What's new

Kava Gives Me Bad Anxiety (Some Strains)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am fairly new to kava and have been trying different strains, but one effect that hits me extremely hard from some strains is extreme anxiety.

I don't get it while I'm out actually on the kava, I get it when I'm trying to go to sleep. My night time turns in to me rotating in and out of nightmares / waking up with anxiety that borders on panic attacks. When a kava causes this it last all the way into the next day and makes me have anxiety and distorted thinking for the next 24 hours.

The worst offender so far has been melo melo from bkh, this strain is so intense for me I think if I took it eveyday I would develop a mental disorder.

Nambawan from bkh did not cause this effect (or it was very slight). This is strange because it is considered a "headier" strain.

Maybe it's not Kavain causing this?

Are there any strains that have waaaaay less cognitive effects than others?

I ordered boronguru because I think heavier strains might be the way to go, we will see.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yes this happens to me with very strong kava especially if I over do it ... which on a normal kava wouldn't be overdoing it. Like 6 to 8 tbps.

Melo Melo specifically did this to me as well. So has kava supreme.. so has borogu by really over doing it but less intense.
Hot water seems to cause more anxiety for me as well more often with certain strains ... I've taken to only using room temp to cold water to make my kava and have had much better results and haven't had the insomnia since. However I haven't had Melo Melo again since I've had kava supreme and just use it in small doses .. which is fine cause it's super strong

Yes this happens to me with very strong kava especially if I over do it ... which on a normal kava wouldn't be overdoing it. Like 6 to 8 tbps.

Melo Melo specifically did this to me as well. So has kava supreme.. so has borogu by really over doing it but less intense.
Hot water seems to cause more anxiety for me as well more often with certain strains ... I've taken to only using room temp to cold water to make my kava and have had much better results and haven't had the insomnia since. However I haven't had Melo Melo again since I've had kava supreme and just use it in small doses .. which is fine cause it's super strong

Glad to hear someone has had a similar experience. Do you find it is the heavier kavas that cause it? Borogu did something similar to me but I didnt include it in the original post because it was confounded with caffeine.

Maybe the headier kavas are the way to go for people who experience this? Nambawan (which everyone else describes as being extremely heady) did not have this effect at all.

I'll definitely try sticking to cold water as well.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I've experienced irritability as the kava wears off. I think part of it is dehydration, as I am guilty of not drinking enough water after having Kava. One thing that I've noticed, that has been pretty pronounced, is that certain strains that are more heavy/body will leave me feeling really depressed a few hours after drinking them. I try to plan my kava accordingly as a result. It has worked out best for me if I'm in a quiet environment where I can sit or lay down and relax. For going to sleep, GHK's Nene has been the best for me. It's kind of interesting as "Nene" is a colloquialism in Japanese for sleep. Other than that I've stuck to Kavafied's products mostly. The Tonga is great for daytime, as I've felt very little body effects and great anxiety relief from it. Bati is a little more heavy and puts me in a happy mood. Lapita is more sedating, and Supreme is the most sedating for me.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Bati works for me in regard to the anxiety your talking about, at least it did the last batch I bought. It's a big problem for me with many strains. I am always looking for something that doesnt give me this issue. hanakapi ai was one but its been out of stock for a long time. nene is pretty good for it, but Id like something a little heavier that also doesnt hurt my stomach.

Bati works for me in regard to the anxiety your talking about, at least it did the last batch I bought. It's a big problem for me with many strains. I am always looking for something that doesnt give me this issue. hanakapi ai was one but its been out of stock for a long time. nene is pretty good for it, but Id like something a little heavier that also doesnt hurt my stomach.
Interesting that you experience something similar. I noticed the strains you listed are generally regarded as heady. Would you say as a general pattern the heady kavas are on average more devoid of these effects? Maybe its something in heavy kavas we dont react to well?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It really depends. Nene is heady but it is calming and non stimulating. While on the other hand melo melo is heavy but it is stimulating and anxiety inducing. Bati is heady and has some energy to it but I find it to be very clean smooth moodlift kinda feeling rather than anxiety. Hanakapi ai is heavy but it is chill. The couch lock kavas do give me more anxiety it's safe to say.

It really depends. Nene is heady but it is calming and non stimulating. While on the other hand melo melo is heavy but it is stimulating and anxiety inducing. Bati is heady and has some energy to it but I find it to be very clean smooth moodlift kinda feeling rather than anxiety. Hanakapi ai is heavy but it is chill. The couch lock kavas do give me more anxiety it's safe to say.
Very interesting, wish we could pinpoint exacty what causes it, makes trying new strains like russian roulette lol.

Appreciate your feedback I will give those strains a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.