What's new

Medicinal Usage Kava, mortality and death metal

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Kava must have Some Potent Protective Effects Then
I don't know but chugging a bunch sure works for inflating one's bladder. I'm going to be cutting back, but not quitting, kava, because one of my chemo chems is hepatotoxic, or can be, so at least for the duration of the radiation I want to give my liver a break to focus on that. I'm going to aim to cut down to a litre a day. Won't be easy, but I'll be ok. No hot showers for two months is a lot worse. I just took a cold shower in a building that was 58F.

nashfire

Stay Rooted
I don't know but chugging a bunch sure works for inflating one's bladder. I'm going to be cutting back, but not quitting, kava, because one of my chemo chems is hepatotoxic, or can be, so at least for the duration of the radiation I want to give my liver a break to focus on that. I'm going to aim to cut down to a litre a day. Won't be easy, but I'll be ok. No hot showers for two months is a lot worse. I just took a cold shower in a building that was 58F.
Oh man, cold showers....! Ya know elephants do dust baths...nah.. cold dust would suck too. Glad you can still grab a litre anyway! Good luck and quick recovery!::happyshell::::kavaleaf::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Today

6:30am get up and do chemo
7:30 some more chemo, then walk with son to his school
8:30 tennis for 90 min, full tilt
10:45 radiation
12 stop en route and buy a new anatomy textbook worth at least $200 for a buck
1 pm find out at the house that the furnace stopped (needed a motherboard replaced) with the coldest weekend of the year coming up, -10F on Sunday. Arrange repair
2 pm go to work at job
8:30 come home to find Papa Kea and house warm and toasty, the key right where the repairman said it would be

All in all a good day. This Papa Kea is frickin awesome.

SmokedOut

Kava Curious
First of 39 radiation sessions in a few minutes. They told me “full bladder” so I made a big jar of mahakea. I’m full all right.

Been on chemo for a month and a half, all good effects, no bad ones, so this looks promising. As long as my liver panels hold up I will stay the course with kava. In fact, I need to avoid stress, as that can mess up one of my drugs and get very risky. So calm it is.
May God bless you. I hope your chemotherapy helps you and you fully recover from your cancer. Good thing you do have kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Today

1 pm find out at the house that the furnace stopped (needed a motherboard replaced) with the coldest weekend of the year coming up, -10F on Sunday. Arrange repair
2 pm go to work at job
8:30 come home to find Papa Kea and house warm and toasty, the key right where the repairman said it would be

You had me at "get up". Keep on truckin.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Unfortunately as of today I seem to have lost all desire to drink kava. It actually hit last night after a few shells of Papa Kea, which is super excellent root, so I know that's not that. I assume this must be from the chemo, but it could be the radiation. The chemo I'm on is not supposed to cause nausea. Having not had any side effects from anything till now some are starting to show up (fatigue, short term memory loss, slight headaches that only last a few minutes, short term memory loss, nausea, short term mempory loss, and something else I can't remember right now). Oh yeah, hot flashes and short term memory loss. None of it is bad enough to reach the level of being worth complaining about, seriously, the only thing that is causing me any suffering right now is lack of desire to drink any kava. But that might even be something kava decided for some reason. But it is weird not feeling the desire to drink kava after drinking it every day for over two years. I LOOOOOVE kava. It's like I've developed kava impotence. It still feels good and tastes great, I just have no desire to drink any. Weird.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Bula maximus to Judd Rench and BKH and Polynesian Gold 70% CO2 extract. I hope no one else ever feels the great need but complete lack of desire for grog I just went through. I can take the extract just fine. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you and Bula!

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sorry, that was short term memory loss, again. Did I mention I have short term memory loss now? No, I don't think I did. Well, I do. Of course, the Polynesian Gold is from RoH and Tyler. The HOV (Honey Orange Vanilla) that I also consumed last night is from BKH. So amend that to "God Bless Judd and Tyler." There, I fixed it, whatever it was.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Today

2 pm go to work at job

I'm not sure whether to drink Kava or not. On Jan 16th I had some kind of a seizure ( The Hospital called it a TIA ) and I have been struggling to regain my normal balance and orientation. I have lost my sense of taste, so everything tastes like nothing. My sense of smell has pretty much gone too. The left side of my face is partially paralyzed and I have a pain in the right side of my head. I have very little strength in my jaw muscles. I'm taking baby aspirin to make sure it doesn't happen again, and sleeping a lot. Would Kava be good for me or Bad ?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm not sure whether to drink Kava or not. On Jan 16th I had some kind of a seizure ( The Hospital called it a TIA ) and I have been struggling to regain my normal balance and orientation. I have lost my sense of taste, so everything tastes like nothing. My sense of smell has pretty much gone too. The left side of my face is partially paralyzed and I have a pain in the right side of my head. I have very little strength in my jaw muscles. I'm taking baby aspirin to make sure it doesn't happen again, and sleeping a lot. Would Kava be good for me or Bad ?
I am not a doctor, but absent a real doctor's go ahead I would hold off until she gave the OK. It is probably not going to make you give up kava forever, but I would hold off until you get the green light.

