What's new

Noob question. Drink the dregs?

Danny V

Just what it sounds like. The silt at the bottom of a cup of kava. Do you drink it? Will it contribute to potency or just to a stomach ache?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just what it sounds like. The silt at the bottom of a cup of kava. Do you drink it? Will it contribute to potency or just to a stomach ache?
Depends how sensitive you are to it. Most people drink the sediment at the bottom, it's where the concentrantion of kavalactones are, just be sure to strain it well with a 75-100 micron bag.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In a pinch, add more water, stir, then chug. Another nice alternative is to spread that sediment out on a saucer to let it dry in the sun. When dry it is nice flakes you can put under your tongue for a very nice little 5 minute kava ride. Or just accumulate the dried sediment bits in a jar. When you have enough, mill to a fine powder. This is home made instant. 1 TBS stirred in an 8 oz glass, makes a nice grog. Or, put it in a smoothie maker with orange juice, makes a great kava refresher over ice.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
In a pinch, add more water, stir, then chug. Another nice alternative is to spread that sediment out on a saucer to let it dry in the sun. When dry it is nice flakes you can put under your tongue for a very nice little 5 minute kava ride. Or just accumulate the dried sediment bits in a jar. When you have enough, mill to a fine powder. This is home made instant. 1 TBS stirred in an 8 oz glass, makes a nice grog. Or, put it in a smoothie maker with orange juice, makes a great kava refresher over ice.
At the end of the night I have taken to not rinsing out my grog bowl and letting it dry. The flakes are a nice way to kick off the day's sessions with a heady kick.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I have found the last sip potent.
My skin has dried from the same Kava. I refer to it as 'sand' to my friends, wish me to use 'dregs' instead?
I have frozen it, had it on a day when no fresh root was available, left unsatisfied with a tongue that was not numb.

It varies for me. It is how you make your tea. If too much escapes the strainer, dry skin, possible solar plexus discomfort, or may not have much Kava left. Made well, it can be very good and smooth, I have found in public when drinking tea made at home I will add a little water and rinse my bottle of tea and drink that. Even if it has 30% or more of this thick collection I love to shake it up each time before I drink it. Bula!