What's new

I Love Kava Friday And just like that it was...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
FRIDAY. We did it. Kava lovers we made it to the weekend. Enjoy the rest of your day and the beginning of your weekend. I think I'll be staying in this weekend on account of the new Southeast Monsoon season.

Bula!
Sounds like a plan for me too, I have a delivery coming in just in time for the weekend.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I got my new olive oil in! I can't wait to use it on bread and lettuce. I still need to find myself a bitchin' balsamic vinegar to go with it...I bought a cheap balsamic vinegar to tide me over since my research on the subject hasn't been very in-depth.

Perhaps some instant kava will help jog the brain!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I got my new olive oil in! I can't wait to use it on bread and lettuce. I still need to find myself a bitchin' balsamic vinegar to go with it...I bought a cheap balsamic vinegar to tide me over since my research on the subject hasn't been very in-depth.

Perhaps some instant kava will help jog the brain!
Ohhh boy. I have a real weakness, and that's balsamic vinegar. I'll catch myself thinking that $200 bottle is worth it, but I always hold off.

https://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodview_prod.aspx?prod=1784

Which olive oil did you buy? I'm a sucker for olive oils too :)

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Ohhh boy. I have a real weakness, and that's balsamic vinegar. I'll catch myself thinking that $200 bottle is worth it, but I always hold off.

https://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodview_prod.aspx?prod=1784

Which olive oil did you buy? I'm a sucker for olive oils too :)
I bought a bottle of Chiavalon. It's a Croatian olive oil. I hear the "little secret" these days that Croatia makes really good olive oils that have been judged more highly than the mainstays of Italy and Greece the past few years. Sadly, their lack of volume compared to Italy and Greece makes them a bit hard to find, at least over in the States. I saw a few e-tailers that sell Croatian olive oil just to find out they don't ship over here.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I bought a bottle of Chiavalon. It's a Croatian olive oil. I hear the "little secret" these days that Croatia makes really good olive oils that have been judged more highly than the mainstays of Italy and Greece the past few years. Sadly, their lack of volume compared to Italy and Greece makes them a bit hard to find, at least over in the States. I saw a few e-tailers that sell Croatian olive oil just to find out they don't ship over here.
Nice. Just added to the cart. Amazon truly is one of the wonders of the world on the consumer side (maybe not so much for worker's side but that's another story).

We just moved, and I haven't brought out the bread maker in a while. I think it's time for a loaf. Fresh bread with olive oil, herbs and balsamic vinegar as dips. I could eat that as a meal on the regular.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Fresh bread with olive oil, herbs and balsamic vinegar as dips. I could eat that as a meal on the regular.
I haven't been to an Italian place lately to do this sort of thing. Buying an Italian loaf at the grocery store isn't quite the same. How easy is it to make a crusty-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside loaf with a bread maker?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I haven't been to an Italian place lately to do this sort of thing. Buying an Italian loaf at the grocery store isn't quite the same. How easy is it to make a crusty-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside loaf with a bread maker?
Quite honestly, very easy. I'm not one that people would call a cook. I just follow the instructions on french, and it comes out perfect for dipping. Most bread makers allow you to select the crust color. You select dark and you get a nice thick crispy crust with a super moist soft interior. It's an actual crime to not eat them fresh out of the maker while still hot.

Here's the literal instructions for french bread in the Oster CKSTBRTW20

Ingredients:
1 and 3/8 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1.) Measure and add liquid ingredients to the bread pan.
2.) Measure and add dry ingredients (except yeast) to the bread pan.
3.) Use your finger to form a well (hole) in the flour where you will pour the yeast. Yeast must NEVER come into contact with a liquid when you are adding ingredients. Measure the yeast and carefully pour it into the well.
4.) Snap the baking pan into the bread maker and close the lid.
5.) Press the “Menu Select” button to choose the French setting.
6.) Press the “Loaf Size” button to choose 1 lb., 1.5 lb., or 2 lb.
7.) Press the “Crust Color” button to choose light, medium, dark or rapid crust.
8.) Press the “Start/Stop” button.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I'm a sucker for texas-sliced toast and there's one place in town that carries it. So if they don't have any, I don't get my texas toast. I've considered a bread maker so I could simply slice it thick-cut myself. I could probably check a bakery to see if I can get unsliced bread to slice it myself. Slicing bread by hand isn't that hard as long as you don't apply pressure and smush the poor loaf! Well, going by my experience slicing a brioche loaf I just bought...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm a sucker for texas-sliced toast and there's one place in town that carries it. So if they don't have any, I don't get my texas toast. I've considered a bread maker so I could simply slice it thick-cut myself. I could probably check a bakery to see if I can get unsliced bread to slice it myself. Slicing bread by hand isn't that hard as long as you don't apply pressure and smush the poor loaf! Well, going by my experience slicing a brioche loaf I just bought...
Automatic bread slicer all the way. I fought my way with kitchen knifes, and even a super sharp ceramic bread knife, but the auto slicer is king. You can carve up a loaf in seconds :)

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Automatic bread slicer all the way. I fought my way with kitchen knifes, and even a super sharp ceramic bread knife, but the auto slicer is king. You can carve up a loaf in seconds :)
Is this a separate appliance? I didn't know they made those.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
My weekend had an early start unexpectedly, lost my shift long story short but I could take it and maybe it was a blessing in disguise so I can finally have a happy kava friday.

Is this a separate appliance? I didn't know they made those.
Apparently auto slicers are still a thing, I barely see them used but where I work you can still buy them. I guess if you can't afford a really good knife and have a lot of really thick things to cut through then it's useful. With my crappy knives I really need to fight with heads of cabbage sometimes but I still get it done anyways.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
My week was a tad crazy, but I did get to do some fun things at work and finished off my squanch. Have a GHK order in now for variety.
I wanted to share some work pics of what I've done, but alas, my phone is not cooperating in transferring them. Got to use a ditch witch and start learning how to heat up and bend schedule 90 4" electrical conduit. Big plastic pipes for electrical wires basically. You have to be careful not to burn them, or they won't pass inspection and also bend at the correct angle. The pvc bending seems more like an art than a science. It's super interesting! Got snowed out today.

I've noticed that since starting a physically demanding job, I'm more sensitive to the heady effects of kava during weeknights and it's more likely to cause insomnia. It's an interesting change. I have to drink less during the week but love to go balls to the wall on the weekend when possible. :D

ThePiper

Kava Lover
And just like that the weekend was gone! :cry:

At least i have an order of Nene and Ikaika coming this week. This will be my third pound ordered in a month or so. I still have like 9/10ths of a pound but this batch is good enough to go ahead and get more. Highly recommend it, stronger than usual and a nice anytime kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just got my bottle in. Looks like it's time to bake some bread :)