What's new

So what's the deal with Wakacon?

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Just curious, I see this stuff on Amazon all the time. It has good amazon reviews, is only $33 a pound shipped and they claim that every batch is tested and verified noble by the University of the South Pacific. Has anyone had a good experience with the stuff? Does the USP really test kava?

schatz

itchin for kava
I partake in Wakacon waka and lawena every now and then, I have only been using kava for 9 months. I enjoy the Wakacon, but since finding this forum and reading about other producers I have been enjoying Kalm, Gourmet , and variuos other kavas. Have not noticed any adverse effects from Wakacon products and even did an acetone test back in Jan. an it showed yellow. Back in January it was 28 bucks a pound so trying it was a finacial decision also.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I wouldnt question its nobility but rather the amount of aerial parts it may contain.
Usp does do testing but only for kavalactones percentage. Fiji only grows noble kavas so thats one area i wouldnt worry about.

Last edited:

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not looking to replace my favorites from GHK, N@H, etc...but rather just to have a cheap backup supply laying around. If there is a chance that it could be adulterated or have aerial parts I'll probably pass. @Kava Time , your offering has become my current favorite kava but is just to pricy to drink every day, I save it for the weekends.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I agree, I am good with the price to quality ratio on Kava Time, just can't afford to drink it every day. Over the summer I stocked up on N@H Black Sands when it was on sale, worked great as a daily grog. Actually, at $39/lb. on Amazon the new offering from Lami might be just the thing.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
The last four lbs of kava I've bought has been Wakacon. I can't say it's bad but the effects are weak compared to more well known vendors. If you need a cheap kava to get you through to your next paycheck it will work great as long as you don't expect magic

schatz

itchin for kava
Lami Kava should be a real winner. Big Kava was a great daily Kava
Agreed, I purchased 2 lbs. of Big kava back in February just in case. Glad I did because I went back on Amazon a couple months later and it was gone. I saved the last 1/2 pound or so for memories and glad I did because now I can compare it to the Lami kava. It looks very muck the same , very finely ground with a few pieces here and there, and am pretty sure has same effects although I am not a Kavasseur yet. Some kavas are finely ground like Big or Lami kava and some is less ground like Kalm and Cactus and Chris Gourmet has bigger pieces I have noticed so far in my kava journey. Does this make any difference to you in potency or effects that you have noticed?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It makes a difference in terms of what kind of preparation the Kava requires. So yes, I'd say it makes a difference. With AluBall I like a finely ground Kava, but I actually prefer medium grind for traditional prep.

Last edited:

schatz

itchin for kava
It makes a difference in terms of what kind of preparation the Kava requires. So yes, I'd it makes a difference. With AluBall I like a finely ground Kava, but I actually prefer medium grind for traditional prep.
Now that you mention it I have noticed the same results, the finely ground kava kind of resembles a clay in traditional prep and is harder to strain. Can you still get the same amount of kavalactanes out of less finely ground kava with traditional prep, it just seems like you would not. It kind of feels like I am just rubbing wood chunks around in abunch of water, although the effects seem to be better than the Alubal.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I agree, I am good with the price to quality ratio on Kava Time, just can't afford to drink it every day. Over the summer I stocked up on N@H Black Sands when it was on sale, worked great as a daily grog. Actually, at $39/lb. on Amazon the new offering from Lami might be just the thing.
Waka has become very expensive in fiji after the cyclone and with my overhead costs im barely breaking even. My wakas are definately worth keeping for weekends i reckon unless if you can afford it for daily use. I will have lawenas available soon which will be great as a daily your kava and it will be significantly cheaper than the wakas

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Ill second the support for wakacon. The Lawena is really weak but the Waka Kava is really decent for the price. It has been my go to lately and I much prefer it over even higher end Borogu from other vendors. I cannot speak to them using the upper parts of the plant but they do say they only use lateral root.......