What's new

The Current Facts About Tudei as I know Them.

D

Deleted User01

What Makes Tudei Bad?

People Get Sick
For one, people complain that they get nausea and a bad hangover. The native Islanders avoided Tudei kava for this reason and they only used it for ceremonial and medicinal use. It’s hard to argue with the Islanders since they have over 1000 years of experience drinking kava. Needless to say that there are people who can handle tudei and other substances without a problem. However, it appears that they are in the minority and I prefer to learn from the experiences of people who have 1000s of years experience.

Flavokawain B (FKB)
Tudei has 20 times from Flavokawain B than Noble Kava. This FKB has been shown to be toxic to liver cells in large quantities. However, FKB has also proven to have anti-tumor effects. However, just like ChemoTherapy, it will make you very, very sick. So is FKB the main culprit? Can we measure it in a lab?

DHM
It is said that DHM, one of the more potent and sedating kavalactones, can cause Tudei effects. Tudei has been shown to have a high percentage of this kavalactone and thus it may be one of the culprits. Can we test for the presence of that? Well chemo typing does show the percentage of each kavalactone and so the answer is yes. So to @HeadHodge ’s point, the chemotype can be an indicator though it may not be 100 percent correct in all cases.

Acetone Test
Developed by Dr. Lebot. His tests revealed that a known noble kava would turn yellow, a known two day kava would turn orange, and a wild kava brown. However, does this test actually show the chemical makeup of the kava or does it predict that the kava may be high in FKB or DHM? I’m not sure of the answer. It would be nice if someone would invent a test strip that would tell us what percent of each chemical is in our kava. Yeah, like the ones I use for the swimming pool.

Adulterated Kava (blended kava)
When vendors blend Tudei into the kava to make it more potent, then what else do they put in there? At that point, they are capable of anything. Do they add the toxic aerial parts of the kava? Are they actually making a small quantity of Tudei many times more dangerous by furthur adulterating the kava with other crap. Is that why they can sell their kava so cheap?? To me, that’s a big problem. At this point, forget about the dangers of Tudei. Focus on vendors who adulterate their kava because the sky is the limit as far as what they might add to the kava. And do our retail vendors have methods of testing the kava for adulteration? Probably not or they can’t afford it. No, all they can do is scream, ‘I didn’t do it’ when someone gets sick. Well, we know you didn’t do it but do you give a shit.

The Wisdom of the Islanders
So I invite everyone to chip in any scientific research that shows how we can measure the toxins in kava and specifically Tudei. I for one am going to go with the wisdom of the Islanders. They have done kava for 1000s of years and they learned all about kava the hard way. They stayed away from Tudei kava.

D

Deleted User01

Ya know @Headgie, the Acetone test is not scientifically perfect and neither is the chemotype indicator. But we have that and the wisdom of the Islanders. If all the vendors would test the kava before they bought it, I believe we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it so much. Yeah, Chris grows his own so he doesn't have a problem But Mike with Kalm goes to great lengths to test the kava before he buys it. I will never, ever forget a post where he said that he rejected a bunch of kavas before he finally made a deal to buy one. So he is doing everything in his power to bring safe kava to us and all the rest of the vendors need to do the same thing. And if the tests accidently throws out the 1 in 1000 noble kava, then tough cookies. We have to go with what we know until Johnson and Johnson decides to spend a billion dollars to study kava.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I spent many years in Vanuatu, traveling round all 80-odd islands, and never heard of tudei being used ceremonially or even medicinally. Is this published somewhere or is it more of an anecdote?
I only ever heard of a particularly nasty strain of tudei on Epi being used as a poison in "nakaimas", or black magic.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
When I hear that someone likes Tudei, what I really hear is that you like enjoy the effects that DHM can offer. I don't think the flavokavains in Tudei are responsible for any noticeable psychoactive effect but they have been said to be toxic to cells.
So I ask, why not just enjoy good medicinal/noble kavas that have DHM in the 3rd or 4th position? You get the same effect without consuming nearly as much FK's. As someone who benefits from DHM, I love to have these kavas on hand. I've had Koniak, Chief's jungle, Tudei spiked kavas and tudei's mixed with aerial parts. I get the same effect from strong DHM medicinal/noble kava. So why consume the extra toxins if you can achieve the same experience without them? If you like the effect of 100proof drinking alcohol, would like to consume alcohol mixed with methanol ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol ) if the buzz felt the same? Just to prove that you can do whatever you want and the man can't tell you what you can or can't have ?
"Introducing new Smirnoff with Methanol, for the warrior of justice inside you!"

Also note, a couple times I've purchased Tudei mixed with aerial parts and the effects were weaker than than the lightest Tongan root stump. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

@Deleted User, I don't believe that Tudei drinkers are necessarily anti-kava. I think their inner stoner has taken over and they like the heavy druggy effects. And of course that is assuming that they don't get the hangover. Most of us here are trying to get away from strong drugs like alcohol and Benzos. We are not interested in Tudei. Hey, if I want a hangover, I'll get out my murderer's row of single malt scotches and get after it. Screw Tudei. I think our job here is to warn Newbies about Tudei and hope that they don't listen to their "inner stoner". Yeah, that little guy in your brain that says, "If one shell is good, 3 shells is better. If 3 shells is good, 5 shells is better." For myself, I'm trying to mute my inner stoner and I want all the benefits that good Noble Kava has to offer and with no side effects. But I don't feel comfortable condemning the drinkers of Tudei because they are my friends. I do feel comfortable preaching the Noble cause in the hopes of changing their minds.
And I know how passionate you are about the Noble cause because you are a crusader for the cause and you have been well received by the scientific kava community as one of their own. But we can't tell people what to do. We can only preach our cause and hope they see the benefits of Noble Kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Just, wow. You can't get a lot of support for your "drink two day" efforts, so now you're looking for reasons to shut down the Forum. Sad.
Are you serious? I was just being facetious. This is the greatest place in the world. So lighten up. Or did you mean you wanted to buy a sample pack of Wow? I can get you a little instant, micronized, and powder for a great price. :D

D

Deleted User01

Hey, everyone needs to remember that @HeadHodge is defending his right to occasionally partake of a micronized kava that did not fare well in testing. It was not labeled as Tudei but it flunked the Acetone test and in a big way. He has already stated that he is doing more Noble everyday. He is not buying kava that is labeled "Kick Ass Tudei". I just wanted to state that for the record. However, Headgie likes a good fight and he is having way too much fun defending his right to drink "Kava that fared badly in testing". Psstt, just leave him alone by himself and before you know it, he'll be doing a cup of Nene so he can sleep well .... in his bed ... not on the front lawn like last time. :LOL:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Looking forward to doing a face off between Kavas that tested well and those that didn't when I get home. Probably a long video over several days. I'd like to do about six Kavas with noticeable differences in the profiles and tests. Three "nobles" and three "not fared well" with variations in strength.

Recommendations?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Looking forward to doing a face off between Kavas that tested well and those that didn't when I get home. Probably a long video over several days. I'd like to do about six Kavas with noticeable differences in the profiles and tests. Three "nobles" and three "not fared well" with variations in strength.

Recommendations?
11-year for sure. On the noble side chris from GHK claims that some of the nobles are on par in the effects dept. (but unfortunately) I can't remember which ones they were. I'll post them if I can refind them. To avoid an argument, I don't think he claimed the nobels compete with 11-year specifically, just with non-nobels in general.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hey, everyone needs to remember that @HeadHodge is defending his right to occasionally partake of a micronized kava that did not fare well in testing. It was not labeled as Tudei but it flunked the Acetone test and in a big way. He has already stated that he is doing more Noble everyday. He is not buying kava that is labeled "Kick Ass Tudei". I just wanted to state that for the record. However, Headgie likes a good fight and he is having way too much fun defending his right to drink "Kava that fared badly in testing". Psstt, just leave him alone by himself and before you know it, he'll be doing a cup of Nene so he can sleep well .... in his bed ... not on the front lawn like last time. :LOL:
It is fun. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. :)

What you say is true, I consume mostly Moi. I might use more 11-year than I do, except that it gives me such bad dermo. Sometimes I also enjoy blending them together.