What's new

Eating

Do your experiences match these three scenarios?

• 1/3 Match

• 2/3 Match

• 3/3 Match

• None match and you are a complete fool, Nambatu, a complete fool.

Results are only viewable after voting.

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
Please tell me if your experiences match these scenarios:

1.) You drink kava over a period of four hours. Two hours after your last shell, you have a big meal. You feel a surge of the effects of kava.

2.) You drink kava over a period of one hour. Immediately after your last shell, you have a big meal. The effects of kava seem to disappear.

3.) You drink kava on an empty stomach, perhaps after waking up. The effects are stronger than usual.

Based on what I've seen reported in this forum, most people's experiences will match up with the above, what I haven't seen is any good explanation for why this happens.

violet

Do all things with love
I usually eat shortly after kava as well and experience amplified effects. I always drink kava on an empty stomach, but a shell first thing in the morning is much stronger for me than the same shell on a 6+ hour fasted empty stomach in the evening.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't get a rush from eating since I started using milk, gives all the potentiation you need. Saying that it's quite rare for me to eat anything after kava these days anyway. Agree on the empty stomach thing though, the emptier the better but I find at least 3 hours is usually enough.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Based on what I've seen reported in this forum, most people's experiences will match up with the above, what I haven't seen is any good explanation for why this happens.
Food consumption slows the rate of gastric emptying, especially fat and protein. Kava is probably metabolized partly through the gut wall before it reaches the liver thus food consumption modulates kava metabolism in various ways.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I voted 3/3 thought would have said 4/4 - starve myself until I can't see straight, krunked out of my mind then I eat a huge meal, though it depends on the day, If I am going out and working, I skip breakfast, do kava instead, eat a regular lunch, get home, get rooted, keep getting rooted till' my stomach is rumbling again then eat a late dinner.
Probably not the best approach...

Bwiggy

I like plants
My meals usually diminish effects. I always do kava on an empty stomach. I eat vegetarian though - not oily at all. Not sure how much that matters.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Food mostly brings mine down, but for some reason today I was nursing in some mahakea and after I ate some fresh baked dinner rolls and some chicken noodle soup I got some serious kava jitters, like that head rushyl that some people like but I hate. Makes me want to church my mahakea because that shit isn't a feeling I care for and the second time I had an anxiety kava experience with this brand. I might try just mixing it with Nene or boroguru from now on since I had the same problem with melomelo and ended up mixing it with boroguru for beautiful effects.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
When I've decided my Kava session is done I'll eat a modest meal within 15 mins or so and it really ratchets up the effects for me.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've taken to eating a big breakfast, a big lunch and no dinner at all. I think this is something @nabanga said about around about the same time I was trying it and that set me on this course. I've lost plenty of weight since doing this and I rarely feel hungry in the evening. I can eat if it comes to it, if I fancy something but usually I don't bother.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
The effects of kava seem to diminish for me after I eat. I've started mixing hot water and coconut milk coffee creamer when I prep mine. The coconut milk seems to give me a little potentiation and tastes nice.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
The effects are sometimes stronger in the morning but they are less desirable effects. Eating after kava always seems to increase the effect and decrease nausea

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
This isn't the most useful poll because it's too specific. Typically, I come home and mix up a batch of grog. Once ready, I immediately down a good healthy shell, then go chill. 10-15min later, I down another shell, then back to chill. Usually an hour after first shell, I'll grab a 3rd shell. Probably one more shell another 30-40min later. Anywhere from 2-3 hours after I get home, I'll have a meal. I've not noticed a big difference in the effects of kava after a meal. Sometimes I'll top off after I eat.

exit stage left
For me, drinking first thing in the morning usually gives more pronounced effects than fasting in the evening. Yesterday I tried to drink kava after not having time to eat for at least 12 hours and that was bad. Way too much nausea. So there must be a sweet spot between the two.

I find what I eat affects the potentiation, when I eat after kava. Bready stuff seems to diminish the effect, fatty stuff seems to increase it. Chocolate is actually one thing for me that can really kick it up a notch.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I think an element of common sense is needed for the whole eating kills the effect/fats help.

Clearly breads and anything that absorbs liquid itself is going to inhibit the effects a bit .
Where lighter meals and fats (hopefully good fats so you don't feel like dirt) can help.
Do not drink on a full stomach is a more helpful tip I feel. A banana or 10 aren't going to inhibit kava lol.
Nor is a salad

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Chocolate increases the effect because it's full of fat, and also has its own mood increasing abilities.
It's really it's owntype of food lol

I'm referring to cacao.