TIA's can be bad in the aggregate but if you've only had one it can be a blessed fair warning. First thing I'd do is get a complete lipid profile done, assuming you aren't a chainsmoking alcoholic. Then check blood pressure. It's like so many things, though, absent a direct cause like a disease or Korsakoff's or whatever, the prescription for prevention is to live like Adam Ant, dont' drink don't smoke, what do ya do, dress up like a pirate and dance around, or just any forms of exercise but lots of it. One good thing about a TIA is that the effects are not permanent, so whatever symptoms you have now should go away, as long as that Dx was accurate. But you want to have as few as possible. And any time it happens it is a medical emergency and it can be quite bad. But as I say, it's a heads up, so you can start to do everything needed to prevent a full on stroke. Oh, and if you already speak at least 2 languages, learn another one,a nd when you learn that, learn another one. It trains the brain in neuroplasticity so if you do have a stroke, you are then more able to have adjacent parts of the brain take over the functions of the injured part. It can't prevent brain injury but it can help your brain to proactively adapt so that any brain injury is less of a problem, at least for cognition and speech.

I'm not sure the aspirin is a good idea, I would get the go ahead from the docs for that or at least a good RN. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying I don't know.

Anyway, if it were me I would not worry overly, but still, get the best docs you can as soon as you can and get it sorted so you can get back to kava. I hope this all goes well for you. But the very best thing would be to get the very best of medical care so it won't be a problem going forward. You don't want many more of them, if you can avoid it. It's not always a bad thing but it is virtually never a good thing.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I am not a doctor, but absent a real doctor's go ahead I would hold off until she gave the OK. It is probably not going to make you give up kava forever, but I would hold off until you get the green light.

TIA's can be bad in the aggregate but if you've only had one it can be a blessed fair warning. First thing I'd do is get a complete lipid profile done, assuming you aren't a chainsmoking alcoholic. Then check blood pressure. It's like so many things, though, absent a direct cause like a disease or Korsakoff's or whatever, the prescription for prevention is to live like Adam Ant, dont' drink don't smoke, what do ya do, dress up like a pirate and dance around, or just any forms of exercise but lots of it. One good thing about a TIA is that the effects are not permanent, so whatever symptoms you have now should go away, as long as that Dx was accurate. But you want to have as few as possible. And any time it happens it is a medical emergency and it can be quite bad. But as I say, it's a heads up, so you can start to do everything needed to prevent a full on stroke. Oh, and if you already speak at least 2 languages, learn another one,a nd when you learn that, learn another one. It trains the brain in neuroplasticity so if you do have a stroke, you are then more able to have adjacent parts of the brain take over the functions of the injured part. It can't prevent brain injury but it can help your brain to proactively adapt so that any brain injury is less of a problem, at least for cognition and speech.

I'm not sure the aspirin is a good idea, I would get the go ahead from the docs for that or at least a good RN. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying I don't know.

Anyway, if it were me I would not worry overly, but still, get the best docs you can as soon as you can and get it sorted so you can get back to kava. I hope this all goes well for you. But the very best thing would be to get the very best of medical care so it won't be a problem going forward. You don't want many more of them, if you can avoid it. It's not always a bad thing but it is virtually never a good thing.
Yes I went to the emergency room at the hospital and after keeping us waiting for 13 hours they did a number of tests, Blood Pressure, Temperature, ECG, Blood Test, CT Scan, Urine etc and sent us home with nothing more than a medication for dizziness. The friend in England suggested Aspirin, another doctor conformed that yesterday that Aspirin would help prevent more seizures/strokes/TIA's. I still don't have any other medication, but i'm hoping to see a Neurologist. In the meantime I am doing lots of resting.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yes I went to the emergency room at the hospital and after keeping us waiting for 13 hours they did a number of tests, Blood Pressure, Temperature, ECG, Blood Test, CT Scan, Urine etc and sent us home with nothing more than a medication for dizziness. The friend in England suggested Aspirin, another doctor conformed that yesterday that Aspirin would help prevent more seizures/strokes/TIA's. I still don't have any other medication, but i'm hoping to see a Neurologist. In the meantime I am doing lots of resting.
I must apologize then for being completely unhelpful and wasting your time. I am very glad you are doing all you can.

fwiw the Mayo Clinic makes no mention of using aspirin of any kind or any salicylate to prevent TIA, but they do have a fairly long list of other things that might help. My understanding is that preventing a recurrence is now going to require at least some changes that have to last the rest of your life. What I do in such cases is pick the easy ones and nail those hard enough and loud enough none in my family can blame me for not doing enough.

