What's new

First time trying Kava. RT?

Hey guys,

I just got some of this kava: Amazon product (KAVA WAKA powder -1 LB- Fijian High Quality Kava) from amazon
I also got a strainer bag from the same company.

Anywhere, here was my method:
3 heaping tbsp kava powder mixed and kneaded in to ~10oz water for 10 minutes. I drank this one all at once. The flavor wasn't as bad as I was expecting but it wasn't exactly pleasant.

I didn't feel too much from this besides a slightly numb throat. 20 minutes later I mix up 1/4 cup + 2 heaping tbsps in to ~12oz of water and split it in to two 6oz drinks. I took one 6oz drink as soon as I finished kneading/mixing and I put the other in the fridge to drink again after 30 more minutes.

I have yet to drink the third one but I currently don't feel too much from what I've had so far.

I am wondering if I will feel more of an effect if I keep doing this for a couple days (breaking through the RT barrier?) If so, is it a gradual thing where each time I start to feel more or is it more of a sudden affect?

I'm also not sure about the quality of the kava powder I got but I have a sample pack from bula kava house coming soon in addition to their 11 year waka micronized.

One other thing I'm curious about is if the different recipes actually affect potency or if it's mostly just for flavor? I've seen quite a few recipes mention milk or some sort of fatty liquid, or even just adding lecithin. Is trying one of these worth it if I want to get a more noticeable affect?

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to trying out the world of kava

EDIT: Just had the third glass. Still not really feeling much. Is this kava just not as potent as other strands or do I need to work through RT for several days?

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
You're probably still not primed to it...it could happen gradually, or you maybe get hit by it nicely one day.
There's no way to know how potent your kava is without testing it for it's overall kavalactone percentage.
In general, there isn't a drastic difference in potency between most of the kavas on the market.
Lecithin or fats may help slightly but not enough to be the determining factor in whether or not you feel it.
If you make a batch with 8tbsp of kava in 2-3 cups of water, drink 2 shells and dont feel anything...you're still in RT.
If you receive your 11 yr Waka and mix 2 tablespoon in a cup of water, chug it and dont feel anything...you're still in RT.
Empty stomach, strong batch, effects should appear.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm also new to kava. I've been having kava for about three weeks now. I only broke through RT two nights ago. For me, I definitely knew it happened.
That was about the same for me. Which is too bad, because I came close to giving up kava altogether because I wasn't getting any of the effects people were reporting. I even quit trying kava for like a week or so, and then decided to try one more time. I put just a little extract under my tongue (I was quickly running out though) and bam it hit me like a hammer. So I wouldn't dispair or give up.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I mixed up a fourth batch and felt some of the effects so I'll definitely be partaking a bit more often. So far no negative effects either so that's also nice. I've seem to have had a history of having higher tolerance for a lot of things in the past too.

My plan is to go through this 1lb bag and then the sample packs which I should be getting soon. I want to save the micronized for when I'm more accustomed.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I would mix it stronger, as Shakas (with his messed up name) suggested. As @Steph mentioned, you will know when it hits you. That explanation drove me crazy when I was in RT, but it was obvious.

So I’ve been using kava for a few weeks but I just got Kalm with kava stuff in today. Micronized. I used 2 tbsp and some bubbly grapefruit soda water on ice. I felt the tingles in my head but then it just seemed to disappear. It’s like I am right on the edge of breaking through the RT. I’m definitely not trying to get messed up from the kava but I do want to feel relaxed. Relieve that anxiety and tension. Crossing my finger it works right soon!