What's new

What is an average dose in grams of kava per session?

K

kavacurious

I want to figure out if it's economically viable as an off and off go to for relxation/anxiolytic/anti depressant etc.

The ones I got in the past certainly werent due to higher price and less amount and quality Id imagine due to scarcity of product in the UK.

In my previous tries I probably got through 50 grams easily in two days and even then the effect was nothing to write home about but like I say above that isn't to say anything about kava in general probably cos it was likely poor product.

So I would like to hear how much in grams on average it takes to get you nice.

infraredz

BULA!
Based on kavadude's census results:
Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 8.47.33 AM.png

Considering that a tablespoon weighs on my average to be 8g, it looks like 40g is around the most commonly used amount.

However, if you are using micronized or instant, or "tossing and washing", then I would say you could easily halve that amount. I did not weight the weight of a tablespoon of micronized, or even finely ground kava like BKH's Fu'u.
That being said, Solomons Island was the finest of all the samples I weighed and it weighed in at 7.3g per tablespoon.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Take a look at the census results http://bit.ly/kava-census-results and you can see how much kava people use per session and how much they spend per month. (most of us are in the States -- probably gonna be more expensive for you)

I use 50-80g on average, which is like between 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup of kava (weight of measured kava varies based on grind and density).

Crunked

Proselytizer
Depends on the strength of the Kava and how crunked I want to get. On a weeknight with a strong Kava such as Vanuatu 80% lateral root or BKH Nambawan (on an empty stomach) 25g will get me to where I want to be. I prepare it in the traditional way. Room temp. water; (Fijiian) strainer bag; firm kneading not squeezing. Even then, how affected I will be on any given night is not predictable. It is the same with alcohol. Sometimes 3 drinks won't have any effect; the same amount a few days later may hit me. Another factor is the time between shells. I find that drinking the shells 20 minutes apart has the best effect.

To recap, the most important factors I find are:
  • Strength of the kava
  • interval since you ate
  • the effectiveness of your kneading and straining
If you are based in the UK, Global Kava Exports would be my initial choice. Although it may seem expensive, their Instant Kava might be worth trying. I find that 10g is sufficient to become nice and relaxed. Yes, it's more expensive but it may not work out as costing more overall if you get the required effect with 10g of instant compared to 25-40g of root powder. It is also much more convenient.

May the crunk be with you.

K

kavacurious

Depends on the strength of the Kava and how crunked I want to get. On a weeknight with a strong Kava such as Vanuatu 80% lateral root or BKH Nambawan (on an empty stomach) 25g will get me to where I want to be. I prepare it in the traditional way. Room temp. water; (Fijiian) strainer bag; firm kneading not squeezing. Even then, how affected I will be on any given night is not predictable. It is the same with alcohol. Sometimes 3 drinks won't have any effect; the same amount a few days later may hit me. Another factor is the time between shells. I find that drinking the shells 20 minutes apart has the best effect.

To recap, the most important factors I find are:
  • Strength of the kava
  • interval since you ate
  • the effectiveness of your kneading and straining
If you are based in the UK, Global Kava Exports would be my initial choice. Although it may seem expensive, their Instant Kava might be worth trying. I find that 10g is sufficient to become nice and relaxed. Yes, it's more expensive but it may not work out as costing more overall if you get the required effect with 10g of instant compared to 25-40g of root powder. It is also much more convenient.

May the crunk be with you.
I saw about those global kava export guys but they only do instant kava so not really interested in that.

Oh ye i see they sell some, but are expensive. About the same as itll cost for shipping form bkh, so might as well go with bkh since they have a better selection

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kavacurious

Have you tried these, if so how do they compare to bkh products sicne there dont seem to be many reviews about them?