What's new

Strain Variety

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I'm curious if their is a large strain variety on places like Tonga, Vanatua, etc versus what actually gets exported. I saw some strange looking kava in a video on one of the islands thy were prepping and it just got me thinking.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
In Vanuatu, yes, way more strains exist than we typically see. Most of them aren't commonly consumed as daily favorites, they have lot's of less frequently consumed cultivars which they use for specific reasons and certain times according to their local customs. Each island has a handful of favorites and we end up seeing a few of those favorites commonly available on the international market.

Most of the other islands have somewhere between 6-15 known cultivars each, of which we normally only get to see 2 to 5 of.

We have almost all of the known Hawaiian cultivars because a few decades ago, a small group of local enthusiasts decided to hunt down and preserve the ancient plants.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
That's a lot of kava! It's hard to come across kava I haven't felt something similar to now though under the umbrella of what we do have, can only do so much. My dreams about trying everything one day are crushed but I'm more concerned with the quantity left of those we do have from online vendors getting lower. Why does it have to grow so slow? Of all plants.