What's new

New Guy / Question About Fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone, I'm new. I've used kava on and off for a few years, but I've recently started using it more regularly, and it's been a wonderful experience so far; having it a few times a week is very different from just the occasional drink. I'm really grateful for it. I have OCD, so I've always struggled with anxiety. I was self-medicating with marijuana, and as useful as that can be for some people, I was getting to the point where it was just exacerbating my anxiety. Kava has been a life-changer for me. It's helped me to feel so much more grounded, and it's also helped me to keep from falling into negative mental rabbit holes and thought spirals.

The only negative side effect that I've been having is fatigue. The day after a good kava session, I just feel so worn out and lethargic. It's definitely not the same as a hangover, and I can still function, but I just feel like I'm moving really slowly and usually end up having to take a nap at some point. In your experience (if you've had this same effect), does it get any better as your body gets used to it? Or is there anything that you'd suggest to help it? I'm trying to avoid caffeine these days, but I'm definitely open to any other suggestions.

Thanks a lot :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi, everyone, I'm new. I've used kava on and off for a few years, but I've recently started using it more regularly, and it's been a wonderful experience so far; having it a few times a week is very different from just the occasional drink. I'm really grateful for it. I have OCD, so I've always struggled with anxiety. I was self-medicating with marijuana, and as useful as that can be for some people, I was getting to the point where it was just exacerbating my anxiety. Kava has been a life-changer for me. It's helped me to feel so much more grounded, and it's also helped me to keep from falling into negative mental rabbit holes and thought spirals.

The only negative side effect that I've been having is fatigue. The day after a good kava session, I just feel so worn out and lethargic. It's definitely not the same as a hangover, and I can still function, but I just feel like I'm moving really slowly and usually end up having to take a nap at some point. In your experience (if you've had this same effect), does it get any better as your body gets used to it? Or is there anything that you'd suggest to help it? I'm trying to avoid caffeine these days, but I'm definitely open to any other suggestions.

Hello, and welcome!

That fatigue could be the kavalactones still kicking around in your system from the night before. We have people who seek this and call it the "shield effect". It can give you an edge on anxiety that may bother you at the beginning of the day without having to consume more kava. If morning-time anxiety isn't your thing, I can see it being annoying. The effect may fade a bit over time, but even years later I continue to feel kava's effect into the next morning. It can make waking up a bit more difficult, but after a while you get accustomed to Mellow Mornings™ when the kava is still doing its thing. If it bothers you excessively, I would suggest cutting back the amount of kava you're consuming, as well as looking at lighter kavas for your physiology.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
Hello, and welcome!

That fatigue could be the kavalactones still kicking around in your system from the night before. We have people who seek this and call it the "shield effect". It can give you an edge on anxiety that may bother you at the beginning of the day without having to consume more kava. If morning-time anxiety isn't your thing, I can see it being annoying. The effect may fade a bit over time, but even years later I continue to feel kava's effect into the next morning. It can make waking up a bit more difficult, but after a while you get accustomed to Mellow Mornings™ when the kava is still doing its thing. If it bothers you excessively, I would suggest cutting back the amount of kava you're consuming, as well as looking at lighter kavas for your physiology.
I'm definitely someone who struggles with the fact that a) it takes a decent amount of kava for me to feel it, and b) I get "hangovers" from a decent amount of kava. So, you can see the bind. Nevertheless, @DiscoUkulele I also get the next-day fatigue, so you're not alone. I do imagine it has something to do with kavalactones still kicking around. I notice if I drink kava earlier in the day and then exercise in the AM the next day, it's largely negated. Nevertheless, I feel you.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Wimbly has a good point. You also have to consider that see kavas are kinder on the body and are less likely to affect you too much the next day. Most GHK strains are like this for me. Kalm borogu is strong and well rounded without much hangover. Nambawan is a kava that can have a next day hangover. Squanch too.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

have you tried rather than having one heavy sesh in a day, maybe breaking it up a bit? I mean drinking the same amount over the course of the day, but more frequent smaller amounts. You miss the big krunk that way, but you also miss the fatigue, IME.

Hey y'all, thanks a lot for the advice. I think I've been drinking too heavily in a relatively short amount of time. I'm going to try easing up a bit, and getting up to do something physical before work has been a goal of mine anyways, so I'll see how that works. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.