What's new

I need advice

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Please both report back on the results. This is something I keep talking about and yet I still see people asking questions about it, and I mean people who have been members for a long time. We need to get the message out there a bit more it seems.
So it’s been almost 2 weeks and things haven’t improved. Started doing 3 coconut pills twice a day after 4 days. Using a lot of lotion. My back is the worst. No I’m definitely not drinking a lot of water. Wondering if I should purchase the green or blue AmLactin. Thanks.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So it’s been almost 2 weeks and things haven’t improved. Started doing 3 coconut pills twice a day after 4 days. Using a lot of lotion. My back is the worst. No I’m definitely not drinking a lot of water. Wondering if I should purchase the green or blue AmLactin. Thanks.
You will need to drink more water but I'm surprised the capsules haven't made a difference.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I used the green amlactin, and it definitely set my skin ablaze when I had active dermapothy. If your skin is split, it'll heal it, but only after paying homage to the gods of fire and pain. If your skin isn't split, then you're good to go.
Whoah I'm definitely glad the coconut oil capsules work for me!!!

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
I used the green amlactin, and it definitely set my skin ablaze when I had active dermapothy. If your skin is split, it'll heal it, but only after paying homage to the gods of fire and pain. If your skin isn't split, then you're good to go.
Well I’m not sure if it’s Kava related but I’m assuming it is. Now I have a stye. I looked up previous posts in particular the detailed instructions by @Krunkie McKrunkface

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Well I’m not sure if it’s Kava related but I’m assuming it is. Now I have a stye. I looked up previous posts in particular the detailed instructions by @Krunkie McKrunkface
Styes are commonplace with kava especially if you're wearing contacts. Kava interferes with the production of sebum in some way (hence the dermo on the skin) and it can cause issues. When I swapped to glasses from contacts my issues curtailed immensely. I still get them occasionally (maybe 2 a year), but they're nowhere near as common as when I was wearing contacts. I think most of it has to do with just the simple act of touching your eye area continually throughout the day. I think wearing contacts makes you much more prone to rubbing your eyes.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Styes are commonplace with kava especially if you're wearing contacts. Kava interferes with the production of sebum in some way (hence the dermo on the skin) and it can cause issues. When I swapped to glasses from contacts my issues curtailed immensely. I still get them occasionally (maybe 2 a year), but they're nowhere near as common as when I was wearing contacts. I think most of it has to do with just the simple act of touching your eye area continually throughout the day. I think wearing contacts makes you much more prone to rubbing your eyes.

I do wear glasses, have been using lots of lotion on my body including my face and my wife’s grandma passed the night before; so there were reasons that my eyes could have become agitated. Thanks again guys. Always there with the best advice available. Consuming more water and ordering AmLactin. I think everything will be good soon. Sucks to have to go through all these bumps in the road but the ends justify the means

C

catharee

Just by reading this thread I've learned a lot already I'm still checking out Kava and considering of using it but still on wary stage

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Just by reading this thread I've learned a lot already I'm still checking out Kava and considering of using it but still on wary stage
Just for reference you typically need to drink a lot of kava daily for dermo to really affect you. For example, when I first started it took 8-9 months of 3-4TBS of microgrind per day before I saw the first signs of dermo. Now I drink 8-12TBS of medium grind per day and it only occasionally flares up. My wife drinks almost daily but only about 4TBS of medium grind and never has had an issue. It is 100% completely reversible if you stop. It maybe the only real downside of drinking kava - but for someone new not something to really be concerned about. As far as unwanted side effects go it is pretty minor compared to other substances.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
My latest dermo bout has been on my hands and lips. (Eyes, neck and armpits are fine this time.

CE18BA43-DE6C-424D-927E-19B8E6545CCC.jpeg

I don’t think my skin has ever split. It just gets dry and scaly. Not flaky like dandruff. More like, the epidermis (which is made of dead skin cells) that would normally flake off decides to stick around in extra layers.

Here’s what I’ve found after years of drinking kava:

1) Staying hydrated is the nambawan way to keep your skin healthy. Don’t worry about your epidermis, cause it’s just a replacable outer armor made of dead cells. Hydrate for your LIVING cells underneath.

2) dermo always looks worse after bathing.

3) as long as your skin isn’t split, a mild exfoliation followed by some moiusturizer will make you look normal just fine.

4) don’t rub your eyes! Styes are rather uncomfortable. When you think you might rub your eye, just imagine what it would be like to have a hard painful unpoppable pimple right on the edge of your eyelid, and don’t rub yer dang eyes.

