What's new

Heady strain w/out nausea?

Hello. Im fairly new to Kava and am looking for a daytime/heady strain. I researched, and it seemed Moi was a popular choice so I got some, while its fantastic effect wise (though maybe a bit more sedating than i expected), it is giving me quite a bit of stomach upset. Is there another potent heady strain that is easier on the stomach ? Thank you in advance.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
One of the primary causes of kava grog causing stomach upset is that you ingested solid root matter. The bark on the roots is a particular culprit to this problem as some vendors may not spend as much time as others peeling the roots before drying. But generally speaking, root solids aren't very digestible. You may want a smaller micron strainer if you're using medium-grind kava. Aim for 100 microns or smaller. If you make your grog properly with a 100 micron bag and you still get stomach upset, consider buying a smaller micron bag. Check your bag as well, as there may be a hole in it which may be how solid root matter is getting into your grog. No two strainer bags are exactly alike. As kava is meant to be kneaded, you'll want a strainer bag that can handle a bit of punishment from squeezing, grasping, and general rough-housing. You may be lucky and find a cheaper strainer bag that fits the bill or you may be hurting yourself by spending less on a strainer bag specifically for kava. Check reviews both here and on online retailers that may sell strainer bags.

If you're drinking micronized, micronized is known to cause stomach upset in higher quantities, particularly if the roots weren't thoroughly peeled before they micronize it.

I don't know your specific product and prep, so I can only guess at what problems you may be having.

Switching to a different kava cultivar may not solve your problems, especially if you're buying from the same vendor where they may give equal treatment to other roots they process. It may not even be the vendors' fault but rather the distributor. Check reviews of particular products and see if nausea is a common complaint. Make sure you're not using a faulty strainer bag if you're doing medium-grind kava. If you're drinking micronized, try spacing out cups of it rather than drinking a big cup at all at once to see if nausea issues alleviate before you conclude that a vendor may not peel its roots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply ! Im using a fresh 80 micron bag with medium grind, vendor is GHK, I didnt get any nausea from their Nene, only a tad from Mahakea, but the Moi was pretty rough for me, maybe I just need to get used to it though. Just wondering if someone who got nausea from Moi finds a different heady strain more tolerable. I tried Moi again today and spread it out more and it wasnt as bad but still noticable.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I didnt get any nausea from their Nene, only a tad from Mahakea, but the Moi was pretty rough for me
This is a new phenomenon to me. I don't get nauseated from any of GHK's products, but I have not tried everything, including M'oi. Nene and Mahakea are very refreshing, but I've only had the instant varieties of those. Check the review forum and see if anyone else has reviewed the recent batches of GHK M'oi: http://kavaforums.com/forum/forums/gourmet-hawaiian-kava-product-reviews.71/

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Yes I peel my kava. It ensures quality and it also gives the kava a milder taste. Processing the kava can affect the flavor and even the potency. If I did not peel the kava you would taste the difference. Even the way you dry the kava will affect the flavor and over all quality.
Aloha.

Chris
This should be confirmation enough that Chris peels his kava. So we can probably rule out root bark causing you discomfort.

This should be confirmation enough that Chris peels his kava. So we can probably rule out root bark causing you discomfort.
Yup, never doubted the quality just figured some strains are harsher than others and im sensitive, but turns out its just because Im new , by the 4th time I can tolerate it easily now, if i get any discomfort i drink some chia seed water , thats my go to for stomach problems, works like a charm . Thanks for all your input though !! Much appreciated.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Yup, never doubted the quality just figured some strains are harsher than others and im sensitive, but turns out its just because Im new , by the 4th time I can tolerate it easily now, if i get any discomfort i drink some chia seed water , thats my go to for stomach problems, works like a charm . Thanks for all your input though !! Much appreciated.
By the way, the quote is from an unrelated thread. Here's the full thread in case you want more context: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/the-kava-society-palarsul.15563/