What's new

How many kava drinkers have you "converted"?

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
I was wondering how many people have tried kava due to your recommendation, and did any of them like it? Do you get together and drink it together now?

I have tried to convert three people so far. One was unfortunately allergic to it (he was very itchy the day after drinking it). He even tried it multiple times (about 3x) with me, different varieties of kava, to see if it was just that one and unfortunately he kept having the same reaction. The other two people tried it with me, thought it was ok, but didn't seem to love it as much as I do.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I was wondering how many people have tried kava due to your recommendation, and did any of them like it? Do you get together and drink it together now?

I have tried to convert three people so far. One was unfortunately allergic to it (he was very itchy the day after drinking it). He even tried it multiple times (about 3x) with me, different varieties of kava, to see if it was just that one and unfortunately he kept having the same reaction. The other two people tried it with me, thought it was ok, but didn't seem to love it as much as I do.
My wife now has her own gallon of Kalm with Kava concentrate, so at least one.

;)

schatz

itchin for kava
I have tried with four people and only one for sure convert. But he is a terrible alcoholic and would probably be dead by now if not for kava, he has been off and on for a few years. My wife and daughter and son do not like the taste, and cannot get past that. My wife drinks nightly and my daughter drinks occasionally, and my son never drinks alcohol.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I only got 2 people to stick with it. Many ask for shells when I am around but they don't buy their own.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I only got 2 people to stick with it. Many ask for shells when I am around but they don't buy their own.
Try to get your friends that converted to start buying their own stash, then you can go over like I did with my friend and drink his kava. I did that for a little while, perhaps too much to a point my buddy and I weren't getting anything done but hangout in the porch and drink kava all afternoon.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
i have 2 people who i have converted in a sense that they use it in their daily lives and choose it over booze, and i have 3 who like it and drink it with me on a regular basis. A couple others who I showed it to and they liked it but not enough to want to drink it unless they are in the mood for it specifically and tgey would not buy it. Still they say they valued the experience. Only 2 folks i showed it to got a bad experience. My dad and another friend. The friend hated the taste and would likely not drink it again and my dad would probably drink it with me if i told him he should give it another shot. He doesn't really understand it though and tried to drink a beer after i gave him a shell. He's a very regular drinker but doesn't drink heavily.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Just one so far - husband who finally had to try after watching me choking this vile stuff down for a few months. Curiosity got to him. Now he insists on having it most days. A second possible convert is In the works, but not sure she has tried yet. She was very interested even though I warned her that the stuff is unpleasant.
This is my experience. Wife now occasionally partakes. All others have stuck to their particular vice. Habits are a tough thing to break.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
None. I've gotten my S.O. to try it a handful of times, but he says he barely feels it and it's not worth the taste.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...

My husband loves his Guinness and vodka/seltzer. All of my friends drink to relax. No one will even try to convert to kava. I, for one, feel much better drinking kava than alcohol to calm my nerves and relax muscles but it is just not catching on in my circle. Hey, more for me! I have a full cupboard of unopened kava (and, of course, some of my favorites that I've bought over and over half empty). It's a security blanket for me, I suppose. lol.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I think most US kava drinkers find and like kava because they were already searching for an alternative. Alcohol however is an intrinsic part of the US culture and is celebrated and used for everything. It is interwoven into our sports, our celebrations, our work, our social norms and our play. To try something else that tastes bad when you are happy with alcohol is not going to happen. I don't ever see kava being a huge market in the US on the scale of even 1/1000th of the alcohol market.