5) dermo always gets worse before it gets better. There are a million stories about how dermo got worse after quitting kava cold turkey. I say: don’t quit kava. Instead, drink a shell of pure water for every shell of kava, in addition to all the water you should be already drinking. I much prefer being known at the guy who has to pee 99 times a day than the kava skin guy.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I do wear glasses, have been using lots of lotion on my body including my face and my wife’s grandma passed the night before; so there were reasons that my eyes could have become agitated. Thanks again guys. Always there with the best advice available. Consuming more water and ordering AmLactin. I think everything will be good soon. Sucks to have to go through all these bumps in the road but the ends justify the means
I wouldn't give up on the coconut oil, it could be that it will take a bit longer to work or it could be that it will help prevent any future flare ups.

For styes look for eye drops containing benzalkonium chloride. That kills the staphylococcus bacteria that causes eye problems.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My latest dermo bout has been on my hands and lips. (Eyes, neck and armpits are fine this time.

View attachment 10224

I don’t think my skin has ever split. It just gets dry and scaly. Not flaky like dandruff. More like, the epidermis (which is made of dead skin cells) that would normally flake off decides to stick around in extra layers.

Here’s what I’ve found after years of drinking kava:

1) Staying hydrated is the nambawan way to keep your skin healthy. Don’t worry about your epidermis, cause it’s just a replacable outer armor made of dead cells. Hydrate for your LIVING cells underneath.

2) dermo always looks worse after bathing.

3) as long as your skin isn’t split, a mild exfoliation followed by some moiusturizer will make you look normal just fine.

4) don’t rub your eyes! Styes are rather uncomfortable. When you think you might rub your eye, just imagine what it would be like to have a hard painful unpoppable pimple right on the edge of your eyelid, and don’t rub yer dang eyes.

5) dermo always gets worse before it gets better. There are a million stories about how dermo got worse after quitting kava cold turkey. I say: don’t quit kava. Instead, drink a shell of pure water for every shell of kava, in addition to all the water you should be already drinking. I much prefer being known at the guy who has to pee 99 times a day than the kava skin guy.
Whew boy, you crispy! That's some alligator skin if I ever saw it.

oh, and a friendly FYI, don't use packing tape to "exfoliate". Stupid lesson learned.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
I wouldn't give up on the coconut oil, it could be that it will take a bit longer to work or it could be that it will help prevent any future flare ups.

For styes look for eye drops containing benzalkonium chloride. That kills the staphylococcus bacteria that causes eye problems.
Not giving up or reducing. I’ve increased water consumption, ordered AmLactin and I’m currently pissing money away at urgent care to try to get help with what is now 2 eyes with styes. Yes I am consuming more than what is considered average amounts of Kava. 3-4 washes of 3 fist fulls of makas for my full daily use and 4 spoons in aluballs before dinner. I’m not rocking open sores but the severely dry and shriveled hands are annoying and the constant flaky skin and old man looking skin on my back and low neck are embarrassing. I’ll survive and I feel like if it hasn’t gotten worse beyond the styes that I’m going in the right direction. Thanks guys. Have a great day

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
::chugger::::chugger::

Good morning to all on a foggy day from Amish country Pennsylvania,

I am happy to report that I have finally seen a reversal in Dermo symptoms.

First off; I would like to thank this forum and it’s members for recommendations and guidance in what may seem like a minor annoyance or maybe even just an isolated reaction that some experience but to many including myself is concerning, uncomfortable, painful and embarrassing.

I want to share how I believe that I finally remedied the condition. The importance of hydration cannot be overstated. Not just for Kava users but all creatures on this planet. We need to be consuming more water. I continued taking my vitamins and medications as normal. The dryness and cracking on my hands has been a struggle since the beginning so I started using powder free gloves when doing traditional prep. I am now more diligent of my use of lotions including AmLactin over my entire body. Gently removing dead and flaking skin in the shower with soap and a washcloth also helped. The last hurdle was to reverse what became styes in both eyes. Ive used an ointment that was prescribed to me. Although it took almost 2 weeks; I am happy to report that this morning I noticed a drastic reduction and almost miraculous vanishing of both styes.

I wanted to share this with you all in the hope that it helps anyone experiencing Dermo. More importantly; I want to share this so that anyone new to Kava or lurking about and on the fence does not get discouraged and discontinues use. I cannot be any more confident in stating that Kava has transformed my life in such a dramatically positive and enlightening way in such a short time.

Thank you again to this forum, everyone that has ever posted anything on this forum, to anyone that has responded to any of my requests and most importantly to Kava.
Have a great day everyone and Bula!