What's new

Canopy kava

wayne.suslansky

Kava Curious
I ordered the Vanuatu yesterday. I checked today and all they had left was the Solomon in medium grind. I think I'm sorry i brought this whole thing up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hope it's good stuff!

At the just-in-time instant kava factory.
Trying out the Vanuatu Instant Green Kava right now, as it just arrived in the mail. It doesn't look anything even remotely like the colour green so I assume the green refers to the fact that it is likely made from fresh "green" kava. Smells fresh in the bag, reminiscent of Nangol and Nambawan. Looks ok, like the dried sludge I make. Took a bit of effort to stir but it eventually did and looks basically just like grog. I used a heaping tsp and a half to about 6 or 7 oz cold water.Tastes..... interesting. Tastes similar to the kind of instant I make at home, a bit better, actually. Also tastes Vanuatuey, if that is an adjectve. Tastes strongish but I had no idea about what ratio to use. Except for homemade I have never had any instant before, let alone green instant. Pleasant enough. Only just starting to drink it now, waiting for effects.....

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
well, my final verdict is..... the instant is fine. Not a single thing wrong with it. I don't really see the point of instant since it takes me just as long to make instant kava as it does for me to shake up an AluBall, but I could see where this was very useful for travelling or shitty faculty meetings or other forms of torture where other preps aren't possible. There was absolutely nothing objectionable about this and it tastes like grog. You have to keep stirring it because it settles very quickly

OTOH, at $23 for 2 oz, that makes it roughly double the price of comparable products from BKH and KWK but a tad cheaper than GHK.

I don't really know enough about instants to determine if this is a good purchase or not in terms of monetary value. Certainly the product itself is fine.

but btw, subsequent experience with their Solomon Gold, which is not gold, btw, just as the Vanuatu green is not green, was even more favourable than my first impression. This is a heavy kava which is surprisingly mild to drink, quite pleasant, with long-lasting pain killing effects. Which is a good thing because I have so far ordered 4 lbs of t, so it's nice to discover I like it more than I originally thought, and I liked it just fine before.

Last edited:

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
but btw said:
Geez! Save some for us hoggy mchogface! lol I was able to procure a bag of fiji and a bag of soloman gold. Should be arriving tonight! He says he will have more stock soon please dont buy it all! :)
Also I suck at quoting messages

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwiw, here is the text of the message he sent me:

Thanks for writing. As a very avid kava drinker, I appreciate your kind
comments. I do think that we have really good quality kava powders. We
do have more Vanuatu Kava on the way that will hopefully arrive within a
week. There is somewhat of a kava shortage for a number of reasons. A
few years back, Cyclone Pam devastated the South Pacific islands and a
lot of kava plantations coupled with increased demand in the US, this
has lead to a shortage and price increases. Nobole cultivars require 5
or more years before harvest and thus, we may still feel these effects
for another year or two. Anything out of Fiji at the moment, prices
have seemed to recently skyrocketed, so we probably will not be carrying
for a while. The reasons for this are both internal and possibly linked
to demand/devastation.
That being said, the Solomon we have a good amount of inventory, and the
sources are seemingly able to keep up with the demand. The powder is
surprisingly very good quality. Our Solomon Gold in particular is a
very good powder; it is a 50/50 blend of Lateral Root to Basal Stump so
as far as Kavalactones it is slightly higher than our 'Vanuatu Noble'
which is a 30/70 Lateral to Basal Stump ratio.
Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoy this item. Thank you for your business, have
a great evening.
Alan

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
fwiw, here is the text of the message he sent me:

Thanks for writing. As a very avid kava drinker, I appreciate your kind
comments. I do think that we have really good quality kava powders. We
do have more Vanuatu Kava on the way that will hopefully arrive within a
week. There is somewhat of a kava shortage for a number of reasons. A
few years back, Cyclone Pam devastated the South Pacific islands and a
lot of kava plantations coupled with increased demand in the US, this
has lead to a shortage and price increases. Nobole cultivars require 5
or more years before harvest and thus, we may still feel these effects
for another year or two. Anything out of Fiji at the moment, prices
have seemed to recently skyrocketed, so we probably will not be carrying
for a while. The reasons for this are both internal and possibly linked
to demand/devastation.
That being said, the Solomon we have a good amount of inventory, and the
sources are seemingly able to keep up with the demand. The powder is
surprisingly very good quality. Our Solomon Gold in particular is a
very good powder; it is a 50/50 blend of Lateral Root to Basal Stump so
as far as Kavalactones it is slightly higher than our 'Vanuatu Noble'
which is a 30/70 Lateral to Basal Stump ratio.
Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoy this item. Thank you for your business, have
a great evening.
Alan
I love this guy's detailed replys! Great customer service! I got some pretty detailed responses as well!

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
I wrote a review of the vanuwaka warning specifically about the strength. Sorry that happened to you. Yes, it is extremely strong.
Yeah it was not fun. I have a pretty high tolerance to kava and 3 balls is usually JUST getting me there, so it causes me to question if this stuff is for real. Do we know any specs on this stuff? I dont wanna call a vendor out, but I'd like to know if they have the Super Kava....in a sea of phenominal kava.... or if there is something else going on. Kava does not hit me like that ..........at least since the first time I had 11 yr micro waka years ago. This was far more intense!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My wife and I have both drunk it several times without any problems, quite the contrary, it is really great kava. But we made it weaker, drank slower, and drank less than we would with other kavas. Tastes astoundingly good to us.

Always go slow the first time trying a kava, though.

FWIW this is virtually certain to be forney klin and they are super high standards for the industry. The odds you got something bad or not kava are extremely low.

Last edited:

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
My wife and I have both drunk it several times without any problems, quite the contrary, it is really great kava. But we made it weaker, drank slower, and drank less than we would with other kavas. Tastes astoundingly good to us.

Always go slow the first time trying a kava, though.

FWIW this is virtually certain to be forney klin and they are super high standards for the industry. The odds you got something bad or not kava are extremely low.
Ok. I'll try it again this weekend .....after I stop feeling like I got hit with a mac truck! It's just hard for me to wrap my head around a kava being this strong after years of trying multitudes of top shelf strong kava.....maybe the kava is getting stronger the way way weed got stronger over the years?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Ok. I'll try it again this weekend .....after I stop feeling like I got hit with a mac truck! It's just hard for me to wrap my head around a kava being this strong after years of trying multitudes of top shelf strong kava.....maybe the kava is getting stronger the way way weed got stronger over the years?
If it was well sealed, resold klin kava, it would be much stronger than anything on the market over the past couple of years. I used to get very strong effects from just a few shells of high quality balanced/heavy kava like Wow or Nambawan a few years back.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
If it was well sealed, resold klin kava, it would be much stronger than anything on the market over the past couple of years. I used to get very strong effects from just a few shells of high quality balanced/heavy kava like Wow or Nambawan a few years back.
I'm not familiar w/ Klin kava. What is that? Is it possible I've not had any even trying most of the usual suspects' kava out there for the last 4 yrs?