What's new

Ohh, I get it... "NAMBAWAN".

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
I was already familiar with Nambawan being an end-of-the-day-and-you're-done-with-work kind of Kava, but I decided to try what was, for me, a low amount before visiting with some friends yesterday.

So I put 10 grams of dry powder in an Aluball and shook it up for a few minutes. (Using a protein shaker bottle now, instead of my Alubottle. Thanks for the tip!)
About twenty minutes later I was hit with such a pleasant feeling. As mentioned in a previous post, I've been noticing more "heady" effects from Aluball vs. traditional knead-and-strain prep.
But I didn't expect this 10g of Nambawan to give such an "uplift" type feeling. When we returned from our visit, I made my 2nd shell. (Lately I've been spacing out about 3 shells.) Second shell was also 10g, and brought back that similar feeling. For the last shell, I went with what I'd normally do toward the end (with, say, Kava Supreme): TWO Aluballs each with 12 grams.

Felt pretty nice there for a while. Then some nausea hit. This is the first time I've ever really had that happen.
I always thought of myself as having a "cast-iron stomach", until last night.

So the takeaway for me is to stick with the 10-gram servings when it comes to Nambawan.
I was just curious if anyone else has had this experience with it.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I was already familiar with Nambawan being an end-of-the-day-and-you're-done-with-work kind of Kava, but I decided to try what was, for me, a low amount before visiting with some friends yesterday.

So I put 10 grams of dry powder in an Aluball and shook it up for a few minutes. (Using a protein shaker bottle now, instead of my Alubottle. Thanks for the tip!)
About twenty minutes later I was hit with such a pleasant feeling. As mentioned in a previous post, I've been noticing more "heady" effects from Aluball vs. traditional knead-and-strain prep.
But I didn't expect this 10g of Nambawan to give such an "uplift" type feeling. When we returned from our visit, I made my 2nd shell. (Lately I've been spacing out about 3 shells.) Second shell was also 10g, and brought back that similar feeling. For the last shell, I went with what I'd normally do toward the end (with, say, Kava Supreme): TWO Aluballs each with 12 grams.

Felt pretty nice there for a while. Then some nausea hit. This is the first time I've ever really had that happen.
I always thought of myself as having a "cast-iron stomach", until last night.

So the takeaway for me is to stick with the 10-gram servings when it comes to Nambawan.
I was just curious if anyone else has had this experience with it.
No doubt about it. Nambawan is strong kava, and for me tends to be very heavy. After a few shells of this in the evening I zonk out for a good 8hrs of quality sleep. It will couch lock me faster than good netflix series.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
nambawan is a word in Bislama that means the best or the first. In the kava markets it is a specific quality grade. And then, of course, it's a brand name, although a true nambawan fan doesn't really care what name it is sold under.

Ahem.
Speak the truth my friend.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Am I the only one that finds Nambwan to be a heady bomb? Sure if I drink too much, it will eventually knock me out. I never get a heavy vibe from it. It's certainly one of the best in that category for me. Moi might be comparable with a smaller concentration of kavlactones but none the less a clean, heady experience.

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
That shit is Number 1. For me it comes off super heady but later in a long session the weight comes on with legit numbness. Makes me wanna order some just thinking about it.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Am I the only one that finds Nambwan to be a heady bomb? Sure if I drink too much, it will eventually knock me out. I never get a heavy vibe from it. It's certainly one of the best in that category for me. Moi might be comparable with a smaller concentration of kavlactones but none the less a clean, heady experience.
All of these 5 star class kava lean strongly to the heady side. The old Wow and Nambawan had more of a heavy muscle feel in addition but it's been a long time. I suspect maybe they had more boroguru in the blends (which sadly seems to be extinct in the US market at this point). Since it's been a few years since we've had much in the way of high quality heavy kava I think a lot of people are describing the krunk feeling as heaviness since it drives you to sit/lay down and makes sleep very desirable. Most of the weak stuff on the market now won't take you that far and that seems to be what people often describe as "heady"..

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
All of these 5 star class kava lean strongly to the heady side. The old Wow and Nambawan had more of a heavy muscle feel in addition but it's been a long time. I suspect maybe they had more boroguru in the blends (which sadly seems to be extinct in the US market at this point). Since it's been a few years since we've had much in the way of high quality heavy kava I think a lot of people are describing the krunk feeling as heaviness since it drives you to sit/lay down and makes sleep very desirable. Most of the weak stuff on the market now won't take you that far and that seems to be what people often describe as "heady"..
Mike at KWK seems to have his hands on a good source of Borongoru (albeit a slightly different profile), would be fun to see a collab. between these guys or sum along those lines. I suppose we can just mix them, but i am not sure that would be the same.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Mike at KWK seems to have his hands on a good source of Borongoru (albeit a slightly different profile), would be fun to see a collab. between these guys or sum along those lines. I suppose we can just mix them, but i am not sure that would be the same.
The problem for me with mixing is the heavy kava isn't the same as it used to be. There aren't really many around and the ones that are just seem kinda flat. I spent nearly 2 years mixing everything with Supreme but it still wasn't bringing back that perfect combination of a head AND body buzz that fades into strong muscle relaxation and deep sedation that lasted a good 8-12 hours. At best it ends up being a short lasting heady uplift that transitions into some sedation that lasts through about half of the night.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I just ordered some of this variety after reading the reviews, and loving GHK's Moî myself. BKH was one of the first vendors that I ever bought from, and found that with multiple kavas of theirs I was getting nausea (though to be fair, I was preparing the way that they suggested which is more than I am even consuming now in a session which probably didn't help). As I continued to push past the nausea and try new varieties and vendors, the nausea eventually subsided, but I must admit I'm a bit nervous still!