What's new

Nakamals must have crash pads

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
They’re so numerous and localized that you’re always within walking distance to where you sleep. Also, a lot of people just stay at the nakamal for a couple shells in the late afternoon, maybe chat a little...and then take a ‘plastik’ home for the full krunkness.

I didn’t spend enough time there to see, but I bet it’s not entirely uncommon to see people passed out at nakamals though too, it’s probably just a normal accepted part of the culture being that everyone else around would completely relate.
::KavaChug::::vflag:::dead:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
At a rural nakamal, your own bed is usually a short stumble away.

Kava bars in towns often have benches or clean spots where you can lay down. The same principle applies, you kam wan tanka kolosap lo haos blo yu. Taem yu stap longwe, yu yu save yusum plastik blo pem taxi ;)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
There are traditional nakamal houses in Pentecost that are longhouses where a visitor can drink kava, have a meal prepared from a ground oven, and pass out on a bamboo bunk bed spaced along the sides of the building. These are usually along walking routes between east & west, central & south etc. I syaed in one once in Lihuik above Melsisi.
Nakamals in town & villages aren't generally for sleeping though - like the other guys said, its easy to get home. Either you go to one spitting distance from where you stay, or take one of the numerous public transports home (communal bus in vila, cheap taxi in santo).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
@nabanga, is the "End Blo Koltar" nakamal still on the south coast road on Santo? Some pis kop told me that place was worth crashing at for the night.
Yes its still there (St Michel) and very popular on a friday, quiet other nights. There is often a noisy aussie tour group though. It is set up right on the waterfront and has a great spread of food, but kava is hit and miss - I usually had to stop somewhere else on the way back to reach satisfaction..
Nice to watch the morays and snapper coming in to the seawall whilst throwing back a 150 though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk