What's new

Does anyone know what exactly in kava causes nausea?

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I'm not on any meds and don't drink alcohol with kava ..the only time I had nausea was the first time I felt the effects of kava . I also didn't strain it very well so I think the sediment was a factor

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's said that certain kavalactones, like DHM and DHK, are more responsible for nausea. I'm not sure if the reason is known exactly, it may simply be part of the natural behavior of them in the human body. Some people are more tolerant to it than others, so there's definitely some aspect of it that depends on your own personal body chemistry. Alcohol or certain meds may increase the likelihood of nausea but kava itself can easily be nauseating without them. The way you consume kava can also have something to do with it. Certain strains are more nauseating than others, ingesting more root material in your drink can be more nauseating and drinking too much too quick can be nauseating.
In my experience, I can build up somewhat of a tolerance against it after weeks of usage...I'm one that's very sensitive to kava nausea and bloating.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
It's said that certain kavalactones, like DHM and DHK, are more responsible for nausea. I'm not sure if the reason is known exactly, it may simply be part of the natural behavior of them in the human body. Some people are more tolerant to it than others, so there's definitely some aspect of it that depends on your own personal body chemistry. Alcohol or certain meds may increase the likelihood of nausea but kava itself can easily be nauseating without them. The way you consume kava can also have something to do with it. Certain strains are more nauseating than others, ingesting more root material in your drink can be more nauseating and drinking too much too quick can be nauseating.
In my experience, I can build up somewhat of a tolerance against it after weeks of usage...I'm one that's very sensitive to kava nausea and bloating.
When you have nausea is it next day or immediately upon drinking it to quick, or do you ever have nausea the next day

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I also read somewhere that the natural numbing of kava on the stomach can imitate the feeling of nausea.. but ya...what shakas said !!
This might be why I only get kava nausea when drinking on an empty stomach.........

CanAwa

This might be why I only get kava nausea when drinking on an empty stomach.........
I've been downing 4 shells in an hour and then I have a small meal and then dessert is maybe a couple more shells depending on what I feel like ..but for the first 4 shells I have a slight bit of nausea but I think it's more brought on by hunger than the kava

D

Deactivated Account

Kava really works best on an empty stomach. I struggle to find powdered kava strong enough thus if I'm having some at 4pm...I strictly won't eat between breakfast & 4pm.

As to the nausea well I've just learnt to live with it & understand its part of my kava. I get it pretty heavy as I will drink a litre at a time.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I guess I'm lucky, the only time I get nausea really bad is when I end up drinking some mud by mistake. I'll sometimes get a wave of nausea right after drinking but it goes away shortly.

infraredz

BULA!
I think what a lot of people mistake for nausea (early in their kava career) is actually just the nature of the anesthetic effect from kavain's blockade on voltage-dependent Ca and Na channels. This is why the mouth goes numb, too, by the way. The stomach is not highly innverated so it's no surprise that a numbing effect could be interpreted as nausea.

That's not to say that kava doesn't cause nausea in other ways. To echo other posters, lots of root material can make me nauseous as well as drinking tudei kava (high in DHK/DHM).

I still get an occasional wave of it, but I've found ginger to be incredibly effective for treating any nausea. I've actually found it be more effective than "medicinal" anti-emetics for vomiting too.

Mass-procuced "ginger ale" has nearly zero ginger in it so you need to look for something stronger (or get ground ginger from the spice aisle and use that)
I use the extra-strength ginger brew, but I'm sure the other ones would work well too:
http://reedsinc.com/product-category/reeds-ginger-products/

D

Deleted User01

Ya know, I never get nausea but I do have an interesting reaction PRIOR to drinking Kava. The minute I start thinking about drinking some shells at around 2:30 or so, I end up going to the bathroom for a BM. So even though I don't feel nausea, I'm still scaring the crap out of my digestive system. Literally.

(Gee Deleted User01, thanks for sharing.):eek:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ya know, I never get nausea but I do have an interesting reaction PRIOR to drinking Kava. The minute I start thinking about drinking some shells at around 2:30 or so, I end up going to the bathroom for a BM. So even though I don't feel nausea, I'm still scaring the crap out of my digestive system. Literally.

(Gee Deleted User01, thanks for sharing.):eek:
Same here. It's pretty much instantaneous. Also my nose starts running.

D

Deleted User01

Thank god I'm not the only and I'm very, very regular in the morning. This comes outta no where. Another Kava Phenomenon. Ye may be a brave man when you partake of Kava but your internals are not as brave as you.

CanAwa

This is hilarious ..I wasn't gonna say anything cause it's kind of a Shitty topic but wow kavaxitive

D

Deleted User01

And remember Kavanewb, we don't even have to drink it, just think about drinking it. Talk about Involuntary Responses. Now it doesn't happen to me everytime but most of the time. And perhaps some of us get that in lieu of Nausea.

And Head hodge, I can put you on my world renowned diet that will fix that. It's the beer and nuts diet (on your no Kava days). I do like the heck out of those Chocolate Fiber Bars though. Check those out for a good time. Fiber one and Southbeach most make some mighty tasty and Fibrous treats. And they are low fat.

CanAwa

Do you think having your first shell on the throne would be a bad setting ? I dunno I don't like doing paperwork when I drink kava:D