Thank God!
Just finished a pound each of Mo'i and Hiwa. Mo'i is very good for a happy feeling. After 3 tries, I might not get Hiwa again for a long time. For me, Mo'i has a special place, and it would take a lot for another kava to replace it for the happy feeling without being to kavain heavy inducing bronchial phlegm, as high kavain cultivars often do to me. Kumakua is another awesome Hawaiian cultivar, albeit not as high in KLs. Papa Kea makes me jittery. I do like the punch it carries, but it's not good right before bed. Papa Ele Ele makes me dopey. Pana Ewa is pretty awesome for a heady kava, and Hanikapi Ai is Hawaii's version of a Vanuatu style cultivar. I'm still waiting to try Opihikao and Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Just finished a pound each of Mo'i and Hiwa. Mo'i is very good for a happy feeling. After 3 tries, I might not get Hiwa again for a long time. For me, Mo'i has a special place, and it would take a lot for another kava to replace it for the happy feeling without being to kavain heavy inducing bronchial phlegm, as high kavain cultivars often do to me. Kumakua is another awesome Hawaiian cultivar, albeit not as high in KLs. Papa Kea makes me jittery. I do like the punch it carries, but it's not good right before bed. Papa Ele Ele makes me dopey. Pana Ewa is pretty awesome for a heady kava, and Hanikapi Ai is Hawaii's version of a Vanuatu style cultivar. I'm still waiting to try Opihikao and Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu.
How would you compare Pana Ewa to Mo'i in terms of heady effects? Which one is better for that kavain 'happy feeling' without getting too lethargic/sedating? I almost exclusively drink Mo'i but maybe I should branch out.

Palmetto

Thank God!
@Mo'iety I think that both make me feel very happy. Pana Ewa speeds me up if I have work to do. Neither is sedating to me. I really like both, but maybe a slight edge to Mo'i. Pana Ewa makes me feel more talkative and walk faster than Mo'i. Mo'i is better for a happy relaxed chill, but it's not remotely body heavy. Pana Ewa is harder to get a hold of though.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I'm still loving my Hiwa, having several shells tonight by a candle.

I tried Nene, Moi, and Mahakea, as well as the aforementioned mixed with Squanch Waka at appropriate ratios. I may have to get a larger amount than 4oz each to decide how those cultivars are for me. They are great Kava, I shared plenty, and they blend well with Fiji'an medium grind.

The Hiwa is excellent for me. Will stock my cupboard with it again.