What's new

Newbie here to tell you how I manage to drink kava despite the dreaded kava allergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spellwriter

Kava Curious
Hello all!

I discovered kava through my husband, who hit a kava bar when he was in Chicago for the World Series (GO CUBS GO!) I am sober from alcohol and all types of drugs including pot, so while I was initially hesitant I've found that kava does not pose any threat to my sobriety. I've found it to be self limiting (literally can't stomach more than 4 shells) and the effects mild, pleasant and not particularly "intoxicating".

Now, BECAUSE I'm an alcoholic I immediately went full tilt on kava. It took a few weeks for me to feel the anolyxotic effects but once I did I found it a nice way to wind down in the evening. I call it my "anti coffee."

However, after about 3 weeks of regular use, I broke out in an absolutely horrific rash. Hives and
Huge hot welts, tingly itchy spots from head to toe. I had thought initially it was a reaction to a contrast dye they rushed during a medical procedure I had, (which I still think may be the culprit of turning on my body's defense response, as I had no problems w kava until the day after this procedure.)

Anyway, by process of elimination I figured out that the kava was indeed causing the reaction, or at least perpetuating the prolonged response. After it cleared up entirely I began to reintroduce the suspected things into my system and once I added kava back the welts and hives returned. I was pretty bummed but I figured maybe I could just drink in case of emergency (panic attack, plane ride) and deal with the reaction later.

Now, I am a stubborn jerk. After my most recent reaction (all reputable vendors I sourced from here, with the reaction more pronounced in some vendors than others) I managed it very well and decided I could limit kava to once or twice a week.

I'd like to share my prep and preventative measures with this forum in the hopes it will help someone else (I searched a lot for others with this reaction to kava and pretty much all of the ones I came across decided to quit drinking it.)

First and foremost, brand. GHK has the least effect re: the hives; possibly (I think) due to the level of their grind, which does not allow as much sediment to pass through the bag.

Second, strain. I have had (so far, knock on wood) no reaction to boroguru. It may be the preventative measures I'll explain later, and it also may be that boroguru contains less of the type of Kavalactone that I am sensitive to. FWIW it seems to happen more with Fijian kavas.

Third, prep. I make a pitcher of iced earl grey tea, and steep my kava in that plus a little milk and some sweetener, kneed, TRIPLE strain and serve over ice. I find that it not only makes it taste better, it actually tastes GOOD.

Fourth, preventative. About an hour or so before drinking kava, I take 75 mgs of Benadryl, 150 of Zantac, and some ibuprofen. Kava binds to the histamine 1 & 2 receptors, and in my case this was triggering an aggressive autoimmune response. Taking these two drugs before kava ensures that my receptors are "turned off" when the kava hits. I repeat these pills the following morning and evening.

Fifth, water. The day after drinking kava I make sure to drink a TON of water.

And finally, timing. I know I can't drink it every day, So I always take a few days off after drinking at night for a day or two.

I hope this helps someone who feels they will have to give up kava due to the "allergic" response (which it really isn't, it's more of an autoimmune response to the histamine receptors recognizing kava as a foreign invader).

Thanks for reading, and I am glad I found this great forum (and kava!)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have to admit I was wondering where this was going at the start and had visions of going back to a certain thread discussing an unusual administration method of kava ;-) .

I'm glad you found something that works for you, shame you have to go through all that to enjoy some kava but good you still can. I think maybe the drinking lots of water would be really helpful. I'm wondering if supplementing with coconut oil may help prevent some of the reaction too?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
When I first started kava I had a mild reaction to it. It seemed to be made worse by one popular cultivar. I avoid that one. My reaction was much like seasonal allergies or dog dander allergies. My eyes would feel like sand was tossed in them. I think what helps me out is that I don't need much at all to get where I want to be. Though it can be fun at times I don't go for the heady buzz (Fijian I am looking at you). My preferred use is abit in my daily morning coffee or an extract/candy as a mild nerve tonic. I think my low dose use has helped me to be desensitized to my allergy; so that, I can enjoy a few shells of instant once or twice a month. The only way I can think of to over come an allergy is to start out at VERY low doses and work your way up till you hit your limit or sweet spot.

That being said, don't take allergic reactions lightly. They can kill you. If you ever find yourself short of breath due to kava use, stop it and find another way. There are other safe alternatives out there; but, it is hard to duplicate all that is kava! I like phenibut on occasion, but this one can be addictive and has a quick tolerance build up (two days on four days off). I use it to help me sleep some nights. It is not a herb, but more of an "over the counter" Russian medication used by cosmonauts. If you are the type that may abuse it, stay away... L-dopa is a subtle and effective herb/bean powder that can also be useful.

