What's new

Medicinal Usage Question for regular kava drinkers who use kava for anxiety

If you drink kava regularly for anxiety, what have your results been over time?

• I drink kava several times a week for anxiety, and notice diminishing returns for treatment over tim

• I drink kava several times a week for anxiety, and it is a consistently effective treatment

• I drink kava daily and notice diminishing returns as a treatment over time

• I drink kava daily and it is a consistently effective treatment

• I drink kava daily for anxiety and notice an increase in the effectiveness despite long term daily

Results are only viewable after voting.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I'm making this poll to see if anyone gets diminishing returns treating anxiety with kava over long term. Please only comment if you have been drinking kava regularly for at least somewhere close to a year or more.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
I was thinking about this about 10 mins ago! I have come to the thinking that instead of chasing a krunk i'm finding it better to have a couple of shells a day just to take my anxiety away. This is proving very effective i must say. I've started doing this as sometimes going OTT with kava can put me on edge BUT by the morning i'm ok and stress free!
I love waking up in the morning feeling fresh and no anxiety whatsoever. I know when the Kava is in full effect because i find myself humming songs all day long much to the annoyance to my Mrs.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I chose the daily and consistent option. I never notice any diminishing returns as far as the actual affect however it can still backfire on me if I end up drinking so much that makes me overly tired. This has happened to me even with extremely heady kavas

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I'm making this poll to see if anyone gets diminishing returns treating anxiety with kava over long term. Please only comment if you have been drinking kava regularly for at least somewhere close to a year or more.
Have you found diminishing returns from daily kava usage? I've most definitely noticed it in the past 6-9 months. I posted in the lounge a little while back wondering if it is just me or if the quality of kava in general has declined over the past year or two.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I don't think there's anything wrong with the quality of kava these days. I do notice slight diminishing returns though.

S

Summer

I really prefer GHK instants because I feel like I get proper dosage with them. I have taken kava for about 18 months after withdrawal from benzos. It was strictly medicine at that point. I can't afford only instants anymore, so I have been struggling to buy medium grind and try to get a bag of instant maybe once a month, if possible. But I think with medium grind I am never sure about how many kavalactones I am getting. It feels more inconsistent for me than when I was using instant all the time. So, I'm not sure if it's my preparation or what.

Vice

Kava Enthusiast
Summer i hope you can stay away from the Benzy. I struggle with extreme anxiety and depression for a long time. Benzodiazepines worked for a time with only increased dosage. I've been able stay away from any meds for about 2-3 years using only kava and other herbs. I feel the same way as you Summer making traditional grog, I'm never sure exactly how much kavalactones I'm getting, unless I weigh out some micro or fine grind root so I know exactly how much I'm getting. That's why I always dry sift my med grind first. My stress relief has been has been pretty consistent over the last 3-4 years but as I've said I do use other herbs as my treatment. When I do feel like the kava isn't working quite as well I chock it up to something like my digestion being off, maybe I've eaten to soon or to much or something like that.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
I only get diminishing returns if I use the same strain daily for weeks. After some time off the effects come right back.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
*raises hand* I drink it once every 1-1.5 weeks. Been doing that for I think a little over 3-4 years now? Something like that. No diminishing returns here.

Once a week, not so bleak (y) .... so corny:X3:

Jimmyricky

Kava Curious
Exactly what what @Vice said. Take your dry kava and put it into your bag, with plenty of room to move around and shake until little dust comes out. I do this everytime. I even just use this and put the rest in the bag for when I'm desperate and then do a large traditional method when needed. Always works very well. Its almost like a cheap instant/micro. I've had instant from BHK, best tasting thing in the world, but not as potent as this dry shake. Hope you try this and helps you save money. And of course sometimes I take whats left and do a traditional with it and then combine the two!

I drink it everyday at a rate of 8 to 15 shells per day. For someone who is generally highly antisocial and unable too open up to people I do not know 4 years of kava drinking and I now have an incredible group of friends, people I can turn to and count on. I've never had diminishing effects but I've also never experienced the reverse tolerance. I don't change strains and I've been drinking the same kava consistently for over a year

Jay Charles

Kava Curious
i've found that kava is pretty great at giving me exactly what i need day in and day out (once i nailed down the particular kinds i liked). that said, as with other meds, you're treating the symptom not the cause. so i still get anxiety here and there and you can get used to having the kava effect every day. but for me it makes everything way WAY more manageable. i rarely ever go a day without kava but i'll often cut my intake way down occasionally so that it doesn't take a lot every day to keep me ok. switching up strains here and there also helps a lot

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
that said, as with other meds, you're treating the symptom not the cause.
I feel many people forget this very important point you made. Kava when used for anxiety relief, is wonderful at managing the symptoms. To be truly anxiety free on a reoccurring basis, there is only one way to fix it and that is to address it.

This dawned on me over the last couple years since I started drinking kava. I have been slowly facing my fears or things that have caused these problems in the first place. There is no other way around it and if you ask any psychiatrist this question they will tell you the exact same thing. I realized the only way to end it for good, is to push through it not go around it or numb myself to a point that I don't feel it or remember it.

It doesn't need to be all or nothing, I started with the smaller things and I am working my way forward.

To add to the complexity of this issue, everyone's irrational fears are different therefore you have to identify them for yourself first before you can start to move forward.