What's new

New questions

Hello!

I have some new questions. I've been using Kava for a month. I trade off using an Alu Ball and 80 micron mesh strainer bag for prep. I notice a sludge collects at the bottom of the pitcher I keep the prepared drink in after kneading so I do know some root is getting through the strainer bag. If anyone has time to help out with some insight, that would be wonderful.

• I have just started seeing some skin effects - red spots on stomach, kind of a burning itchy feeling on forearm and legs, and dry fingertips - just in the evening after drinking kava. Is that because my bag mesh is too large? Should I get new ones? Also, is 75 smaller or larger holes? I can't seem to put that together looking through the options available on the internet.
  • I use plenty of root powder and knead for quite a while (10+minutes, till it is no longer slimy feeling). I feel effects - if I drink quite a bit - for a relatively short amount of time. So far, I've tried Kalm with Kava and the cheapest for the amount on Amazon - Wakakon brands. I am willing to try others, I just thought since I don't know the difference anyway as a newb, I would just start there. I have read through many other threads on this forum and I don't want to get "krunk" necessarily, but I can't say I feel much after 15-30 minutes. Am I doing it wrong? I have had enough that I get a mild headache or mild nausea and then stop immediately, but on the way, I can't say I experienced very noticeable anxiety reduction or relaxed/euphoric feelings. I am aware of the RT so thought maybe I should keep trying, but it doesn't seem to change much.
THank you!!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hello!

I have some new questions. I've been using Kava for a month. I trade off using an Alu Ball and 80 micron mesh strainer bag for prep. I notice a sludge collects at the bottom of the pitcher I keep the prepared drink in after kneading so I do know some root is getting through the strainer bag. If anyone has time to help out with some insight, that would be wonderful.

• I have just started seeing some skin effects - red spots on stomach, kind of a burning itchy feeling on forearm and legs, and dry fingertips - just in the evening after drinking kava. Is that because my bag mesh is too large? Should I get new ones? Also, is 75 smaller or larger holes? I can't seem to put that together looking through the options available on the internet.
  • I use plenty of root powder and knead for quite a while (10+minutes, till it is no longer slimy feeling). I feel effects - if I drink quite a bit - for a relatively short amount of time. So far, I've tried Kalm with Kava and the cheapest for the amount on Amazon - Wakakon brands. I am willing to try others, I just thought since I don't know the difference anyway as a newb, I would just start there. I have read through many other threads on this forum and I don't want to get "krunk" necessarily, but I can't say I feel much after 15-30 minutes. Am I doing it wrong? I have had enough that I get a mild headache or mild nausea and then stop immediately, but on the way, I can't say I experienced very noticeable anxiety reduction or relaxed/euphoric feelings. I am aware of the RT so thought maybe I should keep trying, but it doesn't seem to change much.
THank you!!
Skin effects - the reddness and itchiness sounds more like a mild reaction vs. traditional dermo. As for the amount of sediment you are consuming and its relation to skin effects there is a mild anecdotal correlation between drinking more of the sediment vs. how quickly and how badly you get dermo. The micron size quoted for the mesh is the size of the openings - so 75 microns is smaller and will let through less sediment than 80 microns (assuming an even distribution of particle sizes...). So yes in general a smaller micron size will help with skin effects, and produce less sediment in your grog. It will also be less strong.
We may need more information on how much kava you are preparing. Also how quickly are you drinking it to determine if you are drinking enough for long lasting effects. If you are getting a mild headache you could be dehydrated prior to drinking. General recommendation is to be good and hydrated through out the day before your session - but try not to eat 3-4 hrs prior for best results.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The reaction you describe isnt a normal effect of kava, it’s not entirely uncommon though either. It may subside as you continue or it may get worse. There’s also a chance that certain kavas or chemotypes would be more likely to have that effect on you.

The sediment is good, as long as it’s very fine particulates...that’s really where the majority of the potency of dry kava seems to comes from.

When you say you use plenty of powder, how much is that exactly? I use 8-12 Tablespoons kneaded in about 3 cups of water. That amount ‘should’ always be plenty. Others can feel full effects from 3-6Tbsp.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I will make sure to stay hydrated and fasted in the hours before kava. I was using about 6Tb with about 3 cups/water and have about a cup and then a subsequent one about 20 minutes later. I just tried 8T so will see how that goes. Maybe I will keep close track of the exact ratios for a while till I get a good system down.

This is all so interesting - crazy how differently kava affects different people!