What's new

Reverse Tolerance?

Mac745

I have been drinking Kava for almost 4 months and have found that I am one that needs a lot of grog to feel anything. And it's only ever a physical relaxing 'cloud' like feeling, I've never felt the mental relaxation or stress relief everyone else talks about. I've tried several types from various vendors, some are better than others. When I started drinking kava I would take 2 tbs to a cup of water daily and felt absolutely nothing for weeks on end. I started upping the amount and I'm now at 12 tbs of kava to about 6 cups of water which is the only amount that gets me close to feeling anything; I follow this with a second wash. I only drink on the weekends, as I can't afford to during the week, but sometimes it feels like I'm starting over every time. I've been skeptical of reverse tolerance from the start but I'm reconsidering only drinking on the weekends.

My question is: should I start drinking lower amounts daily and see if I 'break through' reverse tolerance or should I continue large doses on weekend? I really want to get the stress reducing effects more than the body effects.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Your doses are actually on the high end; most people that drink the strength of grog have been drinking kava grog for many years as a daily habit. Reverse tolerance can vary per person but I haven't heard of it being this extreme. How are you preparing your grog?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
On paper, blending is a great way to extract kavalactones. I have never done this myself but I get decent effects from kava made the traditional kneading method, which is less agitation than blending. I also often do an Aluball shaking over traditional prep, which also works for me.

@Krunkie McKrunkface has done a lot of kava preparation in a variety of ways. He may be more help than I.

Mac745

I do have an Aluball that I use occasionally, but haven't noticed a difference either way.
Thanks for your help!