What's new

What would you do before giving up on kava?

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I dunno, gang. I'm thinking maybe kava just doesn't work for me. I've tried it in many forms and have only felt "ah... oh, I can feel tension releasing" once (that was with Kavalovetone Capsules on an empty stomach in the morning.) I have tried several different strains of medium grind prepared the traditional way, Kava Candy, kavalactone full spectrum paste and Kava Plus tincture. The most I get out of it seems is a numb mouth and some low-grade nausea. (Except for the one grind I posted about that I drank too much of and had pretty hellacious rebound depression/anxiety, "weight of the world" kind of effects for the evening.)

Grinds I've tried: Mood and Mind (purchased off amazon), GHK: Hiwa and Hanakapi'ia, Real Kava: Waka Grade Vanuatu

I am really bummed-- I had pretty high hopes for kava being the solution to just kind of giving me a chill at the end of the day. Being a ceremonial marker that "hey, time to relax, girl!" I'm not looking to get what I guess everyone calls "crunk" (I'm pretty sure I'd barf my brains out or gas out the entire room if I drank enough to do that...)

So, what do the experts think? Is it worth the time/$ to keep pursuing this, or are there some people for whom it just doesn't work?

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
Also, let me know if this would be better posted over in the main forum, since maybe it's more a question for oldbies than newbies. Thanks!

S

Summer

I think kava will work on most people most of the time. Even I have bummer sessions now and again, but if you are going into a session with a presupposition about it and expecting lackluster results, you will most likely have lackluster results. That is my experience, anyway.

Hiwa and Hanakapi Ai have had heavy effects for me. Maybe try something strong and balanced, like Mahakea.

Kava Wolf

Prowling for Kava
I dunno, gang. I'm thinking maybe kava just doesn't work for me. I've tried it in many forms and have only felt "ah... oh, I can feel tension releasing" once (that was with Kavalovetone Capsules on an empty stomach in the morning.) I have tried several different strains of medium grind prepared the traditional way, Kava Candy, kavalactone full spectrum paste and Kava Plus tincture. The most I get out of it seems is a numb mouth and some low-grade nausea. (Except for the one grind I posted about that I drank too much of and had pretty hellacious rebound depression/anxiety, "weight of the world" kind of effects for the evening.)

Grinds I've tried: Mood and Mind (purchased off amazon), GHK: Hiwa and Hanakapi'ia, Real Kava: Waka Grade Vanuatu

I am really bummed-- I had pretty high hopes for kava being the solution to just kind of giving me a chill at the end of the day. Being a ceremonial marker that "hey, time to relax, girl!" I'm not looking to get what I guess everyone calls "crunk" (I'm pretty sure I'd barf my brains out or gas out the entire room if I drank enough to do that...)

So, what do the experts think? Is it worth the time/$ to keep pursuing this, or are there some people for whom it just doesn't work?
Greetings, KavaSmurf...I just commented in another thread moments ago about how Kava seems to work for me as far as feelings go. I've experienced the the different types...heady, heavy and balanced. The problem for me seems to be having agitation during sessions. I seem to get agitated very easily. If I'm alone I'm fine, but if people are around and want to talk while I'm having a session I seem to want to withdrawal. Not always, but a lot. I think Summer hit the nail on the head when calling it a "bummer session". That being the case maybe it's just me and my thinking during a session. I don't plan to give up as there are too many benefits to be had. I hope you continue to give it a chance as well. A side note: The Dua Na Bilo Fijian Waka seems to mellow me really well. Less agitation with this, for sure. Hang in there, KavaSmurf.

Kalm with Kava- micronized Loa Waka my friend. I used it to quit smoking weed and it has been seamless. That stuff is potent and quite smooth with a nice body high.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I may give it one more shot, with one more brand (Loa Waka). A lot of it is that I am a mom with a 4-year-old and a one-year-old so, yeah, I'm always around others and in a somewhat frenetic environment when I take it (which is what I'm hoping to take some of the edge off of.) I'm at the point now that, if I even smell it in the cabinet, I kind of want to hurl. I find myself thinking most afternoons "If I make and drink some kava, maybe I can take some of this edge off... but that also means I need to drink the stuff." And I almost gag often just thinking about it, so I often just stick with the stress and don't bother drinking any. It's a shame tinctures don't work, but, then again, I like the self-limiting effect of the actual grog making me ill and gassy and miserable if I take any more than a little. Maybe instant would be an option for me, but I wonder if that's worse on the gut?

Thanks for the input, though, I would love this to work out for me!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@KavaSmurf from what you've said I think maybe straining more could help? Try and get hold of a 50 micron strainer. You'll strain out some of the good stuff but what's left shouldn't affect your stomach anywhere near as much. I find the vanuatu waka from real kava to be really good. Also Hiwa being quite heavy should be more relaxing. Maybe too much sediment is interfering with that? I know if I get too much sediment I can get stomach problems and more anxious and weird than relaxed.

Instant should work fine for you, they are usually very gentle on the stomach.

Once you get a few positive experiences of kava then the revulsion to it should lessen considerably. I always say that I like the taste of kava but plenty of people have pointed out that it's probably more that I associate the taste with the good time to follow.

Munsoned

Kava Curious
You might also want to try KWK's kava concentrate for some help with taste. If you are buying Loa Waka from KWK you could get a sampler with the concentrate and some instants.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@KavaSmurf Trying to get to the root of your problem, if you will, my first question is, what is your root to water ratio? Hands down the most common reason for lackluster effects for kava newbies is underestimating how much root you should use, and how much final product you should drink. Go big. 1 part kava to 4 parts water should do it. Minimum 6-8 oz. chugged 15-30 minutes apart. When preparing, use those guns. You should knead and squeeze for 10 minutes, and you should feel a forearm "pump" when you're done. Here's a video
Also, be sure to drink on a very empty stomach. I typically won't even drink kava if I've eaten any less than two hours prior. It makes a huge difference.

Finally, find the right kava. You want something that has at least 8% kavalactones, 9 or 10 would be better. If you want to try any of ours, you got a discount code when you signed up as a member here. We're sold out of a few things right now, but the new batch of 'Eua we have is amazing, and the Borogu will do the trick as well. For convenience, the 11 Year micro is great, and quite potent. If you try some and it doesn't work for you, email me personally and I'll give you a refund.

Good luck. I really hope it works our for you. Kava is special stuff.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I ordered the kava concentrate for KWK and didn't feel anything on the recommended 1 oz. I will see what happens if I double up. it was delicious, though! Also go the micronized instant in that kit and drank on an empty stomach after a workout. Nada at the reco'ed doses, again, will try doubling up. I'm just a little skittish after that experience with the Hiwa when I just wanted to jump out the car window. Miserablosity, but I do hear the Hiwa is super "heady," so it might have kicked my prone-to-panic brain into overdrive.

Thanks for the tips, BKH, I'll try making my mix even more concentrated... the micronized instant I drank last night did give me some tummy trouble, so I am going to double up my Beano, too, in an effort to head that off.

Oh, the lengths we'll go to catch a chill... seriously, we should all just retire to the islands themselves and live in a grass hut on the beach, am I right?!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
You might also want to try KWK's kava concentrate for some help with taste. If you are buying Loa Waka from KWK you could get a sampler with the concentrate and some instants.
I agree with your recommendation for the KWK concentrate. If what she wants is just to be a bit mellow, and avoid the nausea of grog, that stuff will take care of both issues. It even tastes good. It's expensive, but no more so than a decent mid-range bottle of scotch, and you have one or two glasses in the evening, it's worth it, and of course, it has none of the negative effects of scotch.