What's new

Looking for general dose "how much you drink regular long-term"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnwizard

Hi there, kava and I are old friends, but I'm evaluating taking the relationship to the next level, and looking for general guideline on long-term daily dosage as I cope with a particularly rough patch of anxiety/depression where western pharma (so far) hasn't cut it.... I got a bucket o' woes and the last thing I need in my life right now is to go full tortoise :p

Roughly what dosage ranges are people using for months/years without large bodily effects? I've been using about a pound of mahakea per month (dried, from a local hawaiian source, I live on the big island).... I think about 3 tablespoons per day? Is that like, "oh man, you gonna get it", "right on the edge", "no problem, drink more if it'd be nice!", .... ?

I know this'll vary by kavalactone content, person, etc, but looking for a general sense of what daily drinkers without effects are managing (and what amounts do produce negative body effects would be interesting too).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi there, kava and I are old friends, but I'm evaluating taking the relationship to the next level, and looking for general guideline on long-term daily dosage as I cope with a particularly rough patch of anxiety/depression where western pharma (so far) hasn't cut it.... I got a bucket o' woes and the last thing I need in my life right now is to go full tortoise :p

Roughly what dosage ranges are people using for months/years without large bodily effects? I've been using about a pound of mahakea per month (dried, from a local hawaiian source, I live on the big island).... I think about 3 tablespoons per day? Is that like, "oh man, you gonna get it", "right on the edge", "no problem, drink more if it'd be nice!", .... ?

I know this'll vary by kavalactone content, person, etc, but looking for a general sense of what daily drinkers without effects are managing (and what amounts do produce negative body effects would be interesting too).
3TBS/day is a very safe and low level amount. Should be just fine for you purposes. If you want to stick to a pound a month it would be more like 2.5 TBS

FWIW I drink 8TBS/ day and a pound lasts me 9 days. I drink a lot of kava

Palmetto

Thank God!
I drink 2 lbs / month, but I'm pretty sure I ingest 4 times the lactones as most drinkers per weight, due to drinking high KL powder and high extraction ( multiple washes, etc.). The key is to limit heavier kava consumption. I ain't dead yet.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

On the low end 4TBS/day on the high end 10TBS/day....with most days fitting right in the middle of 6-8 depending on all the factors you mention above. However I tend to not drink during the day and take my first drink in the evening.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I have averaged about 3lbs/month over the last 20 years, and was on higher doses of fresh before that, and have no health issues. I get my liver checked every couple of years.
I reckon as long as you seive well, buy quality, and don't get too dried out you can go on forever.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Palmetto

Thank God!
@nabanga I am still trying to figure out how important sieving is to reduce flavokavains or other undesirable compounds. Other than the stomach discomfort, is there a proven detriment to getting all of the root, other than makas and bark? Isn't micronized just a more palatable form of toss and wash with makas and bark removed? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can fill me in. I'm buying a sonicator in the next couple months for other purposes, and thought I could throw some kava in there for really high extraction of kavalactones, albeit everything else as well.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
If you’re a hard head, it will take a lot. If you a softy like me, then only about a good tablespoon for basic chill factor. Upto 3 of a heady variety for a small krunk session. 5 if you want to hear the Kava song!

Heavy Kavas I don’t use much anymore. Couch locking is fine when you got the time.

Palmetto

Thank God!
If you’re a hard head, it will take a lot. If you a softy like me, then only about a good tablespoon for basic chill factor. Upto 3 of a heady variety for a small krunk session. 5 if you want to hear the Kava song!

Heavy Kavas I don’t use much anymore. Couch locking is fine when you got the time.
@avahZ you are so lucky. It sucks requiring to get full effects. But I usually only go for a mild chill, because I drink it several hours a day.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
@avahZ you are so lucky. It sucks requiring to get full effects. But I usually only go for a mild chill, because I drink it several hours a day.
I will not argue that. However, luck has a price. The taste of Kava is almost too much for me to bare. I have all kinds of voodoo mixtures to limit it’s taste. The best one was a smooth blend from the now defunct Paradise Kava.

KJ/P1X

Game Developer at P1X
I'm making 3-4 tbs ava and then drink it with my SO. It often stays for a next day (like 1/3).

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
@nabanga I am still trying to figure out how important sieving is to reduce flavokavains or other undesirable compounds. Other than the stomach discomfort, is there a proven detriment to getting all of the root, other than makas and bark? Isn't micronized just a more palatable form of toss and wash with makas and bark removed? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can fill me in. I'm buying a sonicator in the next couple months for other purposes, and thought I could throw some kava in there for really high extraction of kavalactones, albeit everything else as well.
The seiving is important just to remove most of the fine sediment, I dont know anything about removing flavokavains(but i guess they are in the fine sediment that gets removed?). As a long term nightly session drinker, i find if i dont take the time to seive well, I get seriously dried up and red-eyed quickly. With a good fine seive, it rarely happens. So its more of a comfort thing than a serious health risk.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I will not argue that. However, luck has a price. The taste of Kava is almost too much for me to bare. I have all kinds of voodoo mixtures to limit it’s taste. The best one was a smooth blend from the now defunct Paradise Kava.
I'm still curious what percentage of people like the taste of kava. It was weird for me, I hated it for 8 months then almost overnight I began to love it. I even drink it at the table with meals as a beverage.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I'm still curious what percentage of people like the taste of kava. It was weird for me, I hated it for 8 months then almost overnight I began to love it. I even drink it at the table with meals as a beverage.
I would bet it has something to do the OR6A2 gene mutation. This is the gene that makes cilantro taste either good or like soap. Cilantro taste like soap to me...

Palmetto

Thank God!
Cilantro tastes like soap, but also good to me.

As far as the taste of kava, I don't like it cold. I don't usually add anything to it, regardless of the variety. That being said, I only drink Vanuatu / Solomon type varieities less than 25% of the time. My only hesitation is when the sediment starts to rumble my belly to the point of regurgitation. Any kava tastes better than vomit.

Status
Not open for further replies.