What's new

Kavasseur Strainer and AluBall Faceoff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I feel like I can stretch the Kava a bit more with the AluBall. I've been filling AluBalls 3/4 full and shaking four and sometimes even five washes out of them. I do think the strainer makes the Kava taste nicer and more "traditional."

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I like and use both as well, I like the strainer a little bit more because I can use more root compared to the 2 aluballs. I have used other bags for traditional prep and in comparison, the kavafied strainer bag is the easiest to clean.
Use 3! :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Kavasseur great vids. Did you double wash the trad prep or just use loads of water on the first wash? One thing I've noticed is that you tend to rewash in the aluball a lot.

How about using a blender for contrast?

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I got an Aluball recently, but I only use a single ball. I still like kneading when I'm home, but the ball changed my life! I can sneak it in to movies WAYYY easier than my tupperware "tanoa".

interesting @Kavasseur , I feel like kneading gives me more shells for each spoonful of root. If i'm trying to save time, I ball. If i'm trying to save root, I knead.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I usually double wash with the strainer. But I get a pretty weak grog out of it. Something about the AluBall just makes it easier
I just woke up a little while ago and haven't had grog yet, one of my aluballs ripped, I still use it. Today I will go with traditional prep :) almost Friday..

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm in a smallish truck this week, got a new one coming but it's not ready yet, so I've been aluballing but not straining after which I usually do. As a consequence I've been taking it a bit steady and seeing how I feel before putting more in. I do seem to be a little sensitive to sediment but I've been doing OK. Malekula magic last night and it hit me just right, nice. Taking 4 shakers and 12 balls with me is the perfect solution. Anyway, in the process I've come across a way to rewash but still keep your average strength quite high. Basically start with one ball filled halfway, 1.5 to 2 tbsps. Give that a good shake, you can get dry patches when there's too much root. It's going to soak well anyway as you'll see so should be OK. After your first shell from the first ball add the second ball with the same amount of root. Then after the second shell add the third ball. You can then keep adding liquid and shaking until you feel like you've had enough or you're not getting much more out of it. I use plenty of liquid each time but just drink one cupful each time so the root is left soaking for a while. Seems to work well.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
By the way, watch out for the second and third shells. They're the strongest!

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
@Kavasseur don't you think the reason the traditional tasted better was because you used a ton more water when you made it?

I mean really no offense but you probably used double the water if not more, you said maybe 1.5L .. with the same amount of kava watered down of course it's going to taste smoother. We know the Aluball only holds like 700ml.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
@Kavasseur don't you think the reason the traditional tasted better was because you used a ton more water when you made it?

I mean really no offense but you probably used double the water if not more, you said maybe 1.5L .. with the same amount of kava watered down of course it's going to taste smoother. We know the Aluball only holds like 700ml.
I used all six tablespoons at once with the traditional prep, but could only do two tablespoons per AluBall session. The AluBalls only hold about three tablespoons max

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
I used all six tablespoons at once with the traditional prep, but could only do two tablespoons per AluBall session. The AluBalls only hold about three tablespoons max
I understand that completely however you could have used the same amount of water in the traditional prep. I see no reason not to. As I said the reason it was smoother tasting is likely because it was weaker.

Are you saying you had three Aluballs of 700ml each or something? I'm confused.

I don't like putting more than 2 tablespoons in the Aluball either because I feel like it reduces efficiency. I'll probably buy a second one for double Aluballing though.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
What I typically do is put two heaping tablespoons into two AluBalls and fill the container up to where the letter "U" is. I do two or three washes, empty the AluBalls, and then start over. Even with a third wash, the Kava tastes different than traditional prepped Kava. It's not a matter of strength, it seems to have to do with the size of the mesh. Also, it might be that "massaging" the Kava makes it taste a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.