What's new

Why is it making me all pissed off?

Eric Wetzel

So, I posted a question a few days ago. My girlfriend and i are new to KavaKava. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

But since i have been drinking the KavaKava...every single time after i drink it in like half hour I become really....idk...pissy. I just get in a bad mood. Makes me very irritable. It usually goes away three or four hours later.

My girlfriend said this morning batch was the first time she felt it. And she loved it. We dosed at the same time. I got grouchy.

And no one really knows me but i never get mad. And i have every time we drink this.

Anyone know why? And does it do it to anyone else? In using 4 tablespoons powder to 16 oz of water. Or two cups.

Idk. I'm still not giving up on this drink. I believe it helps people. So many people just maybe not me.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So, I posted a question a few days ago. My girlfriend and i are new to KavaKava. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

But since i have been drinking the KavaKava...every single time after i drink it in like half hour I become really....idk...pissy. I just get in a bad mood. Makes me very irritable. It usually goes away three or four hours later.

My girlfriend said this morning batch was the first time she felt it. And she loved it. We dosed at the same time. I got grouchy.

And no one really knows me but i never get mad. And i have every time we drink this.

Anyone know why? And does it do it to anyone else? In using 4 tablespoons powder to 16 oz of water. Or two cups.

Idk. I'm still not giving up on this drink. I believe it helps people. So many people just maybe not me.
Kava is one of those things that demands a certain set and setting. For me personally, I'm exactly the same way. Once I drink kava any loud noises chip away at the core of my being. I immediately turn the television down, and the lights stay at a comfy 25% during the nights now because too much light is also aggravating during a kava session. Two things to avoid with kava are loud noises and bright lights.

My suggestion is to try kava when you have absolutely zero responsibilities weighing on you, low lights, and low noise level. Give that a shot and see how you feel.

Edit: Also maybe give it a shot towards the end of your day in the evening.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I tended to get irritable any time I drank too little or drank a really weak grog. Almost like I was close to my sweet spot but didn’t quite make it and since my mind and body were anticipating anxiety relief but didn’t get it my brain was telling me to drink more. It was so common for me that if I had only a small amount left before the next order arrived I would just skip drinking it entirely till I had enough for a proper session

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
If I'm drinking Kava while listening to birds, and someone shows up and I get put to labor for a few hours, I drink more Kava after, and depending on the nature of the interruption to my Me-Time, I'll adjust the Kava appropriately.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Yes Zac, try and pair a shell with food, right now I have mouth-tingling kava on the couch with a sweet banana for munching. I feel the claim "You must drink kava on an empty stomach" should be advice, not a rule - if I'm brewing or drinking my first shell of the day and someone calls me to dinner I'll go eat the food while I can, which is an important life lesson. either way - I agree Kava is a fantastic "before dinner tea". :) grateful

Milk from nuts is wonderful too. Almond milk coconut milk cashew milk

Easter Thorn

Kava Curious
I think you have some good replies. Here is my perspective: Most use Kava for a purpose. If it is anxiety, frustration, to relax, to avoid other substances, to get though the day for whatever reason - and you have HOPE - the hope is not always materialized as quickly as you would like for all the previous reasons. Additionally, Kava users sometimes deal with the less favorable effects for the positive ones. Some are very good at this. But stomach upset, prolonged expectations, taste, and then the natural human, more often male, damn it sets in in one form or another. Equally, this is a chemical and many of them. This does not apply to the previous that I stated as much, but St. John's Wort for a reason that I just as you do not know, gets me very upset when it is one if not the most used medicine, to thought of OTC as here in the states. GABA agonists however, as I believe is Kava, work very well for me. Valerian, Aswagandha, etc. are of course different, but you could see if it is just the GABA agonist effects that may somehow be messing with you. But saying you never get angry is not different that someone saying I never get happy. Kava is a natural medicine that can possibly do different things to different people. I get a bit impulsive if I take Kava, the good mood gets me upset when others are not in the mode of a good-mood time. Etc. Also, as with anything that makes you feel a tab better, anything that breaks the mood, especially when you have not worked deeply into why you need the medicine, any little thing can set someone off. The worst of examples isn't even someone else, a mover, mail, etc., take a great burger you just fixed and finally take a bite and drop sauce on your shirt. Even that can really make that great burger get tossed. If that happened to me, and I am not a hothead, but that would ruin my day when another would just laugh it off - others I presume would chuck the BBQ. We are all different. But for fixes, look within and around. The set and setting that was also mentioned. Also, I am always amazed at the scientific knowledge of some members here - keep in mind that interactions would always exist if you are taking anything else. Lastly, I reread your question. Considering the time of onset and then the time of the end, I would look at the period that the Kava is in your stomach and find some strategies there too. Good luck. Peace.

tarragon

Kava Curious
One of the things I like about kava is that it brings to my attention things I didn't know about myself. The first couple of times I got angry I thought it was because life interfered and messed with my kava groove. And that certainly is a part of it. Then I got to thinking, hmm... perhaps I am not quite the calm easygoing person I thought I was. If you are a person who never gets angry it could be you have some stuff underlying the surface of your psyche that you have been holding down and the kava wants to help you clear it out. Not necessarily any big deal things, just maybe stuff that's been there too long, or in a sensitive area. Like a tiny sliver can cause big pain. So, all the above suggestions are good and as you make friends with kava you can make friends with yourself and get to know yourself some more. I did not do soul searching or anything like that but just started noticing and wondering a bit and being okay with whatever. Or, maybe you could try a different variety of kava.

Tumarumaru

Gunga la Gunga
Yes Zac, try and pair a shell with food, right now I have mouth-tingling kava on the couch with a sweet banana for munching. I feel the claim "You must drink kava on an empty stomach" should be advice, not a rule - if I'm brewing or drinking my first shell of the day and someone calls me to dinner I'll go eat the food while I can, which is an important life lesson. either way - I agree Kava is a fantastic "before dinner tea". :) grateful

Milk from nuts is wonderful too. Almond milk coconut milk cashew milk
I have discovered that Voortman's Shredded Coconut Cookies are fantastic with my BKH Melo Melo!! Yes, put a little something in your stomach.