What's new

Varnish leaking?

kava_monk

My new Tanoa is “leaking” or “bleeding” a varnish/color. I put regular water into the bowl, and noticed that the water turned the color of the finish/varnish. Also, the decorative carving on the rim of the bowl which is black, is leaking/smearing when wet!
Is this bowl decoration only?! Is there a way to avoid all the chemical leaking? I have used butcher block oil and wax and still doesn’t seem to work. Maybe I just need more coats? If you have had this issue please let me know how you corrected the problem, thank you!
FDB910B1-B5F6-4F0F-9965-E677B4164FAA.jpeg

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My new Tanoa is “leaking” or “bleeding” a varnish/color. I put regular water into the bowl, and noticed that the water turned the color of the finish/varnish. Also, the decorative carving on the rim of the bowl which is black, is leaking/smearing when wet!
Is this bowl decoration only?! Is there a way to avoid all the chemical leaking? I have used butcher block oil and wax and still doesn’t seem to work. Maybe I just need more coats? If you have had this issue please let me know how you corrected the problem, thank you! View attachment 10241
Just to be safe I would not use it. Depending on where you got it from some stain can also contain lead (probably not the varnish) as well. You could try sanding it out...or covering it with a layer of food safe polyurethane which should be just fine to use once it cures.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Kalm with Kava

If I'm not mistaken I believe I was told to soak the tanoa in water overnight if I intended on using it for drinking as the stain that's normally used is water based and will come off if you rub it, or wet it.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Traditional tanoas are stained (in Samoa at least) by burying them in mangrove mud which is harmless, but the tourist pieces like yours are more likely to be stain and varnish from a tin.
Personally I would not use it to drink from, but a fine sanding will improve it. I wouldnt put wax on the inside of a bowl used for drinking either - maybe some coconut oil occasionally

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I bought one at the flea market in Samoa...filled it up with water and all the stain started coming out. I was afraid to use it for a while cuz I know these things are made by dudes in a 3rd world village without necessarily having any safety regulations or “food safe/non-toxic” requirements. Eventually I took a rag and water and rubbed it clean a few times, the bare wood looked ugly so I rubbed some oil into it, let it sit out for a long time and rubbed some more oil in. Then after about a year I put water in it a few times and swirled it around to see if I could get any discoloration...but it seems all good now. I only use it for kava a few times a year though and there are definitely faster and more professional ways to get this done.

Last edited:

kava_monk

Vinaka! Great tips! I think I will sand it down and then do a food safe polyurethane...wife got the Tanoa for me as a Christmas gift hate to not be able to use it!