What's new

News Article What are your thoughts on this?

Transcent

Kava saved my life
https://www.pressreader.com/fiji/the-fiji-times/20190715/281487867924630
I find it very strange that two people In the same sitting could have died at the hands of kava. Symptoms of acute liver failure usually takes 24-48 hours and I find it highly unlikely that they both would have had such an adverse reaction. Theres nothing in the article about liver failure or confirmation that the kava actually caused the fatality's but how else would they die from it? The only other thing that is mentions is the that a stranger may have prepared it for them. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
https://www.pressreader.com/
I find it very strange that two people could have died at the hands of kava. Symptoms of acute liver failure usually takes 24-48 hours and I find it highly unlikely that they both would have died from such. Theres nothing in the article about liver failure or confirmation that the kava actually caused the fatality's but how else would they die from it? The only other thing that is mentions is the that a stranger prepared it for them. What are your thoughts?
Do you happen to have another link? I'm just seeing the front page of the pressreader.com page.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh wow. Thanks @SelfBiasResistor

I had heard about this in the news but had no idea it had anything to do with kava. So the kava was even tested? Something's really wrong with this situation. If they were newbies to kava, someone made that for them. That someone has answers.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
The original Fiji Times article with the irresponsible headline clearly says that the kava was tested and confirmed to be uncontaminated.

I also don't think they had to be introduced to kava by anyone. More than one shop in their hotel (and at the Denarau Marina) sells kava and kava kits targeted at tourists with instructions on how to prep kava. It's quite possible they simply wanted to try kava themselves. In any case, hotel security cameras would have recorded anyone else visiting them.

I reckon it was either food poisoning or less likely accidental poisoning by bed bug pesticide.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
More than one shop in their hotel (and at the Denarau Marina) sells kava and kava kits targeted at tourists with instructions on how to prep kava.
Thank you! That's something I didn't know. I envisioned the room littered with used kava bags and 5 gallon buckets and that had me thinking there had to be another party, but if the hotel shops sell kits with instructions and even aimed at tourist that doesn't seem fishy to me at all.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
The original Fiji Times article with the irresponsible headline clearly says that the kava was tested and confirmed to be uncontaminated.

I also don't think they had to be introduced to kava by anyone. More than one shop in their hotel (and at the Denarau Marina) sells kava and kava kits targeted at tourists with instructions on how to prep kava. It's quite possible they simply wanted to try kava themselves. In any case, hotel security cameras would have recorded anyone else visiting them.

I reckon it was either food poisoning or less likely accidental poisoning by bed bug pesticide.
Yes - the bedbug pesticide kills quite a few tourists and it doesn't always get reported internationally. I remember about 10 years ago 2-3 girls died at the same time in a hotel I was staying in in chiang mai. The hotel tried to distance itself, but they had sprayed the day before.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I had been following this story and thought it had already been determined that Paraquat was the potential cause authorities were looking at.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
https://www.pressreader.com/fiji/the-fiji-times/20190624/281578062193950

Edit: This one, however, is older than the article that includes kava by a few weeks.
Thank you and for sure thanks to- @Transcent . I, for one, am downloading the "no links between kava..." article for future reference.
As mentioned, I have been following this story from the beginning hoping that kava would not be blamed (somehow)
This morning when I saw the first story, posted on these Forums, my heart sank. Obviously we know it is not kava, but others?
So far google news links are not showing any updates, most of the stories about this are from last month.
Let's hope the No Links with Kava story remains the focus.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you and for sure thanks to- @Transcent . I, for one, am downloading the "no links between kava..." article for future reference.
As mentioned, I have been following this story from the beginning hoping that kava would not be blamed (somehow)
This morning when I saw the first story, posted on these Forums, my heart sank. Obviously we know it is not kava, but others?
So far google news links are not showing any updates, most of the stories about this are from last month.
Let's hope the No Links with Kava story remains the focus.
Agreed 100%. I can see how kava may have acted as a vector for whatever chemical they ingested, but as to it actually causing it? Strong doubt.

What I see going down is something like this if it were to involve kava at all:

The kava maker is hunched over the kava bowl or bucket, possibly just crouching over it instead of sitting in a chair. Their balance slips, they land both hands on the carpet just to catch themselves and then go back to kneading. Whatever was on the floor is now in the kava.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Agreed 100%. I can see how kava may have acted as a vector for whatever chemical they ingested, but as to it actually causing it? Strong doubt.

What I see going down is something like this if it were to involve kava at all:

The kava maker is hunched over the kava bowl or bucket, possibly just crouching over it instead of sitting in a chair. Their balance slips, they land both hands on the carpet just to catch themselves and then go back to kneading. Whatever was on the floor is now in the kava.
In the possible scenario you describe, the third party should also have been afflicted. It is inconceivable that a Fijian made their acquaintance, offered to make them some kava, mixed the kava for them, and didn't drink some himself.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In the possible scenario you describe, the third party should also have been afflicted. It is inconceivable that a Fijian made their acquaintance, offered to make them some kava, mixed the kava for them, and didn't drink some himself.
Hadn't thought of it that way. Makes sense that we'd see a third casualty from it if that were to play out like my scenario.