What's new

Kava and beta blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hello. I don't know if this will get me in trouble on here, but I just don't received some good quality grog and I would like to try something new here...

A month ago my GP prescribed me a beta blocker for anxiety. The most common one known as inderall. They sometimes prescribe it to people off label for anxiety. For those of you who don't know, the drug blcoks the flow of adrenaline, and it's been said that it fan be used to help people overcome phobias. I have panic disorder with agoraphobia. I can work, go and play basketball, go to the market, go to the bar, work, etc but not much more than that. It's been going on for about 5 years now and I'm trying to get into therapy. Kava has helped me before in the past to help stabilize me and help me get high so that I can go places with certain people. I don't go out that much though anymore.

Back to inderall... It helps slow my breathing and my heart rate, but it does nothing for the mental aspect of my anxiety and that is troubling because it is the mental aspect for me that usually causes the panic when I go on my exposure walks to try and face my fears...

Enter kava... I was thinking, maybe if I combine kava with the inderall, I'll have the physical response shutdown with the inderall AND the mental anxiety calmed by way of the kava acting on my brains GABA receptors!!!

I'm just worried that this might harm me, so I'm proceeding with caution. Can anyone tell me what you think about my idea?

I know most if not any of you are doctor's but still you may have had past experience with anti anxiety drugs or supplements and luckily inderall is not addictive by any means.

Give me your thoughts on this please. Inderall crosses the blood brain barrier by the way...
Should I roll the dice?

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
Hey, I take propranolol (Inderal) 10mg 3 times a day and drink kava fairly regularly. I haven't noticed any issues with it but 10mgs is the lowest dose. There is the whole CYP450 liver enzyme concern that some meds such as this will, in theory, accumulate more in the body due to kava taking up those enzymes resulting in greater side effects. I think this is somewhat dose-dependent for both substances (both quantity and frequency). If you google CBD oil interactions, you will get the same concern for that, its mostly theory and some anecdotal side effects reporting of it but there are not many, if any, actual studies done so it is hard to get a clear answer. My most educated guess would be that the more pharmaceuticals you take the more likely of experiencing adverse reactions to kava. The two big no-no's to mix with kava are tylenol (Acetaminophen) and alcohol. BUT, i am just some internet goon living in my parent's basement at 40, don't take my advice in place of an expert.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I haven't personally mixed these, but I have been on this medication before. Have you done an interaction checker online? The drugs.com one says the following:

"Food can enhance the levels of propranolol in your body. You should take propranolol at the same time each day, preferably with or immediately following meals. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. Avoid drinking alcohol, which could increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking propranolol. Propranolol is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely."

This is the only warning on these two mixed together. What I would do is try it and just watch for increased sedation and see if that happens or not. Then adjust your kava dose accordingly if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.