What's new

Maybe Kava just isn't for me?

Dena

I hear so many positive things about kava but I'm not sure yet. I started with the extracts/tincture type. I don't think I enjoy those. I bought some recently from Bula Kava house that needed to be kneaded and strained and it was alright, not that great. Now I am trying the instant kind. I also bought this from bula kava house. They call it 11 year instant. Mostly, it just seems to be making me feel sick. I get a mild relaxation but it's been making me so nauseous I had to buy some pepto bismo. My head feels off, not in a pleasant way. It's instant but it just stills seems too thick and semi gritty. I want to experience the joys of kava but maybe it's just not for everyone? Trying to decide if I even want to keep trying or throw this stuff away. Any words of wisdom, advice, etc.? Should I still strain the instant if I can't stand the paste-like substance it creates? Maybe I am using too much? too little? Well if you feel like commenting, please do. Thanks!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I hear so many positive things about kava but I'm not sure yet. I started with the extracts/tincture type. I don't think I enjoy those. I bought some recently from Bula Kava house that needed to be kneaded and strained and it was alright, not that great. Now I am trying the instant kind. I also bought this from bula kava house. They call it 11 year instant. Mostly, it just seems to be making me feel sick. I get a mild relaxation but it's been making me so nauseous I had to buy some pepto bismo. My head feels off, not in a pleasant way. It's instant but it just stills seems too thick and semi gritty. I want to experience the joys of kava but maybe it's just not for everyone? Trying to decide if I even want to keep trying or throw this stuff away. Any words of wisdom, advice, etc.? Should I still strain the instant if I can't stand the paste-like substance it creates? Maybe I am using too much? too little? Well if you feel like commenting, please do. Thanks!
for me it definitely had a learning curve. It wasn't wonderful for me right off the bat. There was a lot of hit or miss experimenting on my part as I got my sea legs.

How motivated are you? What are you looking for kava to do for you? It can do a bunch of different things, so maybe it's best to target it for what you want and if that succeeds, then explore more of what kava has to offer, once you are over the taste/nausea/bad feelings bump in the road. Maybe even just focus on one thing, at first.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
oohh... the micro isn't for the faint of heart. I would call it a chalky texture. you could mix it weaker, and try straining despite it being micronized product.

For your next purchase though, I would recommend a different kind of kava, but in medium grind. Not all kinds of kava work well for everyone and Its good to find your go to.

Krunkie has a good point about kava taking some time to appreciate. But its also not for everyone. I do think if you got issues with the texture, best bet is to steer clear of micro for the most part.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Welcome to kf :).

It would be helpful to know what dosage you are taking, as in tablespoons. Reverse tolerance can be a factor as well, as Chuggs said, sometimes it takes a while for your body to get acclimated to kava and its full effects.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
If it's a bit pasty you could try using more water, you could use a lot more so it's a lot thinner and drink some every 30 mins for a while so the effects build more slowly. That's a strong kava so going too fast with it would definitely bring on nausea. If you try a medium grind again use the blender method and see if that makes a difference. It could easily have been your prep not getting the best out of the root.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Oh don't do extracts those are terrible. If you want a real good kava experience, make sure its nobel kava root. I've tried at least 12 kavas, from the crappy garbage sand powder at the grocery store, to the freshest, noblest kind. Stay away from extracts or mass produced kavas. They provide almost zero benefit with more side effects.

I didn't like kava at first. I got really nauseated so I did all sort of experiments to reduce it and realized nothing would mask the flavor. The nausea slowly faded but it still comes but its nothing too unruly. Over time the reverse tolerance got better and the side effects diminished. Here's the thing, if you want a full experience with kava you need to be willing to accept and fully embrace it for what it is and not try to mask the flavor or anything like that. I did chew gum with my kava for awhile and that actually helped a lot but in order to get the strongest effect I had to take it straight, with no chaser or additives. It just hits harder that way. You acquire a taste for it overtime even too. Try chewing mint gum or alto ids for nausea if it gets unbearable. Drink lots of water and make sure you're eating enough. The few times kava actually caused me to puke was because I didn't have anything else in my stomach.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I've found through (a lot) of trial and error what works for me, but it's quite clear the kava journey is very particular to the individual. I experienced a lot of nausea at first and still can with new strains without the right conditions...I had RT for the first month, and have it again every time I change strains. I exclusively use micronized, because I find I need a much larger dose than most peeps to get effects even with a 4 hour fast beforehand. I can only have one dose of kava a day or nausea is guaranteed, but it doesn't seem to matter how big this single dose is (so I make it big :D).
If I'm using a relatively maka-free micro like KWK's varieties (my preferred for good effects with less nausea at reasonable cost), I'll just drink it with a water/milk solution. Recently I was left with some KK lat root instant which is pretty rough. It finally occurred to me to strain it...it's hugely reduced the nausea for me and hasn't dampened the effects much (but then I have 4 tbsp as a starter dose) :D
One thing I can tell you, is that for me, the learning curve was worth it. I've binned so many boxes of script meds since I took this road, thanks to kava.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome and I hope you can sort out the right kava for you. I have tried micronizef kavas, and they always are too hard on my stomach. I have officially given up on those.

Have you considered aluball? That is an easier way to prep and I rely on that all the time. In these forums you will lots of tips on aluballing and freezing the makas for using with a traditional type preparation to help get the most bang for your buck. See especially krunkiemckrunkface for this.

Good luck! I think it’s too soon for you to give up on kava.