What's new

2 part question

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
Has anyone on here had their gallbladder removed or had problems with their gallbladder the more I talk to my father and learn about his gallbladder removal the more my stomach issues seem to make sense and it seems to get worse when I drink traditional kava,. So I'm wondering if anyone on here has had theirs removed or had stones,cuz I'm probably going to have to get mine removed and does it cause a problem for you with drinking traditional kava? and then the second part of my question is does anyone see any problem using the CO2 extract from Root of Happiness and their tincture in place of my daily kava consumption? Just in case I can't drink traditional kava anymore which would really suck. by the way if I can't drink traditional kava anymore I have an open bag of Vanuatu tudei 250g with maybe 5 tablespoons taken out of it from nakamal at home, you read that right. Just wanna trade for co2 extract or kava candies.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
You and I have discussed this a little bit. My grandma had hers out and my doc tested mine and said it was almost non-functional after I had a few mild attacks years ago. Certain kava seemed to exacerbate it (similar to how alcohol does) but I found kavas that didn't give me much trouble and have built my use around that concept (i.e. very careful with Bula kava house stuff and other heavies) I had pains but never stones afaik. I'm super curious to hear about others experience because I may need mine out someday in the future (really hope not). I take milk thistle daily and occasionally an amla regiment (herb) when it acts up and it seems to work for the last 3-4 years. Also I use apple cider vinegar here and there and eat apples daily for malic acid. I don't know if either of the herbs are truly an effective treatment for my form of gallbladder issue but I know that milk thistle takes stress off liver while it works double time for the gallbladder and it may also help with inflammation and Stimulate gall production. Amla Is believed to prevent the formation of gallstones... Both are really gentle herbs with mostly a nourishing type of tonic effect that does the body well regardless. I do still suffer from bloating quite regularly and excessive belching but I'm not certain that those are related. As far as gallbladder pain I maybe will get a cramp that hurts at a 1 or 2/10 every couple of weeks.. more like uncomfortable awareness of the area than actual pain. when I first had it checked the pain would be 5-8/10 when it hit.

Im scared to have mine out because I have heard stories of the problems persisting after it is removed and the occasional horror story of long term nausea and similar as a result of having it out. And there's no going back once it's out. I definitely don't want to scare anyone out of it I have just heard a few accounts of these issues. So for me it is definitely a matter of whether it's necessary or if it becomes necessary down the road...

Curious for OP: do you get the same issue from alcohol or fatty foods? Also, was it you who thought you may have a allergy to gluten? Did that prove to be related in any way?

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
You and I have discussed this a little bit. My grandma had hers out and my doc tested mine and said it was almost non-functional after I had a few mild attacks years ago. Certain kava seemed to exacerbate it (similar to how alcohol does) but I found kavas that didn't give me much trouble and have built my use around that concept (i.e. very careful with Bula kava house stuff and other heavies) I had pains but never stones afaik. I'm super curious to hear about others experience because I may need mine out someday in the future (really hope not). I take milk thistle daily and occasionally an amla regiment (herb) when it acts up and it seems to work for the last 3-4 years. Also I use apple cider vinegar here and there and eat apples daily for malic acid. I don't know if either of the herbs are truly an effective treatment for my form of gallbladder issue but I know that milk thistle takes stress off liver while it works double time for the gallbladder and it may also help with inflammation and Stimulate gall production. Amla Is believed to prevent the formation of gallstones... Both are really gentle herbs with mostly a nourishing type of tonic effect that does the body well regardless. I do still suffer from bloating quite regularly and excessive belching but I'm not certain that those are related. As far as gallbladder pain I maybe will get a cramp that hurts at a 1 or 2/10 every couple of weeks.. more like uncomfortable awareness of the area than actual pain. when I first had it checked the pain would be 5-8/10 when it hit.

Im scared to have mine out because I have heard stories of the problems persisting after it is removed and the occasional horror story of long term nausea and similar as a result of having it out. And there's no going back once it's out. I definitely don't want to scare anyone out of it I have just heard a few accounts of these issues. So for me it is definitely a matter of whether it's necessary or if it becomes necessary down the road...

