What's new

List of kava I will be selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oops, didn't realize this is an old thread, so all of these might not currently be available.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Yep, I revived an old thread because I'm hoping to hear what the experts think. From the kava farmers I've talked to, I've heard a range of favorites:
Mo'i, Honokane Iki, Papa Kea, Hanakapi Ai, and Nene. I haven't had Honokane Iki or Nene yet, but I am growing them. Out of those, Hanakapi Ai is my favorite. Mo'i seemed too heady (I prefer balanced leaning to heady). Papa Kea had some definite virtues, just that it made me anxious and didn't fall asleep well enough, ironically.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yep, I revived an old thread because I'm hoping to hear what the experts think. From the kava farmers I've talked to, I've heard a range of favorites:
Mo'i, Honokane Iki, Papa Kea, Hanakapi Ai, and Nene. I haven't had Honokane Iki or Nene yet, but I am growing them. Out of those, Hanakapi Ai is my favorite. Mo'i seemed too heady (I prefer balanced leaning to heady). Papa Kea had some definite virtues, just that it made me anxious and didn't fall asleep well enough, ironically.
Agreed on the Mo'i; it makes me jittery if I have too much...

D

Deleted User01

Hey Chris @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , can please you provide an expert's description of the effects of each kava you grow (mood, sedation, headiness, body)? I've read many people's reviews, but as I make up my list of kavas to order in the next few months, I want to know which to try next. I hear very little info on Pana Ewa, Papa Ele ELe, Papa ele ele puu puu, Honokane Iki, Opihikao, and Opihikao.
When I saw your post, I rushed to the Website to see if GHK was selling Papa Ele Ele. No such luck. :( I had all those kavas back in the day but haven't seen any of the Papa Ele Eles in a long time. Chris, it's time for some Papa Ele Ele micronized ....
We haven't had that spirit here since 1969 ...

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Chris, more information on the effects one can expect from the kavas would be great. Chemotypes are great information, but since kavas can have the same chemotype and very different effects it would be great to know what to expect from a kava. I had gotten around to trying most of the ones you're currently selling. Looks like I'm going to have to put work into hyperdrive so I'll have the funds to try all of these :nailbiting:(y)::happyshell::

D

Deleted User01

@chandra, go through all the reviews to get an idea. Kava effects can also be very subjective with members getting diff effects. You can see the reviews and maybe "average them out" so to speak. That's what I did this morning. I couldn't remember the effects from Papa Ele Ele. Lo and behold, I actually did a review of the Papa Ele Ele instant. And I saw a few other reviews that confirmed what it's effects. Some of the guys that like heavy kavas did not like it. So the reviews are very informative.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Reviews are certainly the best way to get an idea of what a particular kava will be like because it is very subjective, but it would be convenient to have a list with the most commonly experienced effects.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I cant believe there are so many awesome looking GHK kavas that i havent been able to try yet. When i saw this thread I thought it was new

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
These are the varieties of kava that I grow and will be offering for sale on my website at www.GourmetHawaiianKava.com

If you have any questions about my kava or kava in general I have a lot of information, just send me an email or even post the question here, aloha.
-----

1) Hanakapi'ai- this has a average chemotype of 423651 and an average kavalactone content of 15%
This variety has also gone by the name of "Nene Ele Ele" This is a dark 'Awa with a lot of spots (lenticls) and nice purple nodes, this is a tall growing plant. This 'Awa is a rare one and hard to find.

2) Hiwa- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 12%.
This is a dark variety with smooth stalks and it looks real black in color, this is a tall growing plant.
Hiwa was an 'Awa that was reserved and used only by the Kahuna (priest) or the chief and royalty.

3) Honokane Iki- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and a average kavalactone content of 15%.
This is a tall green variety that has a few spots and some striation near the bottom of most stalks.

4) Kumakua- This 'Awa has a average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 12%.
This is a robust growing 'Awa, it grows tall and it is green with medium length inter-nodes.

5) Mahakea- This 'Awa has a average chemotype of 461235 and a kavalactone content that I have seen go from 6% up to 19%, this 'Awa can be a potent one if grown right. This 'Awa is tall with green stalks and purple inter-nodes, this plant likes the sun more than some of the other varieties.

6) Mapulehu- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462531 and a average kavalactone content of 8%.
This is a nice green 'Awa and is medium to tall in height.

7) Mo'i- This 'Awa has a average chemotype of 463251 and a average kavalactone content of 14%.
This is a short growing dark purple 'Awa and is one that was reserved for the Chiefs and royalty not the common people.
The stalks are short, smooth and almost black but more on the dark purple side, this 'awa can also have some green in the stalk.

8) Nene- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and a average kavalactone content of 10%.
This 'Awa is tall and has green stalks with spots all over it. This variety was mentioned in Hawaiian history as being used for children but only as a medicine and not for pleasure.

9) 'Opihikao- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462531 and an average kavalactone content of 12%.
This 'Awa is a tall growing black variety with a lot of spots on the stalks and this was also called spotted Hiwa because it looks just like the 'Awa Hiwa but it has spots all over the stalks. This 'Awa is kind of rare and hard to find.

10) Pana'ewa- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and an average kavalactone content of 15%.
This 'Awa used to be called "Short Inter-node Green" or just SIG, it describes the morphological characteristics of this 'Awa, it is short and green, it does have some purple too. This is a real good 'Awa for drinking, it is very pleasurable.

11) Papa'Ele'ele- This 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 15% and sometimes up to 20% or more, this is a short inter-node, black 'Awa and it is considered one of the better 'Awa to drink. There is folklore that says that this 'Awa was reserved for the queen and it even mentioned her 'Awa patch in Waipio Valley.

12) Papa'Ele'ele Pu'upu'u- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 463251 and an average kavalactone content of 15% or higher. This is a short dark 'Awa with spots and it very strong, it is a favorite among the locals.

13) Papa Kea- this 'Awa has an average chemotype of 462351 and an average kavalactone content of 22% and higher.
This is a short green 'Awa and was also called "Apu" , this is a very good drinking 'Awa and is very strong, it is one of my favorites.

14) Akau Huli- Tongan variety- "Akau Huli" meaning Akau = long, describing the stalks and Huli meaning black describing the color of the stalks. This is a strong kava and I like to grind it real fine, I find you get a stronger effect that way and you use less powder and drink less of the drink, that = less bloating from too many cups of kava. :)
Coincidentally, yesterday I went out in my back yard and took this photo of a Hanakapi'ai plant...later I'll try and add a few more pictures of some of the cultivars GHK has listed...
DSC00285.JPG

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Just posted a photo of (possibly) my favorite Hawaiian cultivar- Hanakapi'ai. Strange coincidence that Sunday afternoon I was checking on this plant, weeding around it and thought it would be a good time to take a photo. This cultivar is the only Hawaiian 'awa that was found in only one place, the Valley on Kaua'i that has the same name. To my knowledge was not found anywhere else here. Hanakapi'ai Valley once had a large Hawaiian village and the rock walls, pohaku foundations are still partially here as was someone's 'awa garden. We thought maybe some kahuna's private stock. Now Hanakapi'ai has been distributed throughout the Islands and it sure is an excellent drinking 'awa.

D

Deleted User01

That funky black coloring on the stem make it look Alien. I have some elephant ears like that and I like that color pattern. By the way, my ornamental kava refuses to die and every where I put the pot, the roots take hold in the ground and out pops more kava from the ground. That kava plant is invasive. If only it was the good stuff.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
That funky black coloring on the stem make it look Alien. I have some elephant ears like that and I like that color pattern. By the way, my ornamental kava refuses to die and every where I put the pot, the roots take hold in the ground and out pops more kava from the ground. That kava plant is invasive. If only it was the good stuff.
What is ornamental kava? I thought you could drink any kava, but certain varieties that shall remain nameless may not be as enjoyable for some people?

Status
Not open for further replies.