What's new

How far do you space your shells?

David H.

Kava Curious
As a former alcoholic, I think I’ve been disrespecting the kava. I tend to slam down multiple shells within a 20 minute period, similar to my previous drinking habits. I’m beginning to think this fast-paced kava consumption is to blame for the anxiety and nausea I’ve gotten during several recent sessions. I’ve spaced my shells out considerably tonight. It might just be coincidence, but the nausea and anxiety seem considerably less.

I’m curious, how far apart do most of you space yourselves? Have you found it improves your kava experience?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I tend to have my first 2-3 large shells within the first 20 mins, then start to settle down and space them out once it hits home.
It really depends on how strong your mix is, shell size, and what kind of session you want. I don't think there is anything wrong with slamming several quickly on the face of it, so long as they are not putting you to bed before you've had chance to enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Anyone else feel like if you slam your body with too strong or too many shells right off the bat your body kind of fights back to filter it out of your system very fast. Like a fast peak. Like your body goes all battlestations, battlestations. When I have a lot of time to myself for nice long sessions I find I get much more krunk when I do a slow build. Like one Aluball and space the shells a good while apart but then after those washes get a fresh Aluball to keep going, and repeat. Then I achieve a much deeper level of kruzz and can really, really listen to the Kava. Like I am tricking my body to not over-filter the Kava. All is good, nothing to worry about here, kidneys.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
As a former alcoholic, I think I’ve been disrespecting the kava. I tend to slam down multiple shells within a 20 minute period, similar to my previous drinking habits. I’m beginning to think this fast-paced kava consumption is to blame for the anxiety and nausea I’ve gotten during several recent sessions. I’ve spaced my shells out considerably tonight. It might just be coincidence, but the nausea and anxiety seem considerably less.

I’m curious, how far apart do most of you space yourselves? Have you found it improves your kava experience?
I started a similar thread, a little further down the front page, which you may find helpful, as well...

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-your-kava-consuming-pace.14977/

David H.

Kava Curious
Anyone else feel like if you slam your body with too strong or too many shells right off the bat your body kind of fights back to filter it out of your system very fast. Like a fast peak. Like your body goes all battlestations, battlestations. When I have a lot of time to myself for nice long sessions I find I get much more krunk when I do a slow build. Like one Aluball and space the shells a good while apart but then after those washes get a fresh Aluball to keep going, and repeat. Then I achieve a much deeper level of kruzz and can really, really listen to the Kava. Like I am tricking my body to not over-filter the Kava. All is good, nothing to worry about here, kidneys.
This just furthers my belief that Kava is really a special substance. Like you, I’ve noticed that spacing my shells does seem to increase the strength of the effects somewhat. Makes no sense as no other substance I’ve ever taken reacts like this.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Sorta like what Grapefruit juice does to certain substances in the liver ?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I tend to pace it a lot slower but I more often than not mix my shells quite strong. I drink one then wait and see how that hits. If it didn't do much I'll only wait 30 mins but if I get blasted then I can leave it up to 1.5 hours. That way I just listen to what my body (and the kava of course) is telling me and ride the wave. I usually manage to avoid any nausea and keep myself feeling just nice over the course of the evening.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I tend to have my first 2-3 large shells within the first 20 mins, then start to settle down and space them out once it hits home.
It really depends on how strong your mix is, shell size, and what kind of session you want. I don't think there is anything wrong with slamming several quickly on the face of it, so long as they are not putting you to bed before you've had chance to enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
yes. When having a sesh I typically start with two shells, then have one shell every 20 minutes or so afterwards, with each shell getting spaced a little further apart as the heavy relaxation really kicks in. It just tapers towards the end. Unless I start up another sesh right away with a double shell. Might do that sometimes.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
yes. When having a sesh I typically start with two shells, then have one shell every 20 minutes or so afterwards, with each shell getting spaced a little further apart as the heavy relaxation really kicks in. It just tapers towards the end. Unless I start up another sesh right away with a double shell. Might do that sometimes.
What volume is each shell? I tend to go for big and strong like 2 tbsps per shell and 7 or 8 oz of liquid. It makes for a big cup of quite thick, strong tasting kava but it hits well.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
What volume is each shell? I tend to go for big and strong like 2 tbsps per shell and 7 or 8 oz of liquid. It makes for a big cup of quite thick, strong tasting kava but it hits well.
I try to do it like at a nak, a small shell would be about 250 ml, a large is 500 ml, and a mini is in the 100 - 125 range. Those wold be for regular strength grog. If I have prepped it super strong, like a blend 'n strain then it shifts down in magnitude: a shell of strong would be 125 ml and a double would be 250 ml. Of course, if I'm sipping, none of that means anything and life just becomes one continuous shell, rather than a series of discrete shells.

My typical strength is that achieved using 4 TBS in 2 AluBalls (2 TBS in each) made in two washes and then combined to make 1 litre. That's my reference, and I try to make every prep, regardless of method, to that level of strength. Except, as I say, on those occasions when I want or need it strong.