Prevention
Knowing your risk factors and living healthfully are the best things you can do to prevent a TIA. Included in a healthy lifestyle are regular medical checkups. Also:

• Don't smoke. Stopping smoking reduces your risk of a TIA or a stroke.
  • Limit cholesterol and fat. Cutting back on cholesterol and fat, especially saturated fat and trans fat, in your diet may reduce buildup of plaques in your arteries.
  • Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. These foods contain nutrients such as potassium, folate and antioxidants, which may protect against a TIA or a stroke.
  • Limit sodium. If you have high blood pressure, avoiding salty foods and not adding salt to food may reduce your blood pressure. Avoiding salt may not prevent hypertension, but excess sodium may increase blood pressure in people who are sensitive to sodium.
  • Exercise regularly. If you have high blood pressure, regular exercise is one of the few ways you can lower your blood pressure without drugs.
  • Limit alcohol intake. Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. The recommended limit is no more than one drink daily for women and two a day for men.
  • Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight contributes to other risk factors, such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Losing weight with diet and exercise may lower your blood pressure and improve your cholesterol levels.
  • Don't use illicit drugs. Drugs such as cocaine are associated with an increased risk of a TIA or a stroke.
  • Control diabetes. You can manage diabetes and high blood pressure with diet, exercise, weight control and, when necessary, medication.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...-ischemic-attack/symptoms-causes/syc-20355679

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I must apologize then for being completely unhelpful and wasting your time. I am very glad you are doing all you can.

fwiw the Mayo Clinic makes no mention of using aspirin of any kind or any salicylate to prevent TIA, but they do have a fairly long list of other things that might help. My understanding is that preventing a recurrence is now going to require at least some changes that have to last the rest of your life. What I do in such cases is pick the easy ones and nail those hard enough and loud enough none in my family can blame me for not doing enough.

Prevention
Knowing your risk factors and living healthfully are the best things you can do to prevent a TIA. Included in a healthy lifestyle are regular medical checkups. Also:

• Limit cholesterol and fat. Cutting back on cholesterol and fat, especially saturated fat and trans fat, in your diet may reduce buildup of plaques in your arteries.
  • Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. These foods contain nutrients such as potassium, folate and antioxidants, which may protect against a TIA or a stroke.
  • Limit sodium. If you have high blood pressure, avoiding salty foods and not adding salt to food may reduce your blood pressure. Avoiding salt may not prevent hypertension, but excess sodium may increase blood pressure in people who are sensitive to sodium.
  • Exercise regularly. If you have high blood pressure, regular exercise is one of the few ways you can lower your blood pressure without drugs.
  • Limit alcohol intake. Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. The recommended limit is no more than one drink daily for women and two a day for men.
  • Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight contributes to other risk factors, such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Losing weight with diet and exercise may lower your blood pressure and improve your cholesterol levels.
  • Don't use illicit drugs. Drugs such as cocaine are associated with an increased risk of a TIA or a stroke.
  • Control diabetes. You can manage diabetes and high blood pressure with diet, exercise, weight control and, when necessary, medication.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...-ischemic-attack/symptoms-causes/syc-20355679
I now have a Naturopathic doctor and am taking a range of natural medications to prevent further TIA's or a stroke.
These include Nattokinase, Mucor San 4X, Vitamin E, NiaVasc (Niacin), Red Rice Yeast, CoQmax, and CinnDromeX ( to reduce blood sugar )
No more TIA's so far but my sense of taste still has not returned fully and I still have some head pain.

AZcat

Kava Drinker

Prevention

I have never smoked ( Tobacco ) but only weed occasionally, rarely drink alcohol, and my only problem with cocaine is I could never find anywhere to buy it !
I try to do some exercise, but that's one area that's difficult for me, because I'd much rather sit in front of a computer.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have never smoked ( Tobacco ) but only weed occasionally, rarely drink alcohol, and my only problem with cocaine is I could never find anywhere to buy it !
I try to do some exercise, but that's one area that's difficult for me, because I'd much rather sit in front of a computer.
And if you vaporize (not vaping, but rather, using a dry herb vaporizer, which merely warms up the herb matter until the fumes released can be lightly inhaled), you can avoid the risks from smoking it. And then after vaporizing it, you can use the weed makas or AVB (already vaped bud) and mill it for making brownies, so there is no waste. I do this with cbd hemp flower, which has very very low THC, so low it's legal, as it has no psychoactive properties,though it is very relaxing, especially with a very high CBD strain.