What's new

Over Indulging?

Kava4All

Kava Curious
So I would like to get some other kava enthusiasts opinions. I will sometimes go through a 2 ounce container of micronized over the weekend. Is this over indulging or is it comparable to how much you use?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I drink three heaping tablespoons per night, but I avoid micronized. I knead or AluBall medium grind Kava.

I think you have to gauge for yourself whether you’re overdoing it or not. I usually know if I’m overdoing it when I start to “feel slow.” Then again, that could just be me being 37 and starting to not be the young whipper-snapper that I used to be.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think if you get really good at drinking kava you can drink enormous amounts of kava with no ill effects.

It is also easy, if you aren't familiar with what you're doing, to way exceed a wise dosage at fairly low quantities.

So I don't like to speak in absolute volumes and in general terms, but try to speak to specifics, other than broad parameters, e.g. you want to try to set your daily max at 12 TBS, except for very rare occasions.

Kava4All

Kava Curious
I drink three heaping tablespoons per night, but I avoid micronized. I knead or AluBall medium grind Kava.

I think you have to gauge for yourself whether you’re overdoing it or not. I usually know if I’m overdoing it when I start to “feel slow.” Then again, that could just be me being 37 and starting to not be the young whipper-snapper that I used to be.
Right I get it. I listen to what my body is telling me but I dont always abide by it

Kava4All

Kava Curious
I think if you get really good at drinking kava you can drink enormous amounts of kava with no ill effects.

It is also easy, if you aren't familiar with what you're doing, to way exceed a wise dosage at fairly low quantities.

So I don't like to speak in absolute volumes and in general terms, but try to speak to specifics, other than broad parameters, e.g. you want to try to set your daily max at 12 TBS, except for very rare occasions.
This is something I have always had issues with is setting limits. I need to set an amount to have and stick with it. Appreciate it!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur

As an everyday Kava drinker, I can confirm that it is still very easy to overdo it. In fact, for me there is a clear line where I need to stop drinking Kava before I start feeling ill. About one month ago I was really stressed and had a six tablespoon session that made me quite ill.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
2 ounces of micronised doesn't sound like a lot to me for a weekend. A lot depends on how you drink it though. I find I can drink a lot of kava over a long evening without tipping into too much nausea, an hour or so between strong shells is not uncommon for me. If I put large, strong shells in over a short period of time I'm going to feel bad every time. There's no upper limit to what you should be drinking, it's just down to yourself and what you feel you need. Letting the kava guide you is the best way, with experience of what kava is telling you and then actually abiding by it you should be able to drink just enough to be where you want to be and learn to spot the point where enough is enough.

Edit... a good example is when I make up a litre of strong kava and I get to the last shell and leave it because the first three hit me harder than expected. After many times of drinking the fourth shell anyway and then wishing I hadn't I've got to the point where I can say no, the kava will be there tomorrow.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
As an everyday Kava drinker, I can confirm that it is still very easy to overdo it. In fact, for me there is a clear line where I need to stop drinking Kava before I start feeling ill. About one month ago I was really stressed and had a six tablespoon session that made me quite ill.
Oh absolutely, there is no natural or acquired immunity to toomuching, although sipping tends to be more effective than chugging for preventing toomuch, I find. If you start feeling like you had too much when sipping, you just cut back and it self-corrects in about 15 or 20 minutes, but if you just chugged one whole strong shell too many, yeah, it's too late for fine or subtle adjustments, I find. You just have enough time to fetch the comfy chair.

Sometimes it can be fun to surf that edge, just underneath "too much." But it can be precarious, easy to tip over into "too much." Takes practice. But man, it can be beautiful, I'd be ling if I said otherwise. But definitely something folks need to train up for before playing with.

FWIW, on a usual evening sesh I will make a litre by double-balling with 4 TBS over two washes and combine. I thin sip that in tall glasses with ice at a rate of about 500ml per hour but then taper down as it continues. Maybe down to even 250ml per hour. Remarkably like the bad old days of downing a six while Netflixbinging, with occasional interruptions for chill, just minus the bloating, inebriation and hangover. More like just relaxation, sociability, clarity and a great peaceful vibe with cosmic overtones. And undertones. And some tones right smack in the middle. Also, when I drink kava, I feel more connected to the earth and its critters, less alienated. Hard to name or describe that feeling, or put a value on it, but I love it. It takes on the element of a sacrament or a communion, but without any trace of pretense. It's purely organic.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This is something I have always had issues with is setting limits. I need to set an amount to have and stick with it. Appreciate it!
this will sound like strange advice, maybe even a tad twee, but try to listen to the kava. The kava will tell you what you need to know, what is wise to do.

I always listen to the kava and it never lies to me. It also loves me and wants what is best for me. If you let it, kava can be a very very good friend.

Also, little known fact, you can ask kava a question and often get the answer (you *already* know the answer to most questions, kava doesn't tell you the answer, it just helps you realize you already know it). I find it quite useful. If I am going to have a decent sesh I often start with a question as the theme of the sesh. I find this can be very very productive.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I use mm to reconcile myself with death (specifically, deliberate overdosing on thc to provoke the most paranoid and horrible thoughts possible, which forces me to deal with everything, so I can put it away, rather than let it stay there and continue to be a threat - note, I do not recommend this to anyone, if it went wrong it could be a disaster, I am not a typical case and don't think this would actually work with many people, probably fewer than 1%, but it does work and very effectively with me, but note also I have never experienced anxiety or depression in my life. Over 60 percent of men in my medical situation, half a year after a RALP but with BCR manifest, suffer depression, so much so that the risk of suicide can be higher than the threat from the cancer itself, but I do not, probably a genetic fluke), and kava to reconcile myself with life. I prefer kava.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Mm does this to me everytime I overdo the thc aspect.
It's very intense and very specifically death related everyone since I feel as though I may die lol.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
this will sound like strange advice, maybe even a tad twee, but try to listen to the kava. The kava will tell you what you need to know, what is wise to do.

I always listen to the kava and it never lies to me. It also loves me and wants what is best for me. If you let it, kava can be a very very good friend.

Also, little known fact, you can ask kava a question and often get the answer (you *already* know the answer to most questions, kava doesn't tell you the answer, it just helps you realize you already know it). I find it quite useful. If I am going to have a decent sesh I often start with a question as the theme of the sesh. I find this can be very very productive.
I try to go by the "respect the kava and it will respect you" mindset.