What's new

Kava and therapy

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to Kava and the forum. Just enjoying a nice as shell of Melo Melo as I type this out. I've been using Kava in for some pretty chronic worry and anxiety. I have to say the effects are strong and the plant is wise teacher, definitely feel it working out the kinks in my worrying.

I've started therapy recently, yet again, to tackle some issues with relationships amongst other things. I take some Kava before the session just to calm down and it has helped me quite a bit. I find it quite a bit easier to open up to the therapist I'm speaking with, it also feels a bit more of a natural conversation; I feel like some therapies can feel like a strange interview. I generally find it hard to open up with people (even close family and friends) and have just suffered in silence stupidly for a long time. I think it comes down to being a "man" and just dealing with shit without making a fuss, at least thats how i was raised. I feel like its doing some good, and kava has made it easier to express myself clearer without all that added noise and inhibition. Its good, I feel like it is doing some good for me. Also, it seems like maybe kava is showing me some things to work on, like sort of directing the session in a way or helpng me reflect after the session.

Just wanted to share my experience. Does anyone else have experience using Kava with therapy? Or Kava and just sharing feelings in general?

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Right, this makes perfect sense then. Do you know if traditonally, they would discuss certain issues or if it was just sort of a social thing that led to open discussion? Just curious

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have had similar experiences with therapy before. Haven't had a chance to take kava during therapy but have used kava to open up to my family and friends about important subjects that are harder to talk about. It kind of helps you see the humanity in people or a situation too.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I have had similar experiences with therapy before. Haven't had a chance to take kava during therapy but have used kava to open up to my family and friends about important subjects that are harder to talk about. It kind of helps you see the humanity in people or a situation too.
Thats great, that takes courage! That is such a hard thing to do that lots of us just sweep under the rug, I hope to get there too