What's new

Does anyone know what exactly in kava causes nausea?

D

Deleted User01

Ok guys, don't start repeating the jokes we all told in the Sixth grade. :D

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Interesting discussion about the numbing btw. It never occurred to me that you could feel kava numbing your stomach but it makes sense now that I think about it.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Interesting discussion about the numbing btw. It never occurred to me that you could feel kava numbing your stomach but it makes sense now that I think about it.
I can't remember where I read that ..I'll have to find the literature again but it does make sense

D

Deactivated Account

Crikey & here I am all this time just screaming for a cigarette ?

starscolliding

Kava Curious
I'm much better off after adding one of those gold coffee filters at the very end of my process, that made a huge positive effect on my overall experience.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Well I have been drinking kava for a few years and only once has it made me vomit. I tried the hot water method of extraction. Never again. If I make root powder with room temp water and strain (Vanuatu Borogu, Fiji Waka, GHK); or make it with GHK micro; or GHK instant; or VKS instant I have never had a problem.
I should add my constitution is not strong. I can get queasy not only on a boat, but even watching a movie of people on a boat. And IMAX, fuhgeddaboutit.

KavaCat

Meow.
Mass-procuced "ginger ale" has nearly zero ginger in it so you need to look for something stronger (or get ground ginger from the spice aisle and use that)
I use the extra-strength ginger brew, but I'm sure the other ones would work well too:
http://reedsinc.com/product-category/reeds-ginger-products/
Slicing up a big hunk of fresh ginger, and simmering for about ten minutes in a couple of cups of water, with honey, is probably easier for some people. I much prefer ginger tea. It's super spicy, and much cheaper than high quality ginger ales, which usually run about $6 for a four pack. :)

These are super good, too: http://gingerpeople.com/ginger-chews/original-ginger-chews.html

Last edited:

KavaCat

Meow.
Oh, and on the topic of nausea. I've often felt that the CNS depressant qualities can make get motion sickness. I get this happen to me when I have taken opiates for pain, and sometimes also with kava. I'm not saying that for some people, the nausea isn't physical. Just that for some others, it could be that your body's just kind of so relaxed, that it's not keeping up with everything, and you catch a little motion sickness. Whenever I take ultram/ tramadol/ etc for my sciatica, I know that I'm just fine, as long as I'm sitting still. But movement? Ugh, all the nausea. I get it with body-heavy kavas, too, like boruguru. I can't use much boroguru because of this. I can take tons of heady and mostly-heady kava, though.

Rishi678

Kava Curious
On this topic I was wondering whether you are supposed to drink the sediment that is left over at the bottom of the cup or not?

Is there even supposed to be sediment?

I use the semi-traditional method, cause I use a blender first after soaking the kava for a few hours in coconut water, then I strain and knead for a bit in the water through a cheese cloth but there is always some sediment at the bottom.

Maybe it might lessen nausea if one was to drink less of the sediment but use more kava overall instead? Any thoughts on this?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
On this topic I was wondering whether you are supposed to drink the sediment that is left over at the bottom of the cup or not?

Is there even supposed to be sediment?

I use the semi-traditional method, cause I use a blender first after soaking the kava for a few hours in coconut water, then I strain and knead for a bit in the water through a cheese cloth but there is always some sediment at the bottom.

Maybe it might lessen nausea if one was to drink less of the sediment but use more kava overall instead? Any thoughts on this?
Well I generally drink the sediment, as I know others do. Some folks do not, because, they think the sediment, makes them get a upset stomach. I have not really found that to be the case. Much Love Roaddog....

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
The sediment is a trade off, if you ask me. More sediment = more krunk & more stomach problems.

...I drink the sediment.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I used to think that the nausea was from inner ear disconnect with the optical parts of the brain. Often when I've had a few shells, my eyes get a little "loose" and there's a dizziness component. I tend not to get motion sick easily, but I have before and it seemed similar.

Now I'm starting to think that the rate of consumption has more to do with it than anything. If I drink my shells 10 minutes apart, I'm courting dangerous nausea. Or if I chug too much at once (double shells) even spaced 20 minutes apart, it can hit me.

Usually the nausea subsides with time or eating some carbohydrates and doesn't last super long, though I've had it go for an hour or more. And I've had second day nausea here and there after large sessions. All of this makes me think it's related to hitting some kind of high water mark with kavalactones in the system.

Rishi678

Kava Curious
Last night I prepared a brew from larger root material (not powder which I did previously) and this time there was much less sediment at the bottom of the cup, and I experienced zero stomach issues and bloating.

So I think for me, it is the sediment that causes the most stomach issues.

I get light headed from both techniques, but it is the bloating and stomach issues I have been trying to reduce, so really glad I seem to have found the culprit.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Last night I prepared a brew from larger root material (not powder which I did previously) and this time there was much less sediment at the bottom of the cup, and I experienced zero stomach issues and bloating.

So I think for me, it is the sediment that causes the most stomach issues.

I get light headed from both techniques, but it is the bloating and stomach issues I have been trying to reduce, so really glad I seem to have found the culprit.
I finer strainer worked wonders for me. With the paint strainer bag I got from Paradise Kava with my first order of ground root, I had all-night burning and gurgling that kept me up. When I switched to finer mesh bags, those side effects went away for me. I realize that I leave some overall strength on the table, but it makes kava drinkable and enjoyable for me, so it's well worth the reduction in potency.

schamberlain

Kava Curious
I finer strainer worked wonders for me. With the paint strainer bag I got from Paradise Kava with my first order of ground root, I had all-night burning and gurgling that kept me up. When I switched to finer mesh bags, those side effects went away for me. I realize that I leave some overall strength on the table, but it makes kava drinkable and enjoyable for me, so it's well worth the reduction in potency.
Steve, out of interest. What bags do you use to strain? I also get serious stomach discomfort.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Steve, out of interest. What bags do you use to strain? I also get serious stomach discomfort.
I ended up way off the beaten path. I started with a 80 micron nylon mesh nut milk bag I got on Amazon, and that was better, but still gave me fits during the night.

Then I discovered biodiesel filtration bags (also nylon monofilament mesh) and have used only 25 micron bags since. I tried a 55 micron bag from the same company, but got the gurgles again. Since I've been at 25 micron straining, I have had virtually no stomach discomfort at all. I must be super makka sensitive.

This is what I ordered. It makes me able to enjoy kava.

Amazon product