What's new

Our attempt with growing kava (As a hobby)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Viti Levu is Fiji's largest island. There are mountain ranges through the middle of it and everything on the windward side is *always* wet and green and everything on the other side is very dry outside of the wet season.

Kava grows well on the other side of Viti Levu, but this side (where Neil and I live) is too dry for kava. The commercial crop here is sugarcane as there is a pronounced wet season for growing and then a dry period that increases the sugar content before harvest.

3 weeks ago my back yard was bone dry and beginning to show big cracks in the ground, but the wet season just started and the grass is already thick and four inches long. It should now rain a few days a week until the end of April.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Unfortunately they died. My dad sprayed weed killer around the plants and somehow it got onto the kava :(
Bummer, ya gonna try again?
It doesn't even require weed killer to kill mine, I baby them and they still die. :banghead:

Hi there,
Would you have any idea how I could transport some kava cuttings out of Fiji? My partner and I are attempting to grow some kava in Indonesia and we have spoken to contacts in customs in Indo but wondering if its possible to take them out of Fiji and how to go about doing so?

One more question, will kava grow on sloped land ie. on a mountain slope? Or does it have to be flat.
Thank you in advance?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Hi there,
Would you have any idea how I could transport some kava cuttings out of Fiji? My partner and I are attempting to grow some kava in Indonesia and we have spoken to contacts in customs in Indo but wondering if its possible to take them out of Fiji and how to go about doing so?

One more question, will kava grow on sloped land ie. on a mountain slope? Or does it have to be flat.
Thank you in advance?
I don't wish you ill personally, but I hope this project fails. Indonesia has a lot going for it. The Pacific Islands, not so much. It would be a crying shame if Indonesia, not content with the genocide of Melanesians in West Papua, also took from the other Melanesian nations the only crop for which they currently have a comparative advantage. Please don't introduce non-native kava cultivars to Indonesia.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Unfortunately they didnt survive :(
Sorry to hear that.
I drove up the Sabeto valley once and saw a small patch of yaqona growing there. They were growing in a very shaded area under large raintrees at the bottom of a mountain so the micro-climate there was much better for grog than in the flat plains of Nadi. Even so, they were very stunted and not doing well at all.
On my last trip to Taveuni I brought back four young plants (~4months old). I washed away the soil, wrapped them in wet tissue paper and brought them over. They're in pots for now, and I'll put them in the ground if they're still alive in 3 months. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting thread, thanks for sharing! I would love to have a kava plant at home, because of my big interest in keeping indoor plants.