What's new

Australia to trial commercial kava imports in 2020

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
People will be allowed to bring up to four kilograms of kava into Australia for their personal use by the end of this year.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison told Fiji's leader Frank Bainimarama about the new settings for kava during their bilateral meeting in Suva on Friday.
The new limit of four kilograms, which is twice the current amount allowed, will be applicable from the end of the year.
The nation will then trial a program for commercial imports at the end of 2020.
Mr Morrison has described it as a win for Australia and the Pacific family.
The news was well-received by Mr Bainimarama, who joked that all of Fiji had been waiting for it.
The bitter drink, which has mild sedative and euphoric properties, is culturally important in Pacific communities but has had import restrictions in Australia for many years.
Vanuatu Prime Minister Charlot Salwai first raised the idea with Mr Morrison while in Port Vila in January.
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6434097/morrison-ups-kava-imports-in-nod-to-fiji/?cs=7

verticity

I'm interested in things
Good news for kava producing nations and Australia. But I wonder what "commercial imports" means. Will Australians be able to buy kava powder, or will it just mean imports for OTC pharma products?

Clearly the right just thing to do, but I do nonetheless also wonder about my own selfish interests as a US kava consumer; will we see our prices go up even further?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
But I wonder what "commercial imports" means. Will Australians be able to buy kava powder, or will it just mean imports for OTC pharma products?
Yeah it remains to be seen what shape and form that will take. However, commercial imports for OTC pharma products are already legal, so I presume they're talking about allowing the import of real kava.

I do nonetheless also wonder about my own selfish interests as a US kava consumer; will we see our prices go up even further?
That's a very valid concern. The market can't bear much higher prices. With every man and his dog in the Pacific Islands planting kava to take advantage of the current high prices (great for growers), my (selfish) concern was that in 2-3 years prices would drop significantly. The Australian market opening up should keep prices from dropping, but if it causes prices to rise even further, PI farmers will have to start worrying about non-kava nations (Brazil, Indonesia, etc) entering the fray.

Mystic

Kava Curious
Kava is available freely on Amazon and Amazon.au
I can’t believe it, says the program last for two years, already I’m having anxiety about the Government taking it away one day. What do I buy first? I’m in Kava heaven.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Kava is available freely on Amazon and Amazon.au
I can’t believe it, says the program last for two years, already I’m having anxiety about the Government taking it away one day. What do I buy first? I’m in Kava heaven.
The law hasn't changed so importation except when carried by an inbound traveller is still illegal. Unfortunately your kava is likely to get confiscated if you buy it from Amazon.
You'll have to wait until late in the year for kava to become available inside Australia.

Mystic

Kava Curious
In the past Kava was never available to Australia on Amazon. I believe they are now importing it due to the trial this year. Obviously they are not breaking the law and so must have permission from the government. If the item doesn’t arrive you get a refund and there are other reviews from Australia showing up on Amazon. I only found one that was confiscated and he bought it in December. He blamed border patrol for not knowing the new rules and not Amazon. I bought some noble Waka and will let you know how it goes. I was only able to purchase one item of each product.

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
In the past Kava was never available to Australia on Amazon. I believe they are now importing it due to the trial this year. Obviously they are not breaking the law and so must have permission from the government. If the item doesn’t arrive you get a refund and there are other reviews from Australia showing up on Amazon. I only found one that was confiscated and he bought it in December. He blamed border patrol for not knowing the new rules and not Amazon. I bought some noble Waka and will let you know how it goes. I was only able to purchase one item of each product.
Keep us in the loop of how your Amazon order goes. I ordered an AluBall last week and customs held it for 3 days because there was “Kava” in the items description. Delivery was US to Melbourne, Aus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
Hey, did your Amazon order make it to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t0mt0m

The trial is for higher personal allowance, not commercial imports. Some vendors have always been shipping to Australia, but this doesn't make it legal. You are still the importer and the customs reg has not changed yet. It is still a crime to import kava by mail into Australia. If you don't believe us, just call your customs.

The reason why some vendors send it to Aussie is that they know it will not be them who might be facing legal problems, but the customer.
It has been legal for certain preparations for some time. I bought Taki Mai Kava capsules online a couple of years ago. They are a subsidiary of this Fiji Kava company that sells on Amazon and will soon be in stores.
It's ok as long as the company imports it and ships it from their domestic warehouses, as far as I can tell. Customs doesn't even check it because it;s domestic, so there's no risk to the consumer either.

It's never been illegal to buy and sell within Australia, as far as I know. Hell, I bought a kilo of the stuff a decade ago, with no stealth packaging or anything. Couldn't have a more suspicious package of powder in a plastic brick shape. No issues. The Happy High Herbs shop have been selling a Kava extract for years (completely useless and dodgy product from a dodgy person, never buy it, it does nothing and doesn't even taste like Kava).

And actually you can buy Johnson's Kava tablets in pharmacies. Don't buy them either though.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It has been legal for certain preparations for some time. I bought Taki Mai Kava capsules online a couple of years ago. They are a subsidiary of this Fiji Kava company that sells on Amazon and will soon be in stores.
It's ok as long as the company imports it and ships it from their domestic warehouses, as far as I can tell. Customs doesn't even check it because it;s domestic, so there's no risk to the consumer either.

It's never been illegal to buy and sell within Australia, as far as I know. Hell, I bought a kilo of the stuff a decade ago, with no stealth packaging or anything. Couldn't have a more suspicious package of powder in a plastic brick shape. No issues. The Happy High Herbs shop have been selling a Kava extract for years (completely useless and dodgy product from a dodgy person, never buy it, it does nothing and doesn't even taste like Kava).

And actually you can buy Johnson's Kava tablets in pharmacies. Don't buy them either though.
Only TGA approved products can be legally sold within Australia.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Only TGA approved products can be legally sold within Australia.
Henry is correct. Furthermore there are legal restrictions on the possession or sale of kava in W.A. & N.T. The only legal way, at present, for a person to import kava (not TGA approved) is to personally bring it in and the amount must be no more than 4kg.

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
For anyone interested I pick up some Kava caps available at most Pharmacies. The brand is Bioglan. The caps seem to be filled with instant. I emptied 4 into a bowl and mixed with water. 4 bowls later, kinda nice low key Kava experience.

Nothing beats fresh brewed medium grind but until I can get to NZ this will have to do.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
For anyone interested I pick up some Kava caps available at most Pharmacies. The brand is Bioglan. The caps seem to be filled with instant. I emptied 4 into a bowl and mixed with water. 4 bowls later, kinda nice low key Kava experience.

Nothing beats fresh brewed medium grind but until I can get to NZ this will have to do.
Lol I did the same - half price at Chemist Warehouse! I hadn't tried it in that volume yet, but I'll give it a go!

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I've found caps a very poor trade. I've tried 30 at a time and that's all I can stomach, with few benefits. I have a high tolerance, and that would play a part.
Kudos to those who get a little kava reprieve from any source, and hope it improves for us all later this year with the review. Get those submissions in if you have something to say, only a few days to go before submissions close.