What's new

Wow, super good extraction

Crunked

Proselytizer
@Crunked It's possible, and I had the same thought as you as I keep my blood glucose strictly regulated. The few times I have remembered to check my blood glucose readings both before and after a kava session there has been no significant variability in the measurements. With the idea that the boiling water breaks down the starches, I thought for sure I would see a small spike, but I did not the one time I checked my readings before and after a session using the boiling method. Next time I boil my kava I will try to remember testing again to see if I get any different results. (I have no problems with glucose metabolism beyond being human, but I like knowing how everything I consume impacts my blood glucose and insulin response.)
I was cruising a nutrition blog and came upon this post regarding resistant starch (RS) which is getting a lot of good publicity. It occurred to me that maybe the reason you are not getting a spike from the kava starch is because it is resistant starch and just passes thru. That would be a win-win because RS is supposed to be good for gut bacteria. Another reason to be a kava addict. :hungry:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava This makes perfect sense, ive been noticing that i am not getting the same like heady euphoria in a certain sense from hot. other times though it just hits the seemingly same.
Im curious. When they did the HPLC on the boiled vs cold prep. Did you see what kavalactones shifted ?

Im very curious too of the synergy between kavalactones and the water extracted compounds being increased dramatically by heating.