What's new

Newbie Questions

Hello everyone! I am the definition of a Kava newbie. Before reading the Kava forums, I bought some pills and a tincture from Kava dot com, but now I realize there are much better options. I would mainly like to use kava for its anti-anxiety properties to help see get to sleep and stay asleep. Xanax works great for me, but I obviously would rather avoid that like the plague. I also would like a form of kava that is convenient to travel with since I travel for work quite a bit, and need some help in the sleep department when I stay in hotels. That being said, I am looking for recommendations on which vendor to buy from, what form (instant or micronized because of my travel requirements), and specific strains for anti-anxiety/sleep issues. I am also curious how many "servings" people normally get from a 1/2 lb bag, and also how long it takes for the effects to kick in and how long they last? Thanks for helping out a new member!

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
Brand new myself, only been drinking Kava for a little less than a month. So far I have had Tikaram's Tongan strain, which is available in 1/2 lbs on Amazon, a lb of Kavafied's Kava Supreme which is a Vanuatu strain, and am currently on a lb of Bula Kava House's Akau which is also a Tongan strain. The 2 Tongan strains I have had are going to have more "heady" effects and more euphoria, well-being; while the Kava Supreme is more a body "stronger" Kava. Each have their benefits and I have found that most people on here have their go-to Kavas. I along with another member have had issues with "stonger" Kavas where they give us the jitters and although they relax the body more and make you not want to get out of your seat, they tend to not help with sleep. Seems to me like different Kavas do different things to different people at different times. On your question on traveling Kavas, no idea. I actually had a bag sent to someone I know in San Diego so I have it while I am there next week because I didn't want to take any chances at the airport. Finally as far as 1/2 lb and how long it will last, that depends on you. My first 1/2 lb bag of Kava was gone in 5 days, then I got a lb of Supreme that lasted almost 2 weeks and now the Akau I am on I went through half a lb in 4 days so depends on how it effects you and what you are trying to achieve. The reason the Kava Supreme lasted so long for me is because it was stronger and if I tried to do too much too fast it made me sick, whereas the Akau I can do it back to back and just feel better so IDK?

Thanks! I was thinking about ordering some Kava Supreme from Kavafied. Is there any kind of advantage of ordering it directly from their site instead of on Amazon? I was curious if people found that by ordering it direct, you received a fresher product.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I would go direct if possible. Regarding sleep. Ive found stop drinking kava 3 to 4 hours before the time you would like,to feel sleepy.

I would go direct if possible. Regarding sleep. Ive found stop drinking kava 3 to 4 hours before the time you would like,to feel sleepy.
3 to 4 hours.... that's good to know. Maybe I am thinking about kava all wrong. I was hoping to use kava largely as a sleep aid, at least initially. I guess it's not advisable to take it an hour or two before bedtime? Is that because of the heady effects?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
3 to 4 hours.... that's good to know. Maybe I am thinking about kava all wrong. I was hoping to use kava largely as a sleep aid, at least initially. I guess it's not advisable to take it an hour or two before bedtime? Is that because of the heady effects?
It does often work as a sleep aid. Just one you have to stop taking an hour or more before bedtime.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Some people maybe an hour or so. Me oersonally ive found its longer.
As its sedating and calming one would think it sends you to sleep straight away. But i think
The sensation is so enjoyable you dont want to miss it. Nut i find once its worn off a bit and particuLry
Once ive had something to eat. Im just left with a sense of wellbeing and as soon as i say right, ipad off, head on pillow
Im straight asleep.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Some people maybe an hour or so. Me oersonally ive found its longer.
As its sedating and calming one would think it sends you to sleep straight away. But i think
The sensation is so enjoyable you dont want to miss it. Nut i find once its worn off a bit and particuLry
Once ive had something to eat. Im just left with a sense of wellbeing and as soon as i say right, ipad off, head on pillow
Im straight asleep.
oh yes, I believe to stop drinking kava 3 - 4 hours before bedtime is really the ideal for a good solid 8 hours of sleep. But at least 1 hour is a good rule. That's your minimum if you want good odds on the solid 8. Longer than one hour ups your odds proportionally. And then DMR (diminishing marginal rates of return on additional investments) goes down above 4 hrs. 5 hrs is really no better than 4, IMO, but 4 is better than 2.

I am using the Aluball. Water temperature.....is it OK to use the filtered cold water that comes out of the fridge, or does it really need to be only room temperature for the best results? Also, how many washings have people found success with per Aluball?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
i think of it as your body taking time to metabolize the kava, just like everything else. i NEVER eat anything witin 3 hours of bed time. My body is just too active otherwise.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I am using the Aluball. Water temperature.....is it OK to use the filtered cold water that comes out of the fridge, or does it really need to be only room temperature for the best results? Also, how many washings have people found success with per Aluball?
It doesn't matter what temperature you use to make kava in general, as long as it isn't boiling. Cold tap water is what I use, mostly.

As for number of washes, I can usually get 2 or 2.5 washes using the AluBalls before it becomes too weak. However, once I have done that, I freeze the makas and when I have accumulated a large enough amount to make it worthwhile, I then thaw those makas out and knead them in a bag in trad prep style for another 4 washes, using less water with each successive wash. For those I use warm tap water to soak the bag of makas for 10 minutes before kneading. Everything I make goes through at least 6 washes, but sometimes can go up to 8. For me it's an eXXXtream Sport, like bungee jumping or nangol.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I find hot (not boiling but hot to the touch tap water ~130F) does extract more KLs, but it also makes a much more bitter brew. You also have to cool it back down in the fridge or over ice because warm kava is well, warm kava...bleeech. If I am prepping a 2 day batch to put in mason jars with traditional prep I will go with the hot water. If I am in a hurry and shaking up an aluball I almost always go with cool to room temp water.

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
@Zaphod Ya I thought that maybe I would get better effects from using warmer water because it smells and tastes so much more potent, but I havent found that to be the case. Just tastes more overpowering and not as mellow and smooth and the effects are practically the same.