Curious for OP: do you get the same issue from alcohol or fatty foods? Also, was it you who thought you may have a allergy to gluten? Did that prove to be related in any way?
Yes it definitely reacts with alcohol and fatty foods I feel like this attack came on after eating prosciutto for basically two straight weeks. And my doctor said gluten allergy is real but I don't have celiac, for example I'll notice pain when I have a normal plate of breaded chicken but not a few bites of a cookie. I took your advice with the apple cider vinegar and I now use Fire Cider every other day and I will try milk thistle for sure. The worst if this attack seems to be over, I know it's the devil on here but thank god for K@ WHEN YOU NEED IT FOR PAIN. Ibuprofen aspirin and naproxen sodium don't do shit, I really wish I lived in early 1900's when u could get morphine over the counter :wacky:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Has anyone on here had their gallbladder removed or had problems with their gallbladder the more I talk to my father and learn about his gallbladder removal the more my stomach issues seem to make sense and it seems to get worse when I drink traditional kava,. So I'm wondering if anyone on here has had theirs removed or had stones,cuz I'm probably going to have to get mine removed and does it cause a problem for you with drinking traditional kava? and then the second part of my question is does anyone see any problem using the CO2 extract from Root of Happiness and their tincture in place of my daily kava consumption? Just in case I can't drink traditional kava anymore which would really suck. by the way if I can't drink traditional kava anymore I have an open bag of Vanuatu tudei 250g with maybe 5 tablespoons taken out of it from nakamal at home, you read that right. Just wanna trade for co2 extract or kava candies.
My wife was having issues a few years ago. My best recommendation is to get yourself a good gastroenterologist. They can do a lot of testing and monitoring to help see what is going on with the gall bladder. Her issues turned out to be more of a SIBO issue, but they looked very closely at the gall bladder function due to family history.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
My wife was having issues a few years ago. My best recommendation is to get yourself a good gastroenterologist. They can do a lot of testing and monitoring to help see what is going on with the gall bladder. Her issues turned out to be more of a SIBO issue, but they looked very closely at the gall bladder function due to family history.
Was she experiencing gallbladder problems because of the SIBO? Since I don't have stones I wonder if my issue is because of something else triggering it. My doctor said I was the youngest patient he's ever seen with a non-functional gallbladder when I had the test done. At the time I don't think I was even 20.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Was she experiencing gallbladder problems because of the SIBO? Since I don't have stones I wonder if my issue is because of something else triggering it. My doctor said I was the youngest patient he's ever seen with a non-functional gallbladder when I had the test done. At the time I don't think I was even 20.
No, turned out her gall bladder was just fine. They just wanted to rule it out so they did a bunch of testing. She went on antibiotics, then probiotics but the thing that really helped her was to cut out gluten. Yeah I know what all the science says about gluten not being an issue unless you are full blown celiac but there is no denying that her SIBO symptoms come back when she eats gluten. After a bunch of FODMAP and other restrictive diets and slowly reintroducing foods the one food that consistently caused issues was gluten. She has been gluten free for 3+ years and the problem has not returned.

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
Thankyou very much!

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm impressed.
Well I have this thing where I half-way dehydrate the prosciutto , it draws out all the fatty oils and taking a bite out of that (just out of the dehydrator warm) prosciutto is what I imagine the pigs from heaven taste like, as if prosciutto wasn't already heavenly/sexy enough

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Well I have this thing where I half-way dehydrate the prosciutto , it draws out all the fatty oils and taking a bite out of that (just out of the dehydrator warm) prosciutto is what I imagine the pigs from heaven taste like, as if prosciutto wasn't already heavenly/sexy enough
That sounds fantastic. Prosciutto is one of my favorite foods ever. It's just so expensive and few people even know what it is around here, so if you manage to get it, it's usually super dry from being in the package forever.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
That sounds fantastic. Prosciutto is one of my favorite foods ever. It's just so expensive and few people even know what it is around here, so if you manage to get it, it's usually super dry from being in the package forever.
This is why I can never move away from a Wegmans. They will fresh slice it paper thin right there in the deli.