What's new

Wisdom teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
The dentist recommends not having it 2 days before surgery but this is based obviously off the idea that it's a major sedative, and also some blood platelet thing he read online after a quick Google search lol.
Just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with being put under while drinking kava the day before etc.
He also recommends no cannabis for 2 days prior for same sedative reason

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I would ask. Nitrous is expensive and IMO is way overkill for tooth extractions unless there is some complication that requires cutting into the jaw or something of that nature. As far as the local anesthetics go, I've had a few procedures done and none of my herbs have caused any problems. Depending on your pain tolerance and how cleanly the teeth are removed you may be in some significant discomfort (pain) after the numbing wears off.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I would say it depends on how heavy you've been drinking the kava recently. I know when I'm fully soaked after a long time of drinking strong kava daily I would probably still be feeling it a few days later. Could be because I only really drink heavy kavas. If you've been drinking sporadically or relatively light use of heady kavas then I would say a day off would be fine.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Hmm. Okay you were put under ? And what herbs did you use ?
I did my wisdom teeth at different times. They used nitrous once and all the others just used the localized numbing shots. The nitrous situation was before kava and I wouldn't do it again if I ever need an extraction. The process usually doesn't take long and if they numb it right all you feel is some pressure. I stick with my usual kava, cannabis and lemon balm at night and my normal K@ routine during the day (this is especially effective for the dental pain and reduction of inflammation after). Some dentists used to prescribe low dose benzos to calm people with high anxiety for these procedures and none of those herbs have depressant effects anywhere close to a benzo so I personally don't worry about that aspect if all they are doing is numbing my mouth.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks Self bias

@Edward now im wondering if i am being put under or just misheard him the day of. Im not sure. Ill have to call.... either way i had kava today and will stop after this last few sips i have left, have none the rest of today and none tomorrow and report back on thursday after its done to let you guys know if anything happened for future

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Had my wisdom teeth out in the 1990's. 3 out of 4 were impacted and they did some serious digging and grinding, so the doc put me under. I think it started with IV sodium thiopental with a maintenance flow of some sort of nose gas.

I was sixteen years old, and pretty square at the time. When I came to, there was no nausea, though they told me I totally flirted with one of the nurses like a complete dork.

Aftercare was lots of gauze changes and no solid food for a couple of days. I think they may have given me a script for percocet (oxycodone/acetominaphen) but honestly the pain afterwards was not that bad. I've broken bones and torn tendons. The aftermath of having power tools excavating your face bones, when operated by a qualified oral surgeon, is nowhere near as uncomfortable as those other kinds of injuries.

Two shells up for dental surgeons.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks Self bias

@Edward now im wondering if i am being put under or just misheard him the day of. Im not sure. Ill have to call.... either way i had kava today and will stop after this last few sips i have left, have none the rest of today and none tomorrow and report back on thursday after its done to let you guys know if anything happened for future
If it's just novocaine or lidocaine then kava is fine with it. I asked the question once and none other than @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava gave me the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.