What's new

Suggestions

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting on my first lb of Squanch waka and really looking forward to trying kava for the first time. How long do you think 1lb of kava will last a beginner as Im thinking i need to order some more as im currenly with the military abroad and my mail takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.
What kava would you suggest I order as I would like to try other brands to see what i like.

Cheers,
Paul

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting on my first lb of Squanch waka and really looking forward to trying kava for the first time. How long do you think 1lb of kava will last a beginner as Im thinking i need to order some more as im currenly with the military abroad and my mail takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.
What kava would you suggest I order as I would like to try other brands to see what i like.

Cheers,
Paul
I drink a lot of kava, the very upper end of normal, about 3 litres a day. A pound lasts me nine days, if that is all I am drinking. More average levels of use would have a pound lasting more like one to two months.

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
I drink a lot of kava, the very upper end of normal, about 3 litres a day. A pound lasts me nine days, if that is all I am drinking. More average levels of use would have a pound lasting more like one to two months.
Thanks for the info, do you have any recommendations on another brand i can try out?

Paul

Pakavalolo

Kava Curious
Try the Ikaika Medium grind sometime from GHK. Its only 30 bucks for a half pound bag and it covers the full spectrum of effects quite nicely. Starting out pretty heady and euphoric and fading into a not overly sedating relaxation.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
If you just want to try different kavas, some of the vendors have sampler packs. Kalm with Kava, gourmet Hawaiian kava and bula kava house have sampler packs. I can't guarantee if they're all in stock, BKH you can basically make your own sampler pack if you want. I'm sure there are a few other vendors that offer small bags of their kavas as well.

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
If you just want to try different kavas, some of the vendors have sampler packs. Kalm with Kava, gourmet Hawaiian kava and bula kava house have sampler packs. I can't guarantee if they're all in stock, BKH you can basically make your own sampler pack if you want. I'm sure there are a few other vendors that offer small bags of their kavas as well.
Great i will look into it, i was going to order some Nambawan from BKH but they aren't getting any stock for a few weeks. Just out of interest where does Hawaiian kava ship from?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Just out of interest where does Hawaiian kava ship from?
I don't believe Hawaiian varieties of kava are grown outside of Hawaii. I never got the impression that they're widespread compared to varieties from, say, Vanuatu. But someone more knowledgeable may have more current info.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
My 2 cents. One lbs lasts me about three good sessions for me and my wife. It depends upon several factors though. Quality of kava, my tolerance at that particular time, if I'm drinking solo, etc. When my tolerance is way down I find that a half cup of traditional prep gets me krunked for the evening. Method of ingestion also plays a role. I find that toss and wash has I much more potent effect but comes with more sides. It also feels less pure than traditional prep but is much more efficient and I only need 4 tbls of toss and wash for an evening.

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
I'm seriously going to have to stop reading and watching kava reviews, that's another order gone in tonight.
So far I've got 1lb of squanch, 1lb of kava roots Tongan family reserve, 1/2lb of vinaka waka and 1/2lb of vinaka chiefs choice on its way.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Great i will look into it, i was going to order some Nambawan from BKH but they aren't getting any stock for a few weeks. Just out of interest where does Hawaiian kava ship from?
We'll actually be restocked a little sooner than I thought. Customs and Border Protection was making sure I wasn't importing heroin or something, but finally released our shipments. It's all been bagged up and should be in Portland ready to order on Wednesday or Thursday. Gotta try the Nambawan. It's probably the best dry root kava powder I've ever had.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
I agree the Nambawan is great. I also toss and wash this frequently to make it last. More nausea and dermatitis but I'm a trooper. I need to branch out and get on to some good cheap every day drinkers. Borongoru and borogu seem like good options if I can find a cheap source for good root. Kava Boy Tongan used to be my go to. Nobel, good balance of effects and only 35 USD per lbs. Some one please start sourcing the same kava and providing it at the same price! Lol. Yeah I'm bitter.....

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
I agree the Nambawan is great. I also toss and wash this frequently to make it last. More nausea and dermatitis but I'm a trooper. I need to branch out and get on to some good cheap every day drinkers. Borongoru and borogu seem like good options if I can find a cheap source for good root. Kava Boy Tongan used to be my go to. Nobel, good balance of effects and only 35 USD per lbs. Some one please start sourcing the same kava and providing it at the same price! Lol. Yeah I'm bitter.....
Where do you get the bornongoru or borogu and whst price is it?

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
We'll actually be restocked a little sooner than I thought. Customs and Border Protection was making sure I wasn't importing heroin or something, but finally released our shipments. It's all been bagged up and should be in Portland ready to order on Wednesday or Thursday. Gotta try the Nambawan. It's probably the best dry root kava powder I've ever had.
Ill probably grab some from you then when it is ready to ship, let me know.
Cheers

Moondo57

Kava Curious
Is this batch of nambawan better than other ones you have carried in the past?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Is this batch of nambawan better than other ones you have carried in the past?
You'll find that like wines and loose leaf tea, kava batches can vary supplier by supplier and year by year. So one year's Nambawan may be headier than the next's, for example. Potency can also vary year by year. But rest assured, @Bula Kava House sells a quality product and he wouldn't compromise quality to keep his products in stock. If there's only so much of the good stuff to go around, then that's how the cookie crumbles.