What's new

New member-grateful to be a part of this!

Kalm with Kava or Kavafied?

• Kalm with Kava

• Kavafied

Results are only viewable after voting.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
hello everyone. I am new the the forums here and new to the kava world in general. So far I have tried kalm with kava’s Fijian and Kavafied’s vanuatu. I think I like the kalm with kava much better but I did purchase the alubottle from kavafied and really appreciate the convinience of its technology.

I have noticed my skin becoming more dry (I have dry skin anyway too) but that’s the only side effect I’ve noticed. If anyone has any general tips for me, please fill me in. Also, brands, strains etc are welcome to my ears, as I want to experiment with the best quality kava around.

Thank you all, you’ve been so welcoming to me!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
hello everyone. I am new the the forums here and new to the kava world in general. So far I have tried kalm with kava’s Fijian and Kavafied’s vanuatu. I think I like the kalm with kava much better but I did purchase the alubottle from kavafied and really appreciate the convinience of its technology.

I have noticed my skin becoming more dry (I have dry skin anyway too) but that’s the only side effect I’ve noticed. If anyone has any general tips for me, please fill me in. Also, brands, strains etc are welcome to my ears, as I want to experiment with the best quality kava around.

Both KWK and Kavafied are good choices. Part of the fun of kava is exploring different varieties, cultivars, and mixes from the various vendors. All tend to have different flavors and effects. You will also get different effects from the alubottle versus traditional prep (in my opinion). I would recommend buying lots of small samples or 1/2 lbs to explore what you like and works for you.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
@UmbrellaOps The dry skin you're feeling is because kava will dehydrate you. That's just how it is. Drink lots of water while you're drinking your grog. Feel free to use some lotion on whatever parts of your body you need to.

Kalm with Kava and Kavafied are both good choices. Kavafied's Alubottle is a nifty invention to have. There are days where I was in no mood to spend time on traditional prep and thankfully you get similar potency using the Alubottle. My advice to you when it comes to using the Alubottle is to get a 2nd Aluball so you can more finely adjust your potency. If you get great effects with 1 ball, this isn't an immediate necessity, but you'll find it hard to get potent grog in the Alubottle without additional balls.

Also, no two medium grind kavas are the same. Some more finely grind their root than others. If you're using medium grind from vendors other than Kavafied, you may find a lack of potency due to large pieces of kava root that you can't for the life of you extract the good stuff out of. It's not a bad idea to use a coffee/spice grinder to grind your medium grind powder into smaller pieces before putting this powder into your Aluball(s). As grinders often produce heat when using, try to grind your root for no more than 5-10 seconds, then let it sit before you pulse again. It shouldn't take long to whittle down the larger root pieces, but avoid sustained grinding.

Besides KwK and Kavafied, I recommend giving Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and Bula Kava House a try. From GHK, I hear great things about the Mahakea. Honokane Iki is my favorite. From Bula Kava House, their CO2 extract is very good and Judd is very knowledgeable about his sources, so you have a great idea of where the kava used in the extract comes from (most extracts are made from who knows what kind of kava, so normally I don't recommend extracts). Of their kava powder, I had their Nambawan in the distant past and I sadly don't remember how that was, but I hear good things about it these days from more veteran drinkers. I also hear the Melo Melo is out of this world. I wanna give the latter a try in particular!

Whenever (not "if ever") you hear about the noble kava vs non-noble kava subject, what it means is that there are certain kava varieties that are suitable for daily drinking with minimal adverse effects from drinking it (like nausea and hangover-like symptoms) and there are varieties that WILL have adverse effects from drinking it. If you ever see the keywords "tudei" (read "two day"), "palisi" or "isa," these are some non-noble varieties. If you want to stick with noble varieties of kava, make sure vendors clearly state what varieties their kava is and where it comes from. The more information about a particular product, the less likely they're trying to hide something. Usage of non-noble kava remains controversial. If you do a lot of reading, particularly in the "In-Depth" forum, you'll learn about the different camps regarding its use.

You'll find a lot of the regulars at this forum very helpful and friendly. Just be yourself (kava is very good at enabling you to be yourself) and friendly. Like coffee and tea, kava is a social beverage. Have a shell with us! :)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

toss a coin as they are both excellent companies with excellent products, informative marketing, and are both run by very nice gentlemen

as for the dry skin, well, it's winter. Make a perpetual pot of chicken soup on the stove, rub yourself with ungents and drink lots of water, maybe eat a spoon of coconut oil every day.

Welcome and Bula!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Excellent advice. More specifically, I recommend Amlactin for your dry skin, for your hands, feet and elbows, you can use something called O'Keefe's working hands, Kapm put me on to it last year and it's amazing stuff.

Welcome aboard! :)

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
Thank you all so much for weighing in your thoughts. They are all well recieved and appreciated.

I am enjoying this new experience but I just admit it’s beeb hampered by some fears. I am a recovering addict and see the benefits that kava can have on my overall happiness but I am drug tested monthly. After all the research I’ve done I’m still very nervous when I use Kava. I have abstained from all drugs and alcohol for 7 years. I am however in a methadone program where I am tested at random once a month. I know they send my urine to a lab and I have been an outstanding patient, but I still get nervous. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Much thanks,

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Thank you all so much for weighing in your thoughts. They are all well recieved and appreciated.

I am enjoying this new experience but I just admit it’s beeb hampered by some fears. I am a recovering addict and see the benefits that kava can have on my overall happiness but I am drug tested monthly. After all the research I’ve done I’m still very nervous when I use Kava. I have abstained from all drugs and alcohol for 7 years. I am however in a methadone program where I am tested at random once a month. I know they send my urine to a lab and I have been an outstanding patient, but I still get nervous. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Much thanks,
There's really nothing to show in a drug test with kava. Kava is legal, so keep telling yourself this. It's the state plant of Hawaii. Buy from reputable vendors. There's a list here on the forums.