What's new

Toss and wash opinions or experiences?

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I pretty much toss and wash all my kava nowadays, it's easier, more effective, and based on my own experimentation, make no difference for me dermopathy wise. I'm fairly certain that it's the kavalactones themselves that are responsible for dermopathy anyways.

Have any of you tried it both ways and noticed a big difference between traditional prep and toss and wash that made you avoid it?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

WaitingForGrogot

Kava Curious
It seemed to make dermopathy worse for me, plus heighten some of the negative effects like headaches, dehydration and feeling a little harsh on the stomach. I'd be interested in giving it another go though because I hate the idea of any wasted kava through the straining method!

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I don't mind toss n wash for light effects, using a heavy kava. Heady kavas don't seem to absorb the same way when you don't prepare grog. The slower-acting KL's in heavy kava don't have trouble seeping into your system more slowly as the powder digests.

But when it comes to heady kavas, or strong sessions, I always prefer to make traditional grog.

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
When I first started using kava, I did toss n' wash and it worked fine.

interestingly enough, nowadays if I try it it is much worse on my stomach. One of my theories is that when I first started usi g kava, I was addicted to opioids and used massive amounts of K@ on a day to day basis. I noticed whenever I started or stopped K@, my body would have to readjust to it. At the risk of tmi, at first a lot of K@ would make it through undigested, but over time that problem would cease, and I wouldn't have stomach pain (Even taking up to 75-100 grams per day). I think gastrointestinal bacteria might actually play a role in breaking down the indigestible fibers, so it's possible if you toss n' washed kava regularly you gut microbiota would adapt and you'd have less stomach issues.

The other reason I don't tnw these days is because it seems to change the effect profile. I get more anxiety if I either tnw OR use not water to break down the kava cell walls. Traditional prep with cold water gives more relaxing effects. I have a their that different water solubilities of the active compounds play a role here, with anxiety-causing kavalactones being less soluble in water. Since you're getting all the compounds if you eat the entire root, you get a more thorough effect profile, which unfortunately is not as desirable for me.

Palmetto

Thank God!
If you get a negative effect from high release preps, then use it with heady cultivars, so it will result in a more balanced result. Sonication would likely release quite a few KLs as well, however you would need a hydrophobic or amphipathic environment to sponge up the KLs for your body's absorption.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It seemed to make dermopathy worse for me, plus heighten some of the negative effects like headaches, dehydration and feeling a little harsh on the stomach. I'd be interested in giving it another go though because I hate the idea of any wasted kava through the straining method!
Waste is a relative term. There will always be waste. I’m not convinced that a single pass through the gastrointestinal tract is more efficient at extracting kavalactones and making them bioavailable than 6 to 8 successive water-based extractions. It is certainly a lot less work. There’s cost benefit ratios to every approach and I think the best choice is to find a cost-benefit ratio that most closely matches our conception of ourselves. I think we should be true to ourselves in the way we drink kava. Naturally, just as there are variations between individuals, there will be considerable variations in our kava prep.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I have never toss n washed but have had a recurring nightmare about being served some and I get ill then wake up haha. It will remain a pass for me.

KavaCat

Meow.
I've tried a few times, but it's been SO hard to get down. I have had kava several times that I just put through a fine mesh strainer real quick. That's never given me dermo or anything. But the BIG root flakes, I just can't take that. They make me gag. You would think someone who can put back a quart of kava wouldn't have such a sensitive gag reflex, but nope. Just can't swallow with that weird texture/ bitter taste combined.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I much prefer kava as it is meant to be drunk - made with water. No tossnwash, candies, fruit mixes, cocktails or other gimmicks.
Tossnwash reminds me of the Mr Bean sketch where he has his morning coffee - swallows instant powder then drinks from the kettle.
I get that it maximises effects as prices get ever higher, but it'll never beat a well prepared strong shell.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk