What's new

Kava makes me vomit

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pinto

Hi guys, a question for any of you: do you ever get a kind of sludgy/mucusy feeling in the back of your throat after drinking kava? I have been getting this quite frequently and am just wondering what I can do about it. I'm using an Alu to strain, but it just feels like it is creeping down the back of my throat and then I vomit.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I haven’t had the experience that you describe but it doesn’t sound like something you can do much about especially since the aluball does such a good job of straining kava. If something makes me vomit that’s a pretty good indication that my body is telling me not to consume it.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Hi guys, a question for any of you: do you ever get a kind of sludgy/mucusy feeling in the back of your throat after drinking kava? I have been getting this quite frequently and am just wondering what I can do about it. I'm using an Alu to strain, but it just feels like it is creeping down the back of my throat and then I vomit.
When I initially started drinking Kava I had a problem holding it down. Never actually puked though. My issues were mostly due to the taste more than anything which went away with time. I now like the taste of most kavas. As far as the throat thing I don’t know that I can relate to that. Have you tried a variety of types?

If you think taste may be the issue or part of than Tongan and Hawaiian kavas generally taste pretty good. Fijian kavas generally taste fine but some may be a bit strong as well as far as taste. Vanuatu kavas are generally regarded as the worst tasting but they are my favorite as far as effects goes. All that being said there is a variety within all regions kavas as far as taste goes, just a general rule of thumb imo.

2104dawn

Earthling, kava fan, sleep ninja
Do you get the same sensation (slimy mucus feel) when you've not taken kava but have felt like you're gonna puke? If so it might be just the taste of the kava that's affecting you. Maybe intersperse slugging back your kava with the odd shot of something to de-slime (I'm sure I could put that more delicately if I thought about it...) your palate/throat, such as orange juice? Or - suck on a ginger sweet whilst you're imbibing. Might work.
Good luck anyway and don't let your experience to date out you off - the solution will be out there somewhere!

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
I've had a similar experience, I've felt a strange sour hard thing creeping up my throat because of an acid reflux... Was definitely not pleasant.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Do you get the same sensation (slimy mucus feel) when you've not taken kava but have felt like you're gonna puke? If so it might be just the taste of the kava that's affecting you. Maybe intersperse slugging back your kava with the odd shot of something to de-slime (I'm sure I could put that more delicately if I thought about it...) your palate/throat, such as orange juice? Or - suck on a ginger sweet whilst you're imbibing. Might work.
Good luck anyway and don't let your experience to date out you off - the solution will be out there somewhere!
For me it was the anticipation of the taste, and it absolutely did what the OP is describing. Once I somehow made peace with that...flavor...I didn't have the problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.