What's new

Kidney stones got me, do I have to take a break from Kava ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Sorry typo, yes 10.8 mm. Good eye.
Sorry it is a side effect of being an engineer with a professor that that would mark your whole answer wrong if you left off or got units wrong....you get unit OCD pretty quickly and I still have not recovered. :)

schatz

itchin for kava
Sorry it is a side effect of being an engineer with a professor that that would mark your whole answer wrong if you left off or got units wrong....you get unit OCD pretty quickly and I still have not recovered. :)
No thats cool, I took drafting classes for years and used to be the same way. Thanks.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I was diagnosed with my first kidney stone last Oct 2015 (CT revealed a 5mm stone on my left side) . Back then I was not drinking kava but instead alcohol everyday and to much of it. I attest getting the stone to to much alcohol and not enough water.

I started drinking kava back in May or so of this year. Just this last Friday I began having the same pain as the kidney stone had produce but in my lower abdomen this time (previously it had been on the left-hand side of my lower back). I have not felt the pain since last Friday. I don't feel that the kava causes kidney stones but lack of proper hydration does.

At this point I don't know if I still have a stone in me or if I may have passed it......I've heard horror stories of people passing stones. I fortunately haven't experienced anything like that.

schatz

itchin for kava
I was diagnosed with my first kidney stone last Oct 2015 (CT revealed a 5mm stone on my left side) . Back then I was not drinking kava but instead alcohol everyday and to much of it. I attest getting the stone to to much alcohol and not enough water.

I started drinking kava back in May or so of this year. Just this last Friday I began having the same pain as the kidney stone had produce but in my lower abdomen tyhis time (previously it had been on the left-hand side of my lower back). I have not felt the pain since last Friday. I don't feel that the kava causes kidney stones but lack of proper hydration does.

At this point I don't know if I still have a stone in me or if I may have passed it......I've heard horror stories of people passing stones. I fortunately haven't experienced anything like that.
Did you ever pass that stone or did the pain just go away? From what I have gathered from my research into these little bastads is a lot of us are walking around with them and dont have any symptoms. It is only when they get moving or get big enough when we dont drink enough water that we feel their effects. Today after doing kava last night and drinking the Chanca Piedro tea hard and heavy for the last few days the pain is incredibly non existent right now. We shall see if this might be a nice way out for us stoners, I might consider drinking a maintenance cup of tea every other day or so from now on. This stuff is supposed to be a great detoxer along with other benefits that could not hurt. Mr. Binx, are up on this herb?

violet

Do all things with love
I know of people who have lived without problems with kidney stones for years since they added chanca piedra. Gold Coin Grass is very good for kidney stones as well.

schatz

itchin for kava
I know of people who have lived without problems with kidney stones for years since they added chanca piedra. Gold Coin Grass is very good for kidney stones as well.
I have not heard of Gold Coin Grass before, thank you for the info, will have to do more research.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
Did you ever pass that stone or did the pain just go away? From what I have gathered from my research into these little bastads is a lot of us are walking around with them and dont have any symptoms. It is only when they get moving or get big enough when we dont drink enough water that we feel their effects. Today after doing kava last night and drinking the Chanca Piedro tea hard and heavy for the last few days the pain is incredibly non existent right now. We shall see if this might be a nice way out for us stoners, I might consider drinking a maintenance cup of tea every other day or so from now on. This stuff is supposed to be a great detoxer along with other benefits that could not hurt. Mr. Binx, are up on this herb?
If I passed the stone from last Oct, I never knew it. My long standing concern is that I never passed it and now the new pain I felt last Friday in my lower abdomen is the same stone working its way south......but it could just as well be a new one.
I've also been drinking 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with around 8 oz of water everyday since last Oct. In my research I found that this could help to dissolve existing stones (on top of lots of other health benefits). I'll have to look into this Chanca Piedro tea.....I've never heard of it.

schatz

itchin for kava
If I passed the stone from last Oct, I never knew it. My long standing concern is that I never passed it and now the new pain I felt last Friday in my lower abdomen is the same stone working its way south......but it could just as well be a new one.
I've also been drinking 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with around 8 oz of water everyday since last Oct. In my research I found that this could help to dissolve existing stones (on top of lots of other health benefits). I'll have to look into this Chanca Piedro tea.....I've never heard of it.
From what I have been reading about stones there are 5 different kinds with the most popular being calcium oxalate stones. And it depends on which type you have as to the what you should be doing to dissolve stones. Since most common is calcium oxalate they recommend keeping your magnesium levels up to prevent calcium from forming stones somehow. Also kava from what I have been reading will be beneficial in that it is a calcium blocker and relaxes the urinary parts, and prevents urinary issues anyway going way back. I think cider vinegar and lemon juice help, maybe I will try them but for now I will stick with the tea and kava for a better experiment and get another ultrasound in a month and see if it is helping to shrink or eliminate them. I guess from what I have been reading we should do follow up ultrasounds to make sure we dont have anymore stones every now and then if your prone to them. The will lead to problems down the road in kidneys even though they are not felt. Good luck with your stones and keep me informed, I will do same.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
From what I have been reading about stones there are 5 different kinds with the most popular being calcium oxalate stones. And it depends on which type you have as to the what you should be doing to dissolve stones. Since most common is calcium oxalate they recommend keeping your magnesium levels up to prevent calcium from forming stones somehow. Also kava from what I have been reading will be beneficial in that it is a calcium blocker and relaxes the urinary parts, and prevents urinary issues anyway going way back. I think cider vinegar and lemon juice help, maybe I will try them but for now I will stick with the tea and kava for a better experiment and get another ultrasound in a month and see if it is helping to shrink or eliminate them. I guess from what I have been reading we should do follow up ultrasounds to make sure we dont have anymore stones every now and then if your prone to them. The will lead to problems down the road in kidneys even though they are not felt. Good luck with your stones and keep me informed, I will do same.
Thanks, same to you and will do!

schatz

itchin for kava
I recieved my CT scan report yesterday and stones are gone in left kidney and now I have two stones in the right kidney. They are down to 1.1 mm in size, so yea the Chanka Piedra worked. Just makes me wonder how big the stones might have been before I started the Chanka tea. I started having pains 6 months ago and went on the Chanka piedra in August, but was making a weak tea out of it because it is kind of expensive. Then after my ultrasound said they were 10 and 10.8 mm. it scared me and for 3 weeks I made Chanka really strong and drank it 4 times a day and it really worked. Amazing stuff from our rain forests, if you ever get the stones I highly recommend. By the way I drank my Kava everynight. Oh also I am now an expert on kidney stones if anyone needs one let me know, and will try to answer your questions.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
Awesome news, glad to hear it! I've personally had no more pain episodes since the last one I previously spoke of but I will be getting some of this Chanka tea to have on hand.

schatz

itchin for kava
It worked for me, even the Dr. that I went to was amazed. The dr did not ask how or what I was using and I thought that was kind of strange. All I did was drink 4-5 cups of Chanca a day and made no changes to my diet otherwise, my naturopath recommended phosfood liquid by Standard Process, he never heard of Chanca Piedra. I dindt like the idea of adding phosphoric acid to my stones not knowing what they are made from, sometimes I read phosphoric acid can make certai type stones worse. So decided on the Chanca since I did not know wich type of stone I had, better safe than sorry.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Alkaline diet is key

Acidic pH causes the body to attempt to Alkalize by taking calcium from the bones and putting it into the blood. This is then built up and excreted as kidney stones.

Alcohol, ciggaretes, coffee, pepsi, most American food.. are all acidic.

schatz

itchin for kava
I found a chinese medical practitioner a few weeks ago, although she is from Germany and not chinese she is very interesting. The kidneys play a very crucial role in our entire chi and system of yin and yang. Very interesting and it kind of explains a lot of what has been going on in my life lately. Hiighly recommend, seemed strange at first, and I will let you all know how it is working for me in a few more weeks. I am so glad I threw my western naturopath to the curb, they seem to be as bad as osteopaths, more cocerned with the amount of money they can get from a patient every month and keep you coming back for more. Good luck to everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.