What's new

Things I've noticed (almost 1/2 a year with Kava)

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Wanted to post some observations I've made during my Kava experience. Currently creeping up on half a year of daily use.
I stopped a little while back, when I noticed my skin getting ashy (face and hands), for fear of getting full-blown dermopathy.

I picked it back up, and currently have no issues with it, regardless of if I use Amlactin or not. I just don't have ashy skin.
What I DO notice (and this may be something unrelated to Kava, but I feel like it's not) is itchy skin. My sides and upper legs, specifically.

Some positive things:
  • I notice when I start preparing Kava at the end of the day, I automatically get a mood lift. Previously this was traditional kneading/straining - the process put me in a nice state of mind - but I started using the Alubottle (which I had my reservations about, until I discovered it is not a gimmick) and that has spoiled me. The shaking action puts me in a good mood. Psychological, obviously, but it's interesting because I'm not one of those placebo people who can take natural supplements (have tried almost all of them) and feel good *thinking* I'm supposed to feel good. It's that I KNOW how Kava can potentially affect me, so that is where the mood lift comes from - the expectation.
  • I no longer have to take 40 grams to feel anything. Nearly gave up on it, for that reason. Stronger ones like Kava Supreme used to take WORK to get down the hatch, because I was downing so much in only 12 to 16 oz of water. Same with MeloMelo or Nambawan. Super strong. Got to the point where I would gag just thinking about drinking Kava. But now I can get effects on 15 grams of Kava Supreme. Sometimes even the recommended serving of 10 grams.
  • Ones that had little to no discernible effect on me have now become my favorites. Kalm's Loa Waka, for example. SO easy to drink! If it's a pre-dinner / end-of-day dose, I go with at least two 12 gram servings in two Aluballs (24g total) for a fairly noticeable lift.
  • I enjoy drinking pre-lunch now. I have a couple of "daytime" ones I like (Loa Waka is one), and can get results with 10 or 15 grams.
  • Simply having something to look forward to... is a big deal. Although I never can tell for sure what Kava is going to do for me on any given day (it seems fickle), I still know what it HAS done in the past - to the point of euphoric mood lift - and that is enough.
I don't ever feel like I *need* it, as far as withdrawal type symptoms (because theoretically your body never becomes dependent on Kava), but I do end up enjoying it daily. I question whether I should take at least one day off per week, and would like opinions there.

Thanks for reading, and for the info shared here!

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
I would suggest taking a week off. But that's me. I'm an abuser. Anything that feels good....I take to the extreme. So for me taking a break is good.

If that's not you.....no reason not to shell away!!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I don't ever feel like I *need* it, as far as withdrawal type symptoms (because theoretically your body never becomes dependent on Kava), but I do end up enjoying it daily. I question whether I should take at least one day off per week, and would like opinions there.
So I am a daily drinker (going on 3ish years). I do take occasional breaks when I am not feeling well, a few family vacations, or short travel where I deem it not worth the hassle. Some would look at my daily drinking as an addiction or dependence - and I would disagree. It is more like a habit that I consciously choose every day. There is a difference between a substance controlling you (i.e. a bad drug addiction) and you controlling a substance in a manor that benefits you and your life. As long as you feel like you are choosing with a clear head to use kava then I see no reason to have to throw in a break every now and then. If you feel for some reason you are dependent on it, then maybe a take a few days off to convince yourself you don't "need" it, it is just there. I liken kava drinking to a person who runs every day. Do they need to run every day? Clearly no. Does it feel good to run every day, does it drop anxiety, does it help them in their daily life, do they miss it if they don't run - yes. Same with kava.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
So I am a daily drinker (going on 3ish years). I liken kava drinking to a person who runs every day. Do they need to run every day? Clearly no. Does it feel good to run every day, does it drop anxiety, does it help them in their daily life, do they miss it if they don't run - yes. Same with kava.
This right here resonates well with my kava use. I'm never taking it just to make myself feel "normal". I feel normal without taking it and feel normal taking it

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Wanted to post some observations I've made during my Kava experience. Currently creeping up on half a year of daily use.
I stopped a little while back, when I noticed my skin getting ashy (face and hands), for fear of getting full-blown dermopathy.

I picked it back up, and currently have no issues with it, regardless of if I use Amlactin or not. I just don't have ashy skin.
What I DO notice (and this may be something unrelated to Kava, but I feel like it's not) is itchy skin. My sides and upper legs, specifically.

