What's new

List of kava I will be selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
These are the varieties of kava that I grow and will be offering for sale on my website at www.GourmetHawaiianKava.com

If you have any questions about my kava or kava in general I have a lot of information, just send me an email or even post the question here, aloha.
-----

1) Hanakapi'ai- this has a average chemotype of 423651 and an average kavalactone content of 15%
This variety has also gone by the name of "Nene Ele Ele" This is a dark 'Awa with a lot of spots (lenticls) and nice purple nodes, this is a tall growing plant. This 'Awa is a rare one and hard to find.

2) Hiwa- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 12%.
This is a dark variety with smooth stalks and it looks real black in color, this is a tall growing plant.
Hiwa was an 'Awa that was reserved and used only by the Kahuna (priest) or the chief and royalty.

3) Honokane Iki- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and a average kavalactone content of 15%.
This is a tall green variety that has a few spots and some striation near the bottom of most stalks.

4) Kumakua- This 'Awa has a average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 12%.
This is a robust growing 'Awa, it grows tall and it is green with medium length inter-nodes.

5) Mahakea- This 'Awa has a average chemotype of 461235 and a kavalactone content that I have seen go from 6% up to 19%, this 'Awa can be a potent one if grown right. This 'Awa is tall with green stalks and purple inter-nodes, this plant likes the sun more than some of the other varieties.

6) Mapulehu- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462531 and a average kavalactone content of 8%.
This is a nice green 'Awa and is medium to tall in height.

7) Mo'i- This 'Awa has a average chemotype of 463251 and a average kavalactone content of 14%.
This is a short growing dark purple 'Awa and is one that was reserved for the Chiefs and royalty not the common people.
The stalks are short, smooth and almost black but more on the dark purple side, this 'awa can also have some green in the stalk.

8) Nene- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and a average kavalactone content of 10%.
This 'Awa is tall and has green stalks with spots all over it. This variety was mentioned in Hawaiian history as being used for children but only as a medicine and not for pleasure.

9) 'Opihikao- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462531 and an average kavalactone content of 12%.
This 'Awa is a tall growing black variety with a lot of spots on the stalks and this was also called spotted Hiwa because it looks just like the 'Awa Hiwa but it has spots all over the stalks. This 'Awa is kind of rare and hard to find.

10) Pana'ewa- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and an average kavalactone content of 15%.
This 'Awa used to be called "Short Inter-node Green" or just SIG, it describes the morphological characteristics of this 'Awa, it is short and green, it does have some purple too. This is a real good 'Awa for drinking, it is very pleasurable.

11) Papa'Ele'ele- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 15% and sometimes up to 20% or more, this is a short inter-node, black 'Awa and it is considered one of the better 'Awa to drink. There is folklore that says that this 'Awa was reserved for the queen and it even mentioned her 'Awa patch in Waipio Valley.

12) Papa'Ele'ele Pu'upu'u- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and an average kavalactone content of 15% or higher. This is a short dark 'Awa with spots and it very strong, it is a favorite among the locals.

13) Papa Kea- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 22% and higher.
This is a short green 'Awa and was also called "Apu" , this is a very good drinking 'Awa and is very strong, it is one of my favorites.

14) Akau Huli- Tongan variety- "Akau Huli" meaning Akau = long, describing the stalks and Huli meaning black describing the color of the stalks. This is a strong kava and I like to grind it real fine, I find you get a stronger effect that way and you use less powder and drink less of the drink, that = less bloating from too many cups of kava. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Wow, that's a heck of a Kava catalog. I'm printing it so I can browse the catalog like a kid shopping for Christmas.

I just got my Vanuatu Micro and instant. How do you prep the micronized? How much instant do you recommend per shell? Also, thank you very much.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Deleted User01, I am glad you got the kava, I would use 1-2 teaspoons per cup of water if your a light weight or 1-2 or more tablespoons if your a heavy weight, I like to use about 2-3 tablespoons per cup of water and then drink 1 big gulp and wait for 5 min and then drink another and wait 5 min and then decide if you want more of if you need to make it stronger, this dosage is the same for both the instant and the micronized, they are both about the same strength but the instant is higher in Kavain. You can add this to bottled water and shake it up and enjoy. Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Bula Buck, yes you do not need to stain the micronized kava, just mix it with water and enjoy, I use about 2-4 tablespoons per cup of water and then I drink a big gulp at a time and wait 5 min. before the next gulp, I always do that when I try new kava, that way you get to know it better and where your perfect dose is, the micronized is strong. :D take it easy with that. :dead:.
Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Now that is a very nice list.

Hopefully I have some extra funds. If I find any you'll be the first to know.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@ Bula Buk, if the kava has the pieces that you can see, the stuff you would strain out then you need to strain it, if it is micronized or instant you do not need to strain it, just as krunkedout said, toss and wash, but I like drink and feel good better than toss and wash, it sounds so unappealing.
Enjoy and let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Thanks chris and krunkedout missed ya brother. Thats what i thought that explains why i have had such a sand pile while trying to squeeze hkcs kava:wtf:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Would you perhaps consider posting a close up (or expanded) photo of some of the different kava plants still in the ground? I'm particularly interested in a close up of the stems and stump of the Honokane Iki.

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@ Vorticity, no not all of them will be micronized, some will be a regular grind, the kind you have to strain. I hope to have some of that soon, I just need time to harvest and process it. Aloha.

Chris

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
"but I like drink and feel good better than toss and wash, it sounds so unappealing."

+1 for change of the lingo

toss and wash lol something needs to be done about that phrase

D

Deleted User01

Noueky, I have some of the GHK micronized and it is a somewhere in between powder and instant. I had no problems using it like I would instant. I think the effects of micronized are stronger than instant. But like I always preach, moderation in everything.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Thanks for the info. Deleted User01, actually I was wondering that very thing; how the strength of micronized compared to instant. I would like to give micronized a shot when Chris has it back in stock. I have been using the instant nearly every night with only good benefits and it seems the longer I do the more I am able to use with positive effects.

Last edited:

Palmetto

Thank God!
Hey Chris @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , can please you provide an expert's description of the effects of each kava you grow (mood, sedation, headiness, body)? I've read many people's reviews, but as I make up my list of kavas to order in the next few months, I want to know which to try next. I hear very little info on Pana Ewa, Papa Ele ELe, Papa ele ele puu puu, Honokane Iki, Opihikao, and Opihikao.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
13) Papa Kea- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 22% and higher.
This is a short green 'Awa and was also called "Apu" , this is a very good drinking 'Awa and is very strong, it is one of my favorites.
22%? Holy cow. That would explain why it knocked me on my ass, then.
Hanky Panky is probably my favorite of yours. Great stuff.
I love the Kumakua too: nice and heady but not jittery.
I look forward to trying your Tongan, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.