Last edited:

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
@Spellwriter much love for sharing your kava experience and skin situation. I and experiencing my second good case of the derm. Seems to happen Everytime i order a bag of micro and consequently start using it more often due to convenience. I get a dry skin, and as I scratch it, it becomes a reddish rash. Honestly sounds nothing like the skin reactions you go through. Perhaps more dilute shells would suit you.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Wonderful information, thank you for taking the time to write it and share it.

You may also want to introduce 2 tbs of coconut oil into your diet (organic, extra virgin, I use nearly flavorless), I eat 1 tbs in the morning and one at night (be careful at night, (eat it early, as it provides a natural boost of energy). Some people prefer to introduce the oil as part of their recipes instead of consuming as I do and that also works well.

I also use pure coconut oil as a moisturizer. Coconut oil has been found to be one of the best natural moisturizers with anti-bacterial & anti-fungal qualities just to name a few. (next to pure Aloe Vera and Lavender oils (the next best few).
More on the subject;
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...te_Xerosis/links/570e072d08aed31341cf91cf.pdf

http://www.coconutboard.in/docs/English-Article-VCO-Carandang.pdf

http://www.coconutoil.co.nz/PDF/A_New_Look_At_Coconut_Oil.pdf

Depending how sensitive your stomach may be, 4 Tbs may also be used (2/2). It does however affect bowel movement so a slow daily introduction over a 2-4 week period is usually recommended.

Spellwriter

Kava Curious
When I first started kava I had a mild reaction to it. It seemed to be made worse by one popular cultivar. I avoid that one. My reaction was much like seasonal allergies or dog dander allergies. My eyes would feel like sand was tossed in them. I think what helps me out is that I don't need much at all to get where I want to be. Though it can be fun at times I don't go for the heady buzz (Fijian I am looking at you). My preferred use is abit in my daily morning coffee or an extract/candy as a mild nerve tonic. I think my low dose use has helped me to be desensitized to my allergy; so that, I can enjoy a few shells of instant once or twice a month. The only way I can think of to over come an allergy is to start out at VERY low doses and work your way up till you hit your limit or sweet spot.

That being said, don't take allergic reactions lightly. They can kill you. If you ever find yourself short of breath due to kava use, stop it and find another way. There are other safe alternatives out there; but, it is hard to duplicate all that is kava! I like phenibut on occasion, but this one can be addictive and has a quick tolerance build up (two days on four days off). I use it to help me sleep some nights. It is not a herb, but more of an "over the counter" Russian medication used by cosmonauts. If you are the type that may abuse it, stay away... L-dopa is a subtle and effective herb/bean powder that can also be useful.
Thank you for your input!!!

Im definitely very careful and sticking with the strains that have caused no reaction. Since the reaction is latent (doesn't appear until about 12 hours after ingestion) I don't think anaphylaxis is much of a concern, but I'm definitely more aware now that I know I have a sensitivity.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I have to admit I was wondering where this was going at the start and had visions of going back to a certain thread discussing an unusual administration method of kava ;-) .....
Um.. I know the thread you are talking about...but am not sure how you got there from here... o_O

verticity

I'm interested in things
It is interesting that you say @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava tends to cause the least problem with allergic reaction. One thing that GHK does differently than most vendors is that he is very meticulous about shaving the bark off of the root stumps. Most Fijian kava producers don't bother to do that. I wonder if the bark has something to do with this allergic reaction that some people get?

Spellwriter

Kava Curious
It is interesting that you say @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava tends to cause the least problem with allergic reaction. One thing that GHK does differently than most vendors is that he is very meticulous about shaving the bark off of the root stumps. Most Fijian kava producers don't bother to do that. I wonder if the bark has something to do with this allergic reaction that some people get?
I would be really interested to know that. For what it's worth since this post i no longer have any allergic reaction -- so it does go away if you're persistent!

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I would be really interested to know that. For what it's worth since this post i no longer have any allergic reaction -- so it does go away if you're persistent!
Unfortunately it does not go away for everyone. I watched some good folks leave the forums here after they gave up on kava due to allergy. It all depends on how your body chooses to deal with it.

Spellwriter

Kava Curious
Well that's a bummer, then. My reaction was next level, went to the hospital and everything. But as I was eliminating/adding things back in to determine the cause I realized that it was the kava, and also that the reaction was a bit better every time. I guess the proper reply would be, it CAN go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.