What's new

Newbie question...

Stocky007

Kava Curious
So I am quite new to kava - decided to take the plunge back in early November to help wind-down and relieve some work anxiety. I picked up a Kalm with Kava sampler pack with Loa Waka, Borongoru, Pouni Ono.

I've been following the traditional prep instructions on the back of the Kalm with Kava bags - 8oz of hot from the tap water, 3 tablespoons of kava in a strainer bag, let sit in the water for 5 mins, then knead and ring out the bag for 5 mins - chill and consume. Definitely getting a numbing sensation after I down the 8oz glass of kava - but haven't really felt like I've experienced anything close to euphoric or krunk. There are times where I do feel a bit more relaxed but I wouldn't say the sensation was significant. I've been mostly using the Borongoru.

So my question...am I doing it right? I know there is reverse tolerance, I've not been consuming everyday - about 2 times a week since the 2nd week of November, but I have been taking 3x Gaia Herbs Kava capsules pretty faithfully each day for the last 2 months, so I figured that would contribute to overcoming reverse tolerance.

I've been thinking about brewing a double batch using the above prep instructions - 2x 8oz glasses spaced out 15 to 20 mins apart to see if that would do anything.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So I am quite new to kava - decided to take the plunge back in early November to help wind-down and relieve some work anxiety. I picked up a Kalm with Kava sampler pack with Loa Waka, Borongoru, Pouni Ono.

I've been following the traditional prep instructions on the back of the Kalm with Kava bags - 8oz of hot from the tap water, 3 tablespoons of kava in a strainer bag, let sit in the water for 5 mins, then knead and ring out the bag for 5 mins - chill and consume. Definitely getting a numbing sensation after I down the 8oz glass of kava - but haven't really felt like I've experienced anything close to euphoric or krunk. There are times where I do feel a bit more relaxed but I wouldn't say the sensation was significant. I've been mostly using the Borongoru.

So my question...am I doing it right? I know there is reverse tolerance, I've not been consuming everyday - about 2 times a week since the 2nd week of November, but I have been taking 3x Gaia Herbs Kava capsules pretty faithfully each day for the last 2 months, so I figured that would contribute to overcoming reverse tolerance.

I've been thinking about brewing a double batch using the above prep instructions - 2x 8oz glasses spaced out 15 to 20 mins apart to see if that would do anything.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
3 Tablespoons is about 21-28 grams. Add two three more. Up your water amount to 450ml of tap cold water and heat it up for 1 minute and 20 second in the microwave. This should give you roughly 120°F water. Knead with that for 7 minutes. chill and drink the entire thing at once. Be sure you're tired and your stomach is empty. You should experience something close to, if not a full krunk.

Edit: And Welcome aboard!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you for the welcome and the advice! That did the trick! I’ve had some really great kava experiences since!

My apologies for not thanking you sooner, one of the things that lead me to kava has been some pretty crippling anxiety.

Life has had me pretty overwhelmed as of late.
No apologies necessary. When we share here, we share for everyone including those who may never respond or even never have an account :) We share for everyone.

Very happy you're finding relief in kava, and I totally feel you on the crippling anxiety. Life finds ways of putting us through some exquisite pain. You're among many, myself included, who seek refuge from that. While kava wont make our problems go away, it certainly helps us deal with them.

Stocky007

Kava Curious
Thank you for that statement- it is very uplifting!

I've most certainly been finding relief - times its been what has gotten me through the day. I am so glad that I've found this community for sure. I love reading the discussions and learning from experience.