Some positive things:
  • I notice when I start preparing Kava at the end of the day, I automatically get a mood lift. Previously this was traditional kneading/straining - the process put me in a nice state of mind - but I started using the Alubottle (which I had my reservations about, until I discovered it is not a gimmick) and that has spoiled me. The shaking action puts me in a good mood. Psychological, obviously, but it's interesting because I'm not one of those placebo people who can take natural supplements (have tried almost all of them) and feel good *thinking* I'm supposed to feel good. It's that I KNOW how Kava can potentially affect me, so that is where the mood lift comes from - the expectation.
  • I no longer have to take 40 grams to feel anything. Nearly gave up on it, for that reason. Stronger ones like Kava Supreme used to take WORK to get down the hatch, because I was downing so much in only 12 to 16 oz of water. Same with MeloMelo or Nambawan. Super strong. Got to the point where I would gag just thinking about drinking Kava. But now I can get effects on 15 grams of Kava Supreme. Sometimes even the recommended serving of 10 grams.
  • Ones that had little to no discernible effect on me have now become my favorites. Kalm's Loa Waka, for example. SO easy to drink! If it's a pre-dinner / end-of-day dose, I go with at least two 12 gram servings in two Aluballs (24g total) for a fairly noticeable lift.
  • I enjoy drinking pre-lunch now. I have a couple of "daytime" ones I like (Loa Waka is one), and can get results with 10 or 15 grams.
  • Simply having something to look forward to... is a big deal. Although I never can tell for sure what Kava is going to do for me on any given day (it seems fickle), I still know what it HAS done in the past - to the point of euphoric mood lift - and that is enough.

Thanks for reading, and for the info shared here!
Good stuff, eh? :)

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I love making kava, it's just part of the experience for me. Doesn't seem like past my usual amount I have what I get effect wise doesn't matter, it's gonna give me what its got within the first 15-20 minutes and get a little heavier later. The initial amount you take in is what matters the most, a little now and then throughout the session will get you a little more rooted but I've yet to get anything more than that. I still prefer what I prefer though, I'm just a heady rush kinda guy and like that whole colorful body and mind experience with the euphoria it brings. I can drink during the day now too given I don't have any hard work to do, I still prefer drinking later and having it take me to bed time still under its spell. I've never had any withdrawls besides after an extended time of not having it under the usual amount of times a week I drink it had a pretty obnoxious mental hyperactive rebound effect but it passed in a day, you won't ever get anything physical from it as far as I can tell.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Sometimes with things, forcing breaks can cause a paradoxical effect where you want it more. It did with me and alcohol anyways. Obviously take a break if you feel you need to, but I suggest not ramping yourself up psychologically about it. You know your body best and your kava use will likely wax and wane as you change and grow as a person and as your life changes. Follow your instincts and be self aware is all. I had to stop my daytime kava drinking for the most part because I get too lazy LOL.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I get itchy sides too. It's light dermo for me. I also get these subtle little red lines all over my sides that have a veinlike pattern to them.
This happened to me once when I was drinking more kava and I went to the park with my son. I tried out the monkey bars and let me tell you, they're not as fun as an adult! Anyways, I got that vein like pattern on my torso and I wondered if I gave myself stretch marks from that activity and dry skin. They went away when I lowered my kava consumption and focused better on hydration.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah for me they come and go very quickly and without much issue other than light dandruff. Same with my hand demo. I can be cracked and dry one day and then almost unnoticeable the next

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Yeah for me they come and go very quickly and without much issue other than light dandruff. Same with my hand demo. I can be cracked and dry one day and then almost unnoticeable the next
You're lucky! Those vein like red marks lasted weeks on me. I had accepted them and figured I was stuck with them. :D Now they're gone. Maybe they just needed acceptance.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
You're lucky! Those vein like red marks lasted weeks on me. I had accepted them and figured I was stuck with them. :D Now they're gone. Maybe they just needed acceptance.
I haven't had any yet but I am sure I will get it at some point! I've been a daily drinker of kava for only 4 months. No dermo yet. Some days, I drink more than others. Maybe I don't drink as much of it as I think?? lol.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Yeah I was basically drowning myself in grog at that time. Since then I’ve backed way off.
I make 6 cups with 8 tablespoonsful measured out. I do dilute with ice, though, which probably works out to 2 tablespoonsful per cup and drink about 4-6 cups per day. I know most measure in grams and MLs but this is how i do it. Some days, especially work days, I drink more like 2-3 cups. I have had very dry eyes, puffy, red, etc. after wokring in a dry environment and drinking through a metal straw. Not sure why this does that but my allergies go nuts on certain dry days and only when I work a long 10-12 hour shift. I supose this is a form of dermo. I just tend to have a very sporadic work schedule so, in between, I must recover or something? Not sure but it seems to be okay for now.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
I've enjoyed reading the replies. Thank you all for the feedback, and sharing your perspective & experiences.

Today I switched out a mid-day cup for Kava Candy. The new Ginger Mint flavor arrived today, so I figured it was a good time to give it a shot. No complaints about the Orange flavor, but I REALLY like this Ginger Mint! As far as effects, I don't expect TOO much. I'm somewhat of a hardhead to effects, anyway. But popped in a couple and will let dissolve sublingually.

I haven't gotten into mixing much, so that may be my next thing. Did it only once - at night (Loa Waka with Kava Supreme), but that's it so far. Kava Supreme has a more relaxing effect on me, so it's always been my end-of-the-day Kava.

Great resource here, guys. I appreciate you.

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Thanks for trying candy...hope they provided a little